P1000 Venting

D

DDDonkey

In the State of Az UTV's/ATV's are street legal, so I have mine registered and insured per the state regulation. I drive my P1000-5 at least 5 days a week to drop the kids off at school or run short trips so that I don't have to start up my diesel pickup. Well yesterday I got stopped by a very nice police office warning me about my none DOT approved tire. I am not frustrated with the cop as he was very nice and doing his job, but he verbally warned me, and said that if I was in an accident on the road way I could be at fault due to my tires. The reason I am frustrated is that UTV tires cost as much or more than tire tires! I was going to put on truck tires when the factory tires where shot and just get new rims for about $1000. So now I have 2 options get the truck tires and have 2 sets (rim and tire) or replace the tires I have with a DOT UTV tire for $550-600 and keep the factory rims. I just hate throwing away money, if I try to sell the bighorns on CL I may get $100 for them as the have over 700 miles and are half worn.

rant over

Reactions: BWAF and ohanacreek
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Just be happy they allow that. They will chase you down here for crossing the road.

Been stopped several times going hunting and to the farm.
I saved this for my personal use and had to pull it out 3 times now.
NC ATV Laws - G.S. 20-171.22 Last section is my savior.
The first time I was stopped, it took over an hour and 4 police cars to decide what I was showing them was, in fact, the law.

D

DDDonkey

You can get tires and rims for less than a 1000.

Thanks for the input, I looked again and can get rims for around $400, and tires for the same. I think after doing more research it will be around $900 with everything installed (I can't mount and balance myself). I am just frustrated that UTV tires cost so much.

I know if yo want to play you have to pay, I just hate getting ride of good tires that is all.

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My S. Dakota tag is on the way, there are literally 2 laws on the book in Alabama governing SXS/UTV and they are to keep them off the dunes on the gulf coast. You can't Title a SxS in Alabama which is the only reason you can't get a tag in Alabama, I have spoken with county sheriff about it and he says it should be considered the same as a dual sport or a motorcycle( and safer, his words) as long as it can reach 55mph and maintain it. No US Hwys/no 4lanes except to cross and I should have a helmet on considering its a out of state motorcycle tag but that IF its tagged they have to honor it. So it'll be good for TN and maybe Florida (they are unclear about reciprocity) as well when I am down there.

I don't understand why cops have such a problem with them in rural areas.
Downtown SURE thats pointless but in rural areas your just as likely to see a tractor going 5mph taking up most of both lanes.
I would really like to know.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I highly recommend the light truck tires. You will love them. They are a great improvement over the big horns. 56a034f4c47f895cf04322c8e692a6466a0994e28bad92a2457665682d60b898

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My S. Dakota tag is on the way, there are literally 2 laws on the book in Alabama governing SXS/UTV and they are to keep them off the dunes on the gulf coast. You can't Title a SxS in Alabama which is the only reason you can't get a tag in Alabama, I have spoken with county sheriff about it and he says it should be considered the same as a dual sport or a motorcycle( and safer, his words) as long as it can reach 55mph and maintain it. No US Hwys/no 4lanes except to cross and I should have a helmet on considering its a out of state motorcycle tag but that IF its tagged they have to honor it. So it'll be good for TN and maybe Florida (they are unclear about reciprocity) as well when I am down there.

I don't understand why cops have such a problem with them in rural areas.
Downtown SURE thats pointless but in rural areas your just as likely to see a tractor going 5mph taking up most of both lanes.
I would really like to know.

I have a South Dakota tag and live in Florida. We have had no issues, none, zero nada. Had a couple of the local sheriffs rubber neck as we passed them parked or had them turn around as they passed us going the other way, but once they say the plate they went on their merry way.

Reactions: BWAF and ohanacreek
D

DDDonkey

I highly recommend the light truck tires. You will love them. They are a great improvement over the big horns. View attachment 86189View attachment 86190

I have been reading your thread in depth, right now discount tire has the hanhook mud tire on sale ($50 rebate if you buy 4), and the the sti hd4 rim are around $104 shipped with lug nuts.

Like I said I am just amazed UTV tire cost more than truck tires.

Reactions: BWAF and Cuoutdoors
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well... when I buy truck tires, I'm buyin 12.50/35 X 20's... so UTV tires are a LOT less expensive! :)

I bought the tire/wheel combo for my Viking for about 850 from KJmortorsports on ebay. I kept the tires & put 'em on the 1K because they're 8 ply DOT radials. For 1000 bucks, you'll have a TON of tire/wheel choices.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
General Grabber ATX's in 27x8.5x14 Discount tire has them and they may last 50,000 miles.

Genvl3 ang xl
Tire3

Reactions: BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have been reading your thread in depth, right now discount tire has the hanhook mud tire on sale ($50 rebate if you buy 4), and the the sti hd4 rim are around $104 shipped with lug nuts.

Like I said I am just amazed UTV tire cost more than truck tires.
Utv tires are getting out of hand. No reason for them to be close to $200 or more for some. They just do because they can. That's the biggest reason I switched plus these tires ought to last 25-50,000 miles.....so basically forever

Reactions: ohanacreek and BWAF
D

DDDonkey

Thank you all for the advice, I am going to order some truck tires and rims. I will keep the stockers for a while as I have a trip to the dunes coming up (they are lighter weight) and them maybe try to sell them. Thank you again, people here are much nicer than the RV forum I am on. I don't post much there as they will eat you alive with the comments. Happy trials to all!

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You'll never look back love mine
Thank you all for the advice, I am going to order some truck tires and rims. I will keep the stockers for a while as I have a trip to the dunes coming up (they are lighter weight) and them maybe try to sell them. Thank you again, people here are much nicer than the RV forum I am on. I don't post much there as they will eat you alive with the comments. Happy trials to all!
Cb4a286399933b5ae14553a4968b2dd672512b3c0d502acc2e177f3ffe6611a65038a09a17be8ee38f45b57d7d03ddfa2b67e2ab21553bef77fd3aff829d8b1c

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome! And the weeds have been weeded from this site long ago.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm planning on buying rims and used truck tires. I will only use them for road use and install my current tires any time i load it to trail ride. I'm trying to find white steel "wagon wheel" rims for old school. I can't find them in the 4 lug. I'm tagged and legal in Ohio, but have the same tire issue.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm planning on buying rims and used truck tires. I will only use them for road use and install my current tires any time i load it to trail ride. I'm trying to find white steel "wagon wheel" rims for old school. I can't find them in the 4 lug. I'm tagged and legal in Ohio, but have the same tire issue.
When I was looking, I couldn't find a 14" steel wheel for these. I was going to have some custom made, but decided against it.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!