BOX1

BRed What are the causes of engine smoke and oil consumption?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It looks like you got the problem solved. I can't tell you how many times something new from name brand or off brand can be good and/or bad. I put a camshaft, new lifters, and rockers on an 08 jeep Cherokee on the right hand side on Monday. Got it back together and it was clicking like crazy. Most forward lifter on the passenger side was making the noise. Shoved the old rocker and lifter back in and it's quiet as can be now. A few months ago I did the top end on my 300ex. Hot cams camshaft, wiseco higher compression piston, with wiseco gaskets, and oe timing chain and guides. Had the head checked, replaced seals. seated valves, and jug honed. After firing it up you could watch oil leak from the new head gasket. Ran like a champ but would slightly leak oil. I bought a tusk complete gasket set when I bought the machine just so I always had gaskets if needed. I didn't want to wait for shipping so I threw the tusk head gasket in and it's been perfect ever since. Sometimes things just turn out sideways.

Reactions: fmjnax and Mudwing
ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well I will keep following. I my opinion valves with poor seating don’t burn oil, rings and valve seals will.
seems like you have good compression so a new head with the proper clearances on the valve guilds should fix it.
Good luck

Reactions: fmjnax
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have had more than one cylinder head in my day have a crack that couldn't be seen with the naked eye.

Hopefully the new head solves your problem, but make sure you know the correct procedure for valve adjustment.

Reactions: fmjnax
F

fmjnax

Jan 9, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
Looks like the new head assembly solved the problem. Had a little bit of smoke for a half hour or so that worried me, but must have just been burn-off and maybe the new rings still seating themselves. Seems to be smoke free now and everything looks good *knock on wood*

Thanks everyone for the great input on this. I learned A LOT!!!

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Looks like the new head assembly solved the problem. Had a little bit of smoke for a half hour or so that worried me, but must have just been burn-off and maybe the new rings still seating themselves. Seems to be smoke free now and everything looks good *knock on wood*

Thanks everyone for the great input on this. I learned A LOT!!!
Quite the journey you took. I’m glad you finally got it. I really appreciate you posting. Thanks. 😎

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!