Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Tell me what you think of this ...

The video angle is terrible...
This is a pic of the actual rock as level as i can make it...
IMG 3065

Yes, the little tree is growing to the right in the photo...its level.

Comments?

I'll elaborate tomorrow...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, Could use a low gear. But other then that, seems normal from what I have experienced on my P4.
Now, you do have some good traction on those rocks. Did you try to see if you could spin them?
In 4x4 I would expect it hard to spin all 4, but in 2 you should be able too no problem.
I'll wait for you to explain your purpose.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It was in 4x4 the whole time. The second attempt on the left hill was diff locked. The point of the vid is does it really need a low? Lower gearing would have only spun the tires more. This was a test...to see if am going to keep this thing. Like i said, the vid simply doesn't do the steepness justice. I will talk about it more later. Gotta go to bed...

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I did a test almost to the exact of yours but honestly think the rock face I went up was a little steeper. I was very happy with the results and did not think a lower gear was necessary I also climbed some hills that were very similar in steepness and crawled up them with ease. For now my pioneer is performing fine with every thing I have tried. And if it's so steep I can't up it then I probably shouldn't have been trying it in the first place.

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
I think everyone has done this sort of test and I am no exception. So far I have been happy with everything mine has.done.You can really tell when you go up left side its steep.One thing seems I noticed in all videos I have seen if it won't go up what your climbing from a dead stop just give it a small bump then it will take off.Don't know if this means need lower gear or more power or torque converter needs a little giddy up and go first.My question is on left.side climb did you have the pedal mashed to the.floor at anytime.

F

farmer700

Dec 7, 2013
Landscape always looks so flat on photos and film. But I'm sure it would be hard to climb on foot.

It looks like you did not give it full throttle. If you would not of let off I bet it would of spun. You have to break traction to spin. Keeping traction and not spinning will make a better climber. Once you spin, its over, traction lost.

A

Amccoy

Dec 15, 2013
I think different tires (better suited for slick rock) would serve better in this particular situation. Are those stock tires on there?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wow...getting some interesting responses to this...

1st, i want to reiterate how badly these images and video represent this climb. These were steep, and at one point on the left climb, you can see the front tires come up for a bit. The bottom is really a near vertical step that's hard to see. The small pine in the pic actually grows away from the rocks at a pretty good angle, so my pic may actually be canted slightly clockwise from level.

Just for reference, i am a big pile at 270+lbs and probably 30 LBS of gear. This is about 4800-5000 feet elevation, and the machine has 377 miles on it, running 87 octane.
nagromr1 said:
My question is on left.side climb did you have the pedal mashed to the.floor at anytime.
Yes, it took full throttle to get going. To be honest, i am actually surprised it pulled itself up, as i'll discuss shortly...

OK...so why do this vid?

We know what rep this drive-train has in certain circles that are covered in mud. Low power and tall gearing are not a hot combo for big tires and mud. Yet there is the odd post that complains that this machine is simply not suited to extreme terrain even on stock tires.

I ignored these comments when buying the Pioneer, giving Honda credit for knowing what they are doing. About 2 weeks ago, i wondered if i had made a mistake by doing so. While playing around in a wash and climbing some very steep banks, i got into a situation where all 4 tires dug in and simply refused to turn. I was quite livid at the time, and really ready to trade it that day...but i calmed down enough and tried to convince myself that this was not a big deal, since when i actually had tried to climb the banks ( rather than screwing around on them ), the machine never actually failed to climb them.

Still, this gnawed at me. One of my personality faults is that once i am disappointed with something, i tend to become more and more bitter toward it, and its best to just remove it before i have a chance to get pissed and break it. In short, things that disappoint me don't stick around long, and over the next few trail rides, this was building. And for my type of personality, i can not have a good time with this approach. All i feel is anger when i look at it. I really, REALLY wish i wasn't this way...

