BOX1

P1000 Which of these tire, or should i look at something different?

M

Montster

Nov 13, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I ride in West Virginia, mainly on paths or trails, sometimes they are steep and sometimes they get greasy and slick. I also ride on dirt and gravel roads often. On rare occasions i will ride on tar and chip or asphalt roads. I go around mud when I can. I am looking for a tire that will give me good traction in the majority of the situations I mentioned above and when plowing snow. I would also like to get one that will last longer than my stock tires and that will be a lot more puncture resistant. I have already had 3 flatts, and a cut in one, that forced me to have to replace the whole tire. The local atv shop is recommending the quadboss qbt 446. I also have a friend that is recommending the tusk terrabites. I have never used either of these tires. I am just wanting to learn from the experiences of the guys on the forum. Which of these two tires would you recommend for my type of riding, or would you recommend another tire that hasn't been mentioned? Any info or help will be greatly appreciated!

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The right tire is solely based on your type of riding and terrain. I’m in Colorado and our trails are steep and rocky. It’s a must out here to have at least an 8 ply tire. Since I run mostly in snow, I need a deeper tread then the 3/4“ tread depth on most tires. Plus, running an 8 or 10 ply tire, you don’t need to haul around a spare. The sidewalls are stiff enough you can run with zero tire pressure all day. I’m running 8 ply 28“ Sedona Ripsaws. Havent found anything that works better for my conditions.

Reactions: Ridinfool
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The right tire is solely based on your type of riding and terrain. I’m in Colorado and our trails are steep and rocky. It’s a must out here to have at least an 8 ply tire. Since I run mostly in snow, I need a deeper tread then the 3/4“ tread depth on most tires. Plus, running an 8 or 10 ply tire, you don’t need to haul around a spare. The sidewalls are stiff enough you can run with zero tire pressure all day. I’m running 8 ply 28“ Sedona Ripsaws. Havent found anything that works better for my conditions.
I’m running the same tires, I live in the mountains of WNC,real rocky, muddy and snow at times, so far I’ve been real happy with them. @Montster to answer your question...🤷‍♂️A lot depends on where you ride and how you drive, look for a good 8-10 tire you should be good. A lot of guys have run the terrabites and love them so that would a good tire to go with. Really it’s about personal preference, good luck.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im im
I ride in West Virginia, mainly on paths or trails, sometimes they are steep and sometimes they get greasy and slick. I also ride on dirt and gravel roads often. On rare occasions i will ride on tar and chip or asphalt roads. I go around mud when I can. I am looking for a tire that will give me good traction in the majority of the situations I mentioned above and when plowing snow. I would also like to get one that will last longer than my stock tires and that will be a lot more puncture resistant. I have already had 3 flatts, and a cut in one, that forced me to have to replace the whole tire. The local atv shop is recommending the quadboss qbt 446. I also have a friend that is recommending the tusk terrabites. I have never used either of these tires. I am just wanting to learn from the experiences of the guys on the forum. Which of these two tires would you recommend for my type of riding, or would you recommend another tire that hasn't been mentioned? Any info or help will be greatly appreciated!
Im in w.v to, terribites where highly recommend from couple people. just mounted them today going to go out ill let u know how they do

20210122 143824

M

Montster

Nov 13, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok. Thank you guys. I think I’m going to go with 28 x 10 x 14 on all 4 corners and try to use my stock wheels. If I would go with the 8 ply Sedona ripsaws of that size will I notice more power loss than if I chose the terrabites or the quad boss tires of the same size?

Reactions: TripleB
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am running the 28” Ripsaws all around. Beadlock 4/3 rims. And I live at 8500’ and everything I ride is higher elevation up to 14,000’. I have no issues with power. My buddy put 29” tires on last year and had problems at altitude so he had to take them off.

DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m in Ohio where it Kentucky and WV all meet. I run xtr370s in 28x10x14. I really like them so far. They are slightly more aggressive all terrain tire than the quad boss or terrabites, but still much quieter than the bighorns on pavement. I haven’t had any problems with power loss. Good luck in your hunt like everyone else said it all depends on your riding.

20884C8B D955 4B53 8A8F 23BF49C9E851

M

Montster

Nov 13, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Those look very good also

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I chose STI Chicane RX tires in 28x10R14 based on:

Weight - 32 lbs
DOT rating - Y
Ply rating - 8
Load rating - 853
Riding conditions - primarily dry/rocky/desert - Bighorn or Ripsaws do way better in slick mud or snowy conditions, but I'm mostly around the