P500 Wheel spacer Rob horsepower?

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I have a p500 I just put 1.5 ATV spacers and I think I notice a decrease in Horsepower while trying to plow through Sugar Sand am I imagining this or do wheel spacers Rob horsepower?

SWB

SWB

Apr 22, 2019
South Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Anytime you add weight to rotating mass it robs horsepower. But, don't know if you would notice that/ What is total weight?

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
probably but your talking about adding maybe .5-.75 lbs to a set of 120-160lb tires.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Send some of that stuff you been smoking . ;)

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I have a p500 I just put 1.5 ATV spacers and I think I notice a decrease in Horsepower while trying to plow through Sugar Sand am I imagining this or do wheel spacers Rob horsepower?

I have a P5 with 26 inch tires and 2 inch wheel spacers. I'm a mechanical engineer, retired. To answer your question, I doubt you could notice any HP loss with 1.5 inch wheel spacers. They add a slight amount to the rotating mass of the wheel which would insignificantly reduce your acceleration, not from loss of HP, rather you are accelerating a wheel assembly with a slightly higher moment of inertia. Larger tires have much more impact than wheel spacers on wheel moment of inertia. You can get a feel for moment of inertia with the following example: imagine you pick up a 1/2 inch diameter piece of pipe that is a foot long and twirl it like a baton. Not much of a problem. Now make the pipe 8 feet long and you would really struggle to get it moving. Moment of inertia has to do with the amount of mass and how far from the center of rotation it is placed. Your wheel spacers are close to the axle with minimal impact on the moment of inertial. Larger tires add mass further away from the axle thus have more of an impact.
Other than accelerating, you should not notice any loss of HP from wheel spacers. BTW, I did not notice any loss of power with my 26 inch tires.

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
I have the 2" RB3 spacers all the way around and I've noticed no power difference. They're quite lightweight, compared to a big heavy tire upgrade. Now that, you'll notice.

J

Jbutler

Sep 17, 2016
Maricopa, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At our RB3 we have made them a light weight Wheel spacer. They are strong but light weight!!!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had 1.5” on all four of my 700-4 and I didn’t notice any loss of power.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!