BOX1

P1000 Video - 2017 Pioneer 1000 Limited Edition - Tech Talk

J

JTW

My point is: Your glad you bought a 16 because the 17 has an upgraded clutch (or ECU?) and "mode memory". And thats something you wouldnt be interested in? I'd be suprised if the deluxe price goes up at all, if it does maybe $200?

The 16 and 17 Deluxe are basically the same. You dont want all the bells and whistles buy a "standard" you want some bells and whistles buy a "deluxe" You want all the bells and whistles buy an "LE".

I can see the "hill assis"t be used as a parking brake. In the sense that if I come to a stop and need to get out of the machine to pick something up or walk to the back of the machine to grab a beer, instead of putting it into park i'd keep it in gear and hit the button. How long does it hold? we dont know yet. I see it for uses like that because I am sick of putting the 16 in park then going back to drive and haveing to put it back into MT or sport, but its all a mute point now that it has mode memory!!

You do alot of riding going from park to reverse to drive etc..that mode memory alone makes me consider upgrading to a 17 especially when it comes to plowing snow, which I do in MT, drive to reverse and constantly haveing to push that damn MT button!! Very curious to see what the prices will be.
No.. that's not what I said or meant. I'd like to have the clutch update and memory mode, but I'm guessing that will be a programming option later on. And I use the tractor for snow.. but I could see how the memory mode would be handy. I'm glad I bought the 16 deluxe because the 17 doesn't have the features I was holding out for. I'm not interested in the LE, just the shocks.. maybe the storage tray?. And as I said, the other odds and ends it has.. aren't as good as aftermarket. While I agree it's just f*ck'n stupid they don't have an e-brake... I'll be adding a line lock to mine. Maybe the hill assist will be an electric e-brake.. but what happens if you turn the machine off? I waited for the 2017 p500 and two months later and the day before we were set to leave for our planned trip, it came in. I had 2k worth of parts in my garage waiting for it for months..that I didn't get to mount because of the delay AND I had no seat time before hand. I'm glad I bought the 16 1000-5 deluxe because I don't want to do that again when the Honda Takeover comes around. The "upgrades" aren't upgraded enough to be worth while to me. Again, the LE is of no interest to me as I want a true locking diff. The other features are meaningless to me with the direction I'll take my build.. it's not about money or I don't like it because I have this or that one.. I waited to buy until I had an idea of the 17's updates. It's purely the fact that I can take the money difference between the two and have a better machine suited for my needs than buying an LE with bells and whistles I won't use or that are subpar to what aftermarket has. Not to mention a new 4wd system that isn't yet proven. And the deluxe and LE both will likely be months behind on getting out if they're anything like the p500! I'm like you though, I'm curious to see how they price them.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just my $.02 but I would NEVER leave my rig on a hill in gear and hope some button holds it while I walk around getting a drink. Maybe I'm not trusting of technology but if my butt is out of the seat it's in park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Just my $.02 but I would NEVER leave my rig on a hill in gear and hope some button holds it while I walk around getting a drink. Maybe I'm not trusting of technology but if my butt is out of the seat it's in park.

Just chock the wheel with a kitten and you're good!

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think the new drive system will work great for most situations and is a nice option if someone wants to spend the extra money.

The hill assist IMO is just fluff, but who knows if I try it I may think it's great. My Dart is a street/strip car with out a trans brake so when I race it I foot brake. One foot on the brake pedal and one on the gas, so I don't see an issue with me taking off on a hill.

IMO the shocks will be better than the non adjustable for sure, but with only 3 position adjustments I'm guessing not much. It'll be interesting to see the price point on the over the counter. If I need shocks I'll save my pennies and try a double adjustable. Watching the video confirmed what I suspected from looking at my 16. They have around 10" of travel at the wheel? There is almost no extension left from static ride, maybe 1 1/2" extension and 8 1/2" compression? IMO it's fine for fast riding but for slow stuff I like to be able to keep the tires on the ground. I'm new to SXS's so maybe this is normal and I understand these machines are more geared for utility use than sport so I'm not knocking it. It's just the buggies I've been around have quiet a bit of travel on both sides of static ride height.

J

JTW

I think the new drive system will work great for most situations and is a nice option if someone wants to spend the extra money.

The hill assist IMO is just fluff, but who knows if I try it I may think it's great. My Dart is a street/strip car with out a trans brake so when I race it I foot brake. One foot on the brake pedal and one on the gas, so I don't see an issue with me taking off on a hill.

