Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4800 Miles later my Upper A-Arm mount finally ripped off. Surprisingly I wasn't crawling when it broke. Heres a Couple of pictures from my repair. Reinforce it BEFORE it breaks is my suggestion. Honda reinforced and placed a hardened washer on my 2018 Model in the rear of the upper arm but the front of the upper arm mount is a vulnerable place for a crack and eventually will rip off the frame. Big tires, more offset, strong a-arms and crawling probably contributed to the a-arm being ripped off. I opted to weld these brackets on but I feel that possibly just bolting this on using the bolts from the bumper and the upper-arm bolt would of definitely stiffen it up!

This is what the frame looked like before the repair. The tube is almost as thin as the roll cage!

20200924 210324

Took a bit of grinding and welding to get the original broken piece to fit back on the tube exactly the way it was from the factory. I was able to weld through the tube where the bumper slides through pretty easily. I also welded it on the opposite side (Where there is no factory weld) so it got welded from both sides.

20200924 220536

The brace started life as a 3x3" 1/4" thick piece of angle iron I positioned it and traced out the tab with a sharpie and marked the hole. Drilled the a-arm upper bolt hole first and re-fitted it to the frame and bolted it all the way down. Then I took a 90 degree pick and used it to scratch the exact location of the holes. I then removed the bracket to drill the remaining bumper bolt holes. I also bent the lower part of the bracket so it would meet the tube the a-arm tab is welded to in the front to give it a little more surface area.

20200924 230012

This picture is after it was finally welded into place. I welded it pretty much everywhere I could, including down the "ear" to join the two pieces together.

20200925 001042

At this point it was 1:30am, but its ready for the next adventure. If it breaks again, I think it will either shear the bolt (Hopefully) OR really break the frame. At that point Ill think of something else :D. I thought that it would never happen to me but thinking back It, I could of easily saved myself the headache and make the same bracket except bolting it together and skipped all the welding. I needed to reinforce it anyway for the long travel suspension I plan on doing this winter :)

20200925 013628

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
All tool kinda guys should have a welder. If you can dream it, you can make it. Reinforcing weak and broken frame bits is a perfect example of their utility. Well done. 👍 Did you need a longer upper arm bolt? 🤔

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All tool kinda guys should have a welder. If you can dream it, you can make it. Reinforcing weak and broken frame bits is a perfect example of their utility. Well done. 👍 Did you need a longer upper arm bolt? 🤔

I was able to reuse the factory bolts however that is only temporary as I will be using a Polaris bolt and nut that @ToddACimer figured out will work on a Pioneer and won't loosen up like the factory bolt.

Polaris #7518472 Bolt
Polaris #7547313 Nut

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kudos on the repair!

I’ve been thinking about this for some time. I have access to a tube lazer that I could prototype some either weldments or reinforcements that could be bolted on?

I need to spend some time mocking up how to square it all up...

J

Jbo502

Supporting Member
Nov 23, 2020
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4800 Miles later my Upper A-Arm mount finally ripped off. Surprisingly I wasn't crawling when it broke. Heres a Couple of pictures from my repair. Reinforce it BEFORE it breaks is my suggestion. Honda reinforced and placed a hardened washer on my 2018 Model in the rear of the upper arm but the front of the upper arm mount is a vulnerable place for a crack and eventually will rip off the frame. Big tires, more offset, strong a-arms and crawling probably contributed to the a-arm being ripped off. I opted to weld these brackets on but I feel that possibly just bolting this on using the bolts from the bumper and the upper-arm bolt would of definitely stiffen it up!

This is what the frame looked like before the repair. The tube is almost as thin as the roll cage!

View attachment 226410

Took a bit of grinding and welding to get the original broken piece to fit back on the tube exactly the way it was from the factory. I was able to weld through the tube where the bumper slides through pretty easily. I also welded it on the opposite side (Where there is no factory weld) so it got welded from both sides.

View attachment 226411

The brace started life as a 3x3" 1/4" thick piece of angle iron I positioned it and traced out the tab with a sharpie and marked the hole. Drilled the a-arm upper bolt hole first and re-fitted it to the frame and bolted it all the way down. Then I took a 90 degree pick and used it to scratch the exact location of the holes. I then removed the bracket to drill the remaining bumper bolt holes. I also bent the lower part of the bracket so it would meet the tube the a-arm tab is welded to in the front to give it a little more surface area.

View attachment 226412

This picture is after it was finally welded into place. I welded it pretty much everywhere I could, including down the "ear" to join the two pieces together.

View attachment 226413

At this point it was 1:30am, but its ready for the next adventure. If it breaks again, I think it will either shear the bolt (Hopefully) OR really break the frame. At that point Ill think of something else :D. I thought that it would never happen to me but thinking back It, I could of easily saved myself the headache and make the same bracket except bolting it together and skipped all the welding. I needed to reinforce it anyway for the long travel suspension I plan on doing this winter :)

View attachment 226414

Looks strong. Haven’t had this happen on our 2020, but I’m sure it will.
Have you considered selling your design/bolt on bracket?

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks strong. Haven’t had this happen on our 2020, but I’m sure it will.
Have you considered selling your design/bolt on bracket?

Definitely not looking to sell them. I wish someone would though. There definitely could be money made. Some work in CAD to make a drawing to be cut by lazer or plasma, then a couple of key bends with a press It would be much easier to weld on then it is to fabricate the entire thing at home. I only used a cut off wheel in my grinder and a flap disc to round everything off. Then hit it with the welder after everything was bolted into place.

D

DDDonkey

Looks good, I make some bolt in one like yours before I had an issue. Mine are made out of 1/8” plate and used the stock bolt, but I put a gusset in it. I thought about making and selling them but I don’t have a press yet or plasma table. They are really easy to make.

Reactions: Biteme
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Kilo427 fixed my pioneer over the past two weeks. I tore the driver side front upper A-arm off pretty good. LOL He has some pictures. Guess thats what I get for thinking it's as tough as my KRX :p😆

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was able to reuse the factory bolts however that is only temporary as I will be using a Polaris bolt and nut that @ToddACimer figured out will work on a Pioneer and won't loosen up like the factory bolt.

Polaris #7518472 Bolt
Polaris #7547313 Nut
These did not work in the long run. Broke a couple of them and broke the m10 grade 12.9 replacement. Switched to 12mm bolts grade 12.9 now and haven't had an issue yet.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!