P1000 What’s the verdict

C

Chabrak

Nov 11, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
ok I’ve been reading a lot lately about all the recalls and notices that I’ve been getting in the mail from Honda. And I’m not gonna lie, it’s got me a little discouraged about my p1000. So what I’m wondering is what is the general consensus on these machines? Good purchase or I bought to soon?
I have about 1800 miles on my 2016 and it’s been good. I have a few complaints about stuff I think Honda should have refined but overall I like the machine. Just wondering what others thoughts are.
Thanks

Reactions: sharp
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ok I’ve been reading a lot lately about all the recalls and notices that I’ve been getting in the mail from Honda. And I’m not gonna lie, it’s got me a little discouraged about my p1000. So what I’m wondering is what is the general consensus on these machines? Good purchase or I bought to soon?
I have about 1800 miles on my 2016 and it’s been good. I have a few complaints about stuff I think Honda should have refined but overall I like the machine. Just wondering what others thoughts are.
Thanks

In about 3 hours opinions could change one way or the other depending on what the long awaited Talon really turns out to be.

C

Chabrak

Nov 11, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In about 3 hours opinions could change one way or the other depending on what the long awaited Talon really turns out to be.

The people will be wondering if they bought those to soon too. Lol

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks
You bought a first year model. Updates and campaigns are to be expected. Be happy Honda is standing by their machines and issuing campaigns and safety recalls. Could be worse, could be footing the bill for those repairs yourself.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love my 2016 and I think it's awesome that Honda has stood behind the Pioneer and made the improvements we have asked for. The air intake and under seat cover were good. The clutch updtae was awesome and I'm glad they fixed the muffler shield. I don't know why people complain about free or very cheap changes that make the machine a lot better.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks
Everything really has been smoothed out on the machine. I believe it’s dependable like it should’ve been on release, there’s no need to run out and buy new. Just settle in with the service bulletins and ride

C

Chabrak

Nov 11, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I love my 2016 and I think it's awesome that Honda has stood behind the Pioneer and made the improvements we have asked for. The air intake and under seat cover were good. The clutch updtae was awesome and I'm glad they fixed the muffler shield. I don't know why people complain about free or very cheap changes that make the machine a lot better.
Has Honda issued anything for the air intake?

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has Honda issued anything for the air intake?
There is a kit you can buy from the dealer. If that's what you are asking. It changer the air intake from behind the grill to under the hood. It's supposed to help from splash from going through water. I have a 16 and made the change. They made the change on the 18's from the factory.. there is a thread on this, and shows the upgrade.

advertisement
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Pioneer is looking better and better now :)

I can appreciate that viewpoint. Had I bought a 1000-5 I'd probably stick with it as well. If the cost isn't crazy though, I see a Talon 1000R in my future. I will keep the P500 for chore/utility duty and restricted width trails and then have the 1000R for most trail riding duty.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a 16. I did the updates and loved it. Now I have an 18' LE and love it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chabrak
C

Chabrak

Nov 11, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a 16. I did the updates and loved it. Now I have an 18' LE and love it!

The LE looks awesome. Way to go. I wish the air intake was a service upgrade like the comfort kit though

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The LE looks awesome. Way to go. I wish the air intake was a service upgrade like the comfort kit though
There are several cheap DIY options or the new Honda part is like $40 I think. On my 16' I put on a PVC elbow and coupling for like $7

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks
Was just out driving my 11 year old Polaris 700 Ranger tonight that’s got space shuttle miles on it with its original belt and brakes, has never broke down once. I wasn’t on my Pioneer 1000 because it’s on the trailer, I’ve got to take it to the dealer tomorrow to have the clutch update, air intake update, cabin comfort update, muffler shield. They had to be coerced into most of that. And that doesn’t speak to the rattling doors and bed or the other modifications I’ve had to do that should have been done in the factory. Honda is catching up in the sxs line. My P5 is the premier wheeler.

Last edited:
C

Chabrak

Nov 11, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Was just out driving my 11 year old Polaris 700 Ranger tonight that’s got space shuttle miles on it with its original belt and brakes, has never broke down once. I wasn’t on my Pioneer 1000 because it’s on the trailer, I’ve got to take it to the dealer tomorrow to have the clutch update, air intake update, cabin comfort update, muffler shield. They had to be coerced into most of that. And that doesn’t speak to the rattling doors and bed or the other modifications I’ve had to do that should have been done in the factory. Honda is catching up in the sxs line. My P5 is the premier wheeler.

Yeah the rattling doors and bed drive me crazy. But Polaris has a fair share of those too. My folks 900 trail has been in for recalls just as much or more than my p1000. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the air intake upgrade to be free. For only 40 bucks Honda could throw us a bone.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah the rattling doors and bed drive me crazy. But Polaris has a fair share of those too. My folks 900 trail has been in for recalls just as much or more than my p1000. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the air intake upgrade to be free. For only 40 bucks Honda could throw us a bone.
Well, you said you were discouraged about your Pioneer. That’s for good reason. But hopefully they iron out all these problems, because they are great machines. My Polaris has never been recalled, never broke down and it’s old. I can only speak for mine.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!