P500 What roof/windshield/rear window do you run, and why?

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Pretty simple. I see a ton of people with the Honda Poly roof and wonder why it's so prevalent. So why did you choose what you did?

Personally, I'm considering the EMP poly roof, SATV flip up hard coated windshield, and EMP hard coated rear window. I like the looks of the EMP roof compared to the Honda. It also appears to have gutters along the edges to (hopefully) divert water. I also like the versatility the SATV windshield appears to offer. I'm hoping they will all jive together nicely.

Anyone see any holes in my current plan?

Reactions: J80
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
If you plan on an enclosed trailer, the Honda roof does add a few inches. Just get a hard-coat windshield feature whichever you get. Got all three Honda pieces, works well.

Last edited:
Bingy

Bingy

Oct 7, 2018
Salem, Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm interested more in the roof your looking at buying. I need to replace mine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: J80 and Mudder
Alaskamatt

Alaskamatt

Dec 29, 2019
East Tawas, Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Emp roof here, honda hardcoat windshield, tusk rear window. I'm happy with all so far, a little over a year on. Leave the window on year round and zero problems, still like new. 600 miles so far. The honda roof is made of thicker plastic and is nice, but I prefer the emp. Lower profile and tough enough so far, rubbed it along quite a few trees so far and no damage. Cant go wrong with either. The emp roof fits tight to the bars width wise so no room to slip accent panels like diamond plate under like some on here have, for future mods. Don't go cheap on the windshield, get the hard coat and dont wipe it clean when dirty. Use water first and it will stay in good shape. Good luck on your purchases, they'll never end!
20201222 124816
20201222 124620

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I’m running a moose hard coat front window, EMP poly top and tusk rear panel. All 3 have been on there for a while and no complaints. The front window is showing no scratches and I have a wiper installed too. Main reason I picked the moose front was that it was the cheapest hard coat I could find. Reason for the tusk rear panel was also cost. No regrets on any of theses purchases. One thing I would strongly recommend is that you pick a hard coat front window.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
There is a company that makes full glass windows that are on the forum. SXS Windshields or something like that is their website. When I replace my current (terrible) plastic windshield, I think I'm going to buy one through them. Their windshield allows you to still open the hood and has a bottom vent for air during summer.

Reactions: J80 and DaddyDubbs
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I’m running the aluminum EMP roof, and yes Austin it does have rain gutters, SXS glass windshield with wipers and washer system that replaced a Moose windshield that got scratched so bad and a homemade rear panel due to speaker placement.

Reactions: J80 and trigger
TJ_from_NEPA

TJ_from_NEPA

Apr 5, 2017
Ownership

1. 500
I’m running a moose hard coat front window, EMP poly top and tusk rear panel. All 3 have been on there for a while and no complaints. The front window is showing no scratches and I have a wiper installed too. Main reason I picked the moose front was that it was the cheapest hard coat I could find. Reason for the tusk rear panel was also cost. No regrets on any of theses purchases. One thing I would strongly recommend is that you pick a hard coat front window.
Emp roof here, honda hardcoat windshield, tusk rear window. I'm happy with all so far, a little over a year on. Leave the window on year round and zero problems, still like new. 600 miles so far. The honda roof is made of thicker plastic and is nice, but I prefer the emp. Lower profile and tough enough so far, rubbed it along quite a few trees so far and no damage. Cant go wrong with either. The emp roof fits tight to the bars width wise so no room to slip accent panels like diamond plate under like some on here have, for future mods. Don't go cheap on the windshield, get the hard coat and dont wipe it clean when dirty. Use water first and it will stay in good shape. Good luck on your purchases, they'll never end!

Hey guys, can either of you please provide a photo of the inside where the Tusk back panel meets the EMP poly roof? I am wondering if you have to make adjustments for both to fit since they are different manufacturers. I also have the EMP poly roof and, like you, might get the Tusk over a Polycarbonate back panel. Thanks much!

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Hey guys, can either of you please provide a photo of the inside where the Tusk back panel meets the EMP poly roof? I am wondering if you have to make adjustments for both to fit since they are different manufacturers. I also have the EMP poly roof and, like you, might get the Tusk over a Polycarbonate back panel. Thanks much!
I can’t take a picture right now but no modifications are needed.

Alaskamatt

Alaskamatt

Dec 29, 2019
East Tawas, Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
The way I attached my tusk rear panel under the emp plastic roof needed zero modifications. The roof overhangs the panel about four inches the way I have it. I added the webbing outside the panel to help support it when traveling on the freeway. Never remove anything when transporting with no issues.
20210124 110110
20210124 110205

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Does the OEM Honda windshield allow you to get under the hood without removal?

TJ_from_NEPA

TJ_from_NEPA

Apr 5, 2017
Ownership

1. 500
The way I attached my tusk rear panel under the emp plastic roof needed zero modifications. The roof overhangs the panel about four inches the way I have it. I added the webbing outside the panel to help support it when traveling on the freeway. Never remove anything when transporting with no issues.
Thanks for the photos! And I like the netting idea. Might do the same actually.

Reactions: J80 and Alaskamatt
TJ_from_NEPA

TJ_from_NEPA

Apr 5, 2017
Ownership

1. 500
The EMP does flip up to allow access to the hood, but I have no idea about the Honda. Here's the EMP windshield in action from their YouTube channel.

Reactions: J80 and DaddyDubbs
Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
I have the Full Poly Tip Out Windscreen from Honda. You have to open it to get the hood off, you can see it open in the pic.
The Honda roof as well. I think I'm going to order the Tusk rear fabric window. Was driving down dirt road with slushy wet dirt and snow and a fine mist of dirt comes in and coats rear view mirror and inside of windsheild.

IMG 3713

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have the Full Poly Tip Out Windscreen from Honda. You have to open it to get the hood off, you can see it open in the pic.
The Honda roof as well. I think I'm going to order the Tusk rear fabric window. Was driving down dirt road with slushy wet dirt and snow and a fine mist of dirt comes in and coats rear view mirror and inside of windsheild.

View attachment 251246
OK thanks, I guess that is easy to do and no big deal?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!