IMO the shocks will be better than the non adjustable for sure, but with only 3 position adjustments I'm guessing not much. It'll be interesting to see the price point on the over the counter. If I need shocks I'll save my pennies and try a double adjustable. Watching the video confirmed what I suspected from looking at my 16. They have around 10" of travel at the wheel? There is almost no extension left from static ride, maybe 1 1/2" extension and 8 1/2" compression? IMO it's fine for fast riding but for slow stuff I like to be able to keep the tires on the ground. I'm new to SXS's so maybe this is normal and I understand these machines are more geared for utility use than sport so I'm not knocking it. It's just the buggies I've been around have quiet a bit of travel on both sides of static ride height.
Interesting take...

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Anything been done to fix the heat issue or water problem? Or will that under seat storage double as an oven?
Yea Honda should have fixed the heat issue first, There transmissions are complicated, and are having clutch issues, why make them more complicated, until they have fixed the transmission? They tout, first automotive transmission in a S X S , Iv'e owned several 4 WD trucks and when in low range reverse is to, unlike the Honda 1000's. Yes I like my machine, but they have things that they should have worked on first. I haven't heard anything from Honda or the dealer about fixing the heat issue yet, have any of you?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

On the shocks, my self leveling rear shocks have never sagged when loading, I don't need that feature, I'm going to up grade to shocks with adjustable rebound, compression and spring pre load and I agree on the static ride height travel both ways, that's how dirt bikes are set up to.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
On the shocks, my self leveling rear shocks have never sagged when loading, I don't need that feature, I'm going to up grade to shocks with adjustable rebound, compression and spring pre load and I agree on the static ride height travel both ways, that's how dirt bikes are set up to.
Front and back shocks need replacing

Reactions: JTW
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Front and back shocks need replacing
I've only replaced the front with the Walker Evans. The rear load levelers haven't been an issue for me, and they seem to work well with the WE fronts. As I've said in other threads on this subject, I will probably end up replacing the rear load levelers with the WEs in the future. With 16 settings for adjustment I love them.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've only replaced the front with the Walker Evans. The rear load levelers haven't been an issue for me, and they seem to work well with the WE fronts. As I've said in other threads on this subject, I will probably end up replacing the rear load levelers with the WEs in the future. With 16 settings for adjustment I love them.

I'd sure like me to ride your machine

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd sure like me to ride your machine

You know it's nothing special. All stock except for the shocks as far as mechanical things. You also know that much of my riding isn't fast, but through a lot of fun, challenging and technical terrain. There's still no way I put mine through the hell you give yours... lol.

As for aftermarket shocks, I would think all three of the main competitors have stepped up and provided an excellent upgrade from stock. I guess we'll see!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You know it's nothing special. All stock except for the shocks as far as mechanical things. You also know that much of my riding isn't fast, but through a lot of fun, challenging and technical terrain. There's still no way I put mine through the hell you give yours... lol.

As for aftermarket shocks, I would think all three of the main competitors have stepped up and provided an excellent upgrade from stock. I guess we'll see!

I truly need front shocks! Wasn't bad at first but after you get comfortable with the machine they don't hold. Any shock would be upgraded be cool to be able to ride multiple ones just waiting for the last contender to show. You like a few others here ride hard and technical so I'm paying very close attention towards you all I'd like to get the right fit for us. Still not positive on rears I've just been happy and concerned our particular machine may not take to them.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I truly need front shocks! Wasn't bad at first but after you get comfortable with the machine they don't hold. Any shock would be upgraded be cool to be able to ride multiple ones just waiting for the last contender to show. You like a few others here ride hard and technical so I'm paying very close attention towards you all I'd like to get the right fit for us. Still not positive on rears I've just been happy and concerned our particular machine may not take to them.

It's been too damn cold here lately to go out just for a ride for no reason, but I'm itching to do it. I cranked up the shocks and did the bounce test in the garage. The thrushing sound is definitely less. We haven't had the snow we should because it's all down your way, but the cold just isn't worth it... lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's been too damn cold here lately to go out just for a ride for no reason, but I'm itching to do it. I cranked up the shocks and did the bounce test in the garage. The thrushing sound is definitely less. We haven't had the snow we should because it's all down your way, but the cold just isn't worth it... lol
agreed!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!