Wait, what? Really?

J

jyd

Jul 13, 2018
Baja
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While doing an oil change today in our little fishing village on the beach of the Sea of Cortez, I noticed something I didn't like in the engine room of my 2018 P 1000-5. Very near the starter motor there is a rubberized shield or cover that
Wait what
seems to be trying to protect an electrical connection but was open on the big end, which faces up, ready to trap water and funnel it down into the connection itself. Although we operate in a desert and mountains, we drive through a lot of water from fresh water springs and along beaches and across shallow salt water estuaries, so our Pioneer gets its feet wet quite a bit. It just looks like one of Honda's few bad ideas.

Can anyone tell me what it is trying, and failing, to protect? Should I tie it off to close it, or put a drain hole in it? Or just forget it? See white arrow in picture, taken from the right side, looking at the top of the engine.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
While doing an oil change today in our little fishing village on the beach of the Sea of Cortez, I noticed something I didn't like in the engine room of my 2018 P 1000-5. Very near the starter motor there is a rubberized shield or cover that View attachment 191837seems to be trying to protect an electrical connection but was open on the big end, which faces up, ready to trap water and funnel it down into the connection itself. Although we operate in a desert and mountains, we drive through a lot of water from fresh water springs and along beaches and across shallow salt water estuaries, so our Pioneer gets its feet wet quite a bit. It just looks like one of Honda's few bad ideas.

Can anyone tell me what it is trying, and failing, to protect? Should I tie it off to close it, or put a drain hole in it? Or just forget it? See white arrow in picture, taken from the right side, looking at the top of the engine.
“A little fishing village on the Sea of Cortez” Is all I heard. How cool of a place to be riding a Pioneer is that...😎👍

Reactions: Isaiah
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My starter hung up would not stop turning. Had to disconnect battery to stop it. After seeing this post. I cleaned that plug really good and it fixed problem..
Wow!!! What a helpful two posts. Think I’ll pay a visit to those plugs on my Pioneer’s.....🤔

H

HondaTech

My starter hung up would not stop turning. Had to disconnect battery to stop it. After seeing this post. I cleaned that plug really good and it fixed problem..

Well that's not in anyway possible.

The plug in question that @jyd Is referring to is for the shift motor. Cleaning that plug would not stop the stater motor from operating. Also most generally if a starter motor is constantly engaging a stuck solenoid is most likely the culprit.

I've never had any issue with this cover being open to the elements. The plug itself is a weatherpack connector so water will most likely not enter it under normal conditions.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!