So for the last few rides, i was intentional avoiding any area where i might be tempted to test the thing...and the disappointment it would bring. Riding on egg-shells, you might say...
At some point i found myself thinking of Ranger 570's...or maybe Prowlers...machines i don't really want, as trade bait during the ride...and i realized right then and there that i had to make a decision on this thing and clear my mind, one way or another. The bitterness was building, so Sunday i headed straight for a place i knew would put it to the test: Some Moab-esque rock domes nearby. At the end of the day i was going to be resolved to trade it or keep it.

The video above is a result of that "testing". I really didn't expect it to climb these from a dead stop at all, but it surprised me. Especially when it spun all 4 in diff lock. From this, it appears i have completely underestimated the load placed on the drive-train in my wash climbing incident and the ensuing 4 holes. I would have thought this was much more load...yet it pulled this.

Here are my thoughts on what happened...

The 1st climb was relatively easy, although still quite steep. This was with one person...so your next question might be: Would it do these hills with...

a) 2 people? The right one, definitely ( assuming were not talking about 2 sumo wrestlers ). The left...i dunno. Its really hard to judge a torque converter's ability until you really load it. Lets say it didn't climb or spin the tires with 2 people. Now lets say we somehow added a low range to the pion: What would it do? Sit and spin the tires...and NOT climb the hill.

b) 3/4 people? The right one again...i think it would probably pull 4 average sized people up it. The left...maybe not, but even if it had a low range...we can see from my vid that it would be pointless since all it would do is spin tires. And honestly, where the back passengers sit in the Pioneer...you've not going to climb the left hill without flipping. Same for any significant cargo. too much rear weight.

OK, you're disappointed you might not be able to take 4 people up this, so you trade for a Ranger 570...that holds only 2 people. Or a Ranger crew that bottoms on the break-over, and will only sit and spin the tires anyway...and NOT climb the hill. Or a Teryx 4, and not climb the...well, see a theme here? Ok...you could maybe get a 900 or 1000 RZR to spin them fast enough to rocket up this...but is that what a Pioneer is really meant to replace? And honestly...most people would never have the sack to even attempt these hills anyway.

Keep in mind that all the scenarios i mentioned above are with NO momentum, from a standing start. When rolling....i think it would pull any reasonable load of people/cargo up either with ease.

In short, i think that for most of us, lower gearing would be pointless, since it would result only on wheel-spin, and do nothing to actually help climb the hill. I actually find the Pioneers ability to crawl through rock gardens outstanding, so i don't miss the low range there either.

In fact, i think the lack of low range may be as much about aesthetics as any real need. Case in point; A Pioneer does what mine did on the left, spins tires slowly, and "looks" like it's weak. Now, a Ranger pulls up in low range and does this manly psych job by revving up and proving it can turn those tires in any situation...and sits there spinning wildly and hopping, and doesn't climb the hill any better than my Pioneer...

In fact, if there's a wild-card here, its the Pioneers ability to put power to the ground. Its almost erie in snow...and i am not at all sure that any other SxS would actually be able to climb that left hill at all with pure traction. I spent an hour on youtube looking for just such a thing. I thought i found one Rhino...then i realized there was a rope on the front bumper with people pulling to keep it from flipping.

The exceptions to the don't-really-need-it low range thing: Bigger tired guys could use it. I still maintain that i would never put bigger tires on this machine...as it does seem maxed out where it is. But...several have done it with no complaints.
The other is very high altitudes..though again, i wouldn't say never until i had tried it...and we do have a few people that have said they work fine at 12000 feet.

It's a little funny that some of you seem to be...sorta making some excuses now that i am actually very satisfied with what i saw this day. I think it has all it needs for my use...and if a Power commander and a Uni give it a bit more ommph, even better.

After all this...i went out and had the first truly enjoyable ride i've had in 2 weeks. The sky was blue, and exploring called my to the horizion, and i feel as though i did make the right choice after all.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DG.
Wow. That's a long post there.
Like most people. You got to get yourself past the break in period and you will start to see what this thing can do.
I was in the same boat my first ride. But now I'd take it up any hill you can find me. It has amazed me how it will walk up a hill I was scared to do on my Rincon.
I do agree with everything you said. Power from low end will only break traction. And when that happens what's the point in having it if you can't put it to work pushing your ride along.
Thanks.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
I agree. I've had a Polaris RzR that had more power and a low gear, but once it broke traction it was all over! Another very important factor that made my decision for the Pioneer is all the power in the world means nothing if you're walking back to your trailer or being towed back. This happened to me on more than a few occasions with the Rzr ( clutch assembly and belt issues). Yes, Honda should have added a few more ponies to the motor, but the lack of a low end gear doesn't appear to be a issue for the majority of Pioneer owners.

