P1000 Where to find shift point documentation?

C

Cook

Feb 12, 2016
Colorado
I received my new 1000 at the end of last week and have been doing some break-in driving. This is my first ATV/UTV and I am not sure where the shift points are supposed to occur in any of the drive modes. Unless I missed it, this information is not in the owner's manual. I have owned autos where this data was included in the manual.

I can't say that I experienced any problems so far (12 miles), with the exception of a single shift from second to third gear in low, 2WD, that seemed to reach high RPMs before the shift occurred. Having shift point documentation should be able to assist those who suspect clutch issues to explain their problem to dealers. Thanks.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is all I have found in the manual for the break in period.

63f9684447c38985b875a21eddd12079

C

Cook

Feb 12, 2016
Colorado
This is all I have found in the manual for the break in period.

63f9684447c38985b875a21eddd12079
Thanks, I saw that instruction for break-in and have been following it. What I would hope exists someplace is information on roughly how many RPM and speed the various gear shifts should occur. I can't get much over 30 mph due to the hills and curves on my dirt road and I think I've gotten into fifth gear. Which may be reasonable given that top speed of the 1000 is around 65 mph? I just don't know and would like to find the benchmarks as a reference.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe you should drive the vehicle in automatic mode and pay attention to where it shifts under different throttle positions and that would give you an idea of where to shift in manual mode.

Personally I think that it would be pretty hard to hurt the motor as it does have a rev limiter so you should not over rev the engine with that built-in protection. Also, it won't let you lug the engine when in manual mode is it will override your shift inputs.

I hope this helps.

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
I looked in the service manual and couldn't find anything on the suggested shifting RPM's that a technician would use to diagnose a problem. On a side note, there is a LOT of STUFF involved in the shifting of the transmission!!!

C

Cook

Feb 12, 2016
Colorado
Thanks guys for looking for me. As part of break-in I'm trying to verify that everything works as it should, checking for fluid leaks, stopping rattling doors and such. Could you tell me, if you were driving on a straight, flat roadway in auto high, in turf mode, at what speed and RPMs would you expect your 1000 would shift? I will use that data to baseline my own machine's performance. Thanks again.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The shift points will vary greatly depending on throttle input. If I hold rpm at 3000, it will shift differently vs holding rpm at 5k or 5k and so on. I'm not sure how to help with your request.

If it's not slipping and everything seems to be working as it should, you will be good.

Reactions: dale5740
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
its like @joeymt33 said @Cook real hard to give u an answer the best way would be under full throttle to have a more consistent MARK. The unit has a throttle position sensor. All fuel injection vehicles do based on that it tells the ecu based on tps wheel speed and rmp when to shift. It also uses algorithms to determine rpm rise and at what rate it is rising so It can pre determine when to shift!! for instance if you are on the road under normal power and u hit ice and it starts spinning and u stay in the gas it will do 2 things in manual mode it will actually lower the rev limiter to protect the engine and in auto the ecu will prob shift early cause it see's a quick rise in rpm. the damn thing is smart!! for instance if u start it up and its cold It is in a limp mode map till it reaches full temp. So during that time the rev limiter is lower than normal and timing is retarded a couple of degrees for safety and it is throwing more fuel to warm it up. The amount of stuff that is in these ECU's is crazy. Me and some friends are working on an ecu editor to hack into it I cant wait! Did u guys know that some manufacturers put nitrous and boost controllers stock in the ecu,shift light controllers,2nd and third shift on the fly mapping,shift solenoid hold and delay times (notice how slow the shifts are when u hit the paddles) imagine hitting the paddle and bam super fast shifts up and down. Then flick a switch and everything is back to stock specs. thats all sport mode is (another map with different parameters and rules that can all be adjusted to your desire what ever that might be. That can all be adjusted its real safe right now all u have to do is access them they are already there. thats all power commander does they just make it easy to adjust fuel mapping but there is so much more there. change when your fan comes on and off change rev limiter per gear, shift points per gear, timing per rpm curve,duty cycle on fuel injectors (dry nitrous) no need for a wet shot! change Idle rpm,tell ecu not to down shift for you in Manuel mode, when unit is cold it has one map when its in normal operating temp range it has another, when its hot or to hot it has another when its in sport mode it has another and all those maps can be adjusted to your own parameters and pick between them on the fly, this stuff isn't for everyone just saying its crazy can't wait!!!

Reactions: joeymt33

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!