P500 Walker Evans Shocks on the P500...initial thoughts

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Just got back from my first brief ride with the new shocks. Need to start off by giving a HUGE THANK YOU to Jay for all of his testing, research, and guidance.

When I bought my P500 there were three things that made it the best choice for me.
1) SIZE. I go through the woods quite often where there are no trails. The P500 fits in between trees where other larger buggies won't go.
2) HONDA RELIABILITY. Nuff said.
3) PRICE. As far as UTV's go, the P500 is a bargain and maintenance costs are minimal because the damn thing is tougher than an anvil and nothing ever breaks.

I bought one of the first P500's that my local dealer got and have never regretted my purchase. But...after a few miles of riding locally and couple of trips to Hattfield-McCoy in West Virginia, it was obvious that Honda did cut a few corners to keep the price down. The one big fly in the ointment was the shock absorbers. I knew before I bought my buggy that it was not gonna ride like a new Cadillac. It has a short, narrow wheel base and a very limited amount of suspension travel. But even with all of those things factored in, I still thought that it rode rougher than a hay wagon at elevated speeds and that Honda really dropped the ball with those abominations that they say are shock absorbers. But that one main shortcoming did not outweigh all the other great things that I liked about my little buggy.
So, when Walker Evans Racing decided to make shocks for the P500 I was very excited. They are expensive but I plan on keeping my buggy for a long time so I took the plunge. Today I got them installed and dialed in. I took a brief ride up in the wooded hills behind my house to switch memory cards in my game cameras. Then I rode wide open through a rough and bumpy hayfield. Then for the first time I intentionally jumped the buggy over a big hump in my neighbors yard at about 30 mph and managed to get all four wheels off the ground. The landing was cushy but my Boston Terrier/navigator/shed antler hunter "Lucille The Wonder Dog" did not care much for the Evel Knievel like stunt driving.
Here are my initial thoughts on the WE shock upgrade...they are a big improvement at any speed and the faster you go the more improvement you will notice. The ride is less jarring, more controlled, and plusher than the stock setup. Do the new shocks magically transform the P500 into a machine that rides as plush as a pure sport buggy with two feet of suspension travel ? No, but I did not expect that to be the case. It is a huge improvement. But the nature of the P500's design does have limitations that would be hard to overcome without major modifications. Are they worth the money ? For me...yes. It does address and improve on the one big complaint that I had about the P500. I hope to share more about the performance of the WE shocks after I get more seat time with them. But for now, I am happy with my purchase.

Last edited:
U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
Good to hear. What Spring rate did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Miss_Oak
Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Have a camp site reserved for Friday the 13th and Saturday the 14th at the Devil Anse ATV Resort in West Virginia. That will be a good place to get a full evaluation of the new shocks.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Have a camp site reserved for Friday the 13th and Saturday the 14th at the Devil Anse ATV Resort in West Virginia. That will be a good place to get a full evaluation of the new shocks.
How'd the machine handle and ride for you at H/M?

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
How'd the machine handle and ride for you at H/M?
Had a change in plans...went to Brimstone in Tennessee that weekend. The shocks did great down there but the narrow stance of the P500 made some of those trails a bit sketchy. Many of the trails were deeply rutted out by much wider machines. But we had fun. The WE shocks have been the single biggest improvement I have made to my P500. No regrets on that particular purchase.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Had a change in plans...went to Brimstone in Tennessee that weekend. The shocks did great down there but the narrow stance of the P500 made some of those trails a bit sketchy. Many of the trails were deeply rutted out by much wider machines. But we had fun. The WE shocks have been the single biggest improvement I have made to my P500. No regrets on that particular purchase.

Did you do all four or just the fronts? Any discount at all? I've got the itch for these bad now, every time it's brought up in a thread it itches worse. If they'd do 10% off I would consider all four, no discount and it'll be just the fronts.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

I've got the itch for these bad now, every time it's brought up in a thread it itches worse.

I suggest you rub this all over your body and see if that cures it !!!!

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Did you do all four or just the fronts? Any discount at all? I've got the itch for these bad now, every time it's brought up in a thread it itches worse. If they'd do 10% off I would consider all four, no discount and it'll be just the fronts.
I was unaware of a discount and paid full price for mine but they did throw in free shipping. I did get all four. It is a lot of money. But I have no buyers remorse. They really did make a world of difference.

Reactions: chrisC and trigger
Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Probably would not have bought the shocks if I did not plan on keeping my P500 for a long time. But I don’t foresee ever getting rid of my little buggy so I figured it was money well spent. Might get a pure sport buggy in a few years but even then I will hold on to my P500. It’s just too damn handy for what I do. Best damn white tailed deer retrieval machine there ever was. Deer usually don’t lay down and die right in the middle of the trail. And if you gotta snake into some tight spots to retrieve a deer, the P500 is the machine to have.

Reactions: rocmar and trigger
Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I'll never get rid of mine either and that's why I'll be putting these on. Did it make a huge difference in the rear?
Hard for me to say “huge” as I switched out all four at the same time. In hindsight, perhaps it would have been best to try the fronts only and then if need be get the rear shocks later. I do feel the rear shocks made a considerable improvement but certainly not as much as the front.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'll never get rid of mine either and that's why I'll be putting these on. Did it make a huge difference in the rear?
For the $
...the difference ain't there..
for me...at this time

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm working on a set for the front right now. Just left a message on their profile page but it says the last activity they showed was 5 weeks ago. o_O
Got the warden's blessing tonight to get them, had to scare her with horror stories and sh**, but it worked. :oops::D

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
You referencing the backs? Or you think the difference isn't worth the $ for the front to?

Thanks,
Both..I'm gonna swap my back...for
front...& front for back... & play
with adjustments...see wat I get...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Lol, gave me a f#ckin' rash!
Hey..so them shocks got same travel...
as p5 stock...
just the compressed air..makes it more
stiff...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!