P1000 Venting

D

DDDonkey

Well I did it, and the wife agreed I need to upgrade, she even picked the rims. I was going to go the cheap route and get the HD4 in a 15" wheels that are rated for 1000lbs ($99), but she wanted the KMC XS128 Machete Wheel 15x7 5.0 + 2.0 that hold 1250lbs ($112.5 and wanted the black lug nuts to go with) so a win for me. I also ordered some Nexen Roadian MT in 235/75r15 from Amazon for $84 each and free shipping. In total I have $470 in rims and $326 ($10 discount) in tires all with free shipping for a total of $796 for the new set of rims and tires. I can get them mounted and balanced for $10 up the road so not too bad. I will sell my current rims and tires at the end of the year to help off set the cost, thanks all for letting me vent.

Now how to get a Power Command with auto tune past the wife?

Hot94Z28

Hot94Z28

Oct 22, 2017
Lexington Missouri
I just got my new rims and tires on, it’s a UTV tire but it’s DOT tire. So far I like them.
5bb71e1069f5b5ccb54a8ac7c801cc68
7daf0043103d13d6178b9d6710016e8a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLS

CLS

Aug 26, 2018
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the State of Az UTV's/ATV's are street legal, so I have mine registered and insured per the state regulation. I drive my P1000-5 at least 5 days a week to drop the kids off at school or run short trips so that I don't have to start up my diesel pickup. Well yesterday I got stopped by a very nice police office warning me about my none DOT approved tire. I am not frustrated with the cop as he was very nice and doing his job, but he verbally warned me, and said that if I was in an accident on the road way I could be at fault due to my tires. The reason I am frustrated is that UTV tires cost as much or more than tire tires! I was going to put on truck tires when the factory tires where shot and just get new rims for about $1000. So now I have 2 options get the truck tires and have 2 sets (rim and tire) or replace the tires I have with a DOT UTV tire for $550-600 and keep the factory rims. I just hate throwing away money, if I try to sell the bighorns on CL I may get $100 for them as the have over 700 miles and are half worn.

rant over
Which city gave you the warning...the only ones who even know or care about the tire rating are rookies who want to be a motors cop...mostly because they dont know how to write a felony report.

Reactions: BWAF
Reno58

Reno58

Oct 21, 2017
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just looked up my cost, $126 each. Mounted them on 15" STI HD5 bead lock rims.

Total wheels and tires were around $950.

D

DDDonkey

Which city gave you the warning...the only ones who even know or care about the tire rating are rookies who want to be a motors cop...mostly because they dont know how to write a felony report.

Goodyear, the officer was very nice, just doing his job and it was a verbal warning, but it was a waring. I do see him often when I drop off the kid at school.

On a good note my rims showed up today and the tires will be here tomorrow. I weighed one of my rear tire/rim combo (the factory one half worn) and it was 46LBS, my new set up will be 54lbs. That is 8 lbs plus per rear tire and I don't know the difference for the front yet. I am curious to see the performance loss, I will have to do a few timed runs to 60mph with both sets in the next few weeks.

T

TCM-551

Jan 23, 2018
Prescott
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Tusk Terrabites DOT.
There working well for me as an all around tire.
What size are you using?
Where did you purchase them?
What kind of mileage do you expect to get out of them?
Stock wheels or aftermarket wheels?

D

Dasmoeturhead

What size are you using?
Where did you purchase them?
What kind of mileage do you expect to get out of them?
Stock wheels or aftermarket wheels?

Stock Honda Black 12" steel wheels
Front 9" rear 11"
Rocky mountain atv
Mileage? I have no idea, but they have already lasted twice as much as the stockers did, and the wear is minimal to date.

I decided to run the stock size for a couple of reasons; first I didn't want to put any undo stress on the machines suspension (front components) due to the extra weight of larger heavier tires. 2nd, I figured it might help out the clutch a bit not having to deal with the weight. I also like the way it handles with the stock tire/wheel sizes.
I use my pk3 for work mostly around my property, and I do go into town about once a week for a dump run, its about a 11 mile round trip. I didn't buy this machine to go mudding or whatnot, he'll I don't even have a trailer to take it anywhere anyway. I use the machine as a workhorse, and need all the longevity I can squeeze out of her. I think I paid just over $400 .
So far my plan has worked. I haven't had any of the recalls, or improvements yet and everything is G2G.

advertisement
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just be happy they allow that. They will chase you down here for crossing the road.

Been stopped several times going hunting and to the farm.
I saved this for my personal use and had to pull it out 3 times now.
NC ATV Laws - G.S. 20-171.22 Last section is my savior.
The first time I was stopped, it took over an hour and 4 police cars to decide what I was showing them was, in fact, the law.

Thanks for that link... land of the free? Not so much...

FredD

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for that link... land of the free? Not so much...

FredD
Meh... Can we agree on "land of the MOST free"? In Louisiana, I've blown by state troopers at 66 MPH shooting radar in a 55 MPH zone highway with nothing more than a friendly wave of the hand.

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Meh... Can we agree on "land of the MOST free"? In Louisiana, I've blown by state troopers at 66 MPH shooting radar in a 55 MPH zone highway with nothing more than a friendly wave of the hand.
I don't want to get off topic on the discussion... but generally, I do not equate selective enforcement with freedom.

FredD

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’m not sure why anyone would have two sets of wheels & tires (street & off-road).

Sounds expensive, and a bit of a pain in the azz switchin back & forth..

Pick a tire that’s DOT approved and will do what you want it to do off pavement, & call it a day.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!