R

renedarling

Jan 21, 2014
Don't have a clue if this methods necessity more level rigging or more power or torque converter needs somewhat wild up and go first.my inquiry is on left.side climb did you have the pedal pounded to the

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
DG rider how tall are you ... im 6'3 and I just want to make sure I fit in this pioneer ... it kinda looked like your knees where almost in the dash?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
HondaTim said:
DG rider how tall are you ... im 6'3 and I just want to make sure I fit in this pioneer ... it kinda looked like your knees where almost in the dash?
I am about 6'1" or so. If i slouch, my knees will touch the dash. I recommend you try one on for size before laying out cash.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
renedarling said:
Don't have a clue if this methods necessity more level rigging or more power or torque converter needs somewhat wild up and go first.my inquiry is on left.side climb did you have the pedal pounded to the
Im not sure what you said...but if your asking if i had the throttle wide open, then yes, i did.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Well ... under the seat does it look like there is a bracket that maybe it could slide back a couple inches or so ... dont want any other sxs unless its a honda.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
HondaTim said:
Well ... under the seat does it look like there is a bracket that maybe it could slide back a couple inches or so ... dont want any other sxs unless its a honda.
The seat is fixed.

B

bwaltom

Feb 19, 2014
Utah
I went out on a ride today at the knolls between Tooele, UT & Wendover, NV. I had a great day. There are mountains (steep Hills), rocks, flats, & dunes to play around. I went with a friend who owns a rzr 900 who wanted to come along for the ride & test it out, and another friend who brought his can-am Maverick 1000. My pioneer 4 had 15 miles on it to start the day, & 42 miles at the end. Both friends drove it & were very impressed. They both said they wouldn't mind owning a pioneer. It did 99% of everything we tried one way or another. I am very happy with my purchase.

B

bwaltom

Feb 19, 2014
Utah
DG Rider said:
HondaTim said:
I am about 6'1" or so. If i slouch, my knees will touch the dash. I recommend you try one on for size before laying out cash.

One of the friends I went out with today is 6' 6" & about 330 lbs. When he drove my pioneer he said it was comfortable & really liked it.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
bwaltom said:
I went out on a ride today at the knolls between Tooele, UT & Wendover, NV. I had a great day. There are mountains (steep Hills), rocks, flats, & dunes to play around. I went with a friend who owns a rzr 900 who wanted to come along for the ride & test it out, and another friend who brought his can-am Maverick 1000. My pioneer 4 had 15 miles on it to start the day, & 42 miles at the end. Both friends drove it & were very impressed. They both said they wouldn't mind owning a pioneer. It did 99% of everything we tried one way or another. I am very happy with my purchase.

The Knolls is a GREAT place to ride! I too have ridden my Pioneer at the Knolls and found it very capable in the various and challenging terrains. While it doesn't have the power of my former RZR, it makes up for in low end torque, versatility and reliability. you picked a perfect day to ride (weather was awesome today for riding, 60 plus degrees). I hope to see you on the trails.

duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
This video reinforces the idea that I made the right choice for purchasing the Honda Pioneer 700. Though I don't have access to those types of rock outcrops it in no way diminishes my decision. I do have some considerably steep banks and the Pioneer climbs them with ease. The Pioneer is not perfect in certain types of snow but we don't get those snows that often. It handles the chore of plowing snow with considerable ease. It's not designed for top speeds but is faster than the golf cart machine I was considering. It's bigger, rides smoother and seat comfort is better than the 570 I test drove and with less vibration. With Hondas reputation for quality and reliability Im quite confident that the Pioneer will continue to provide years of service and pleasure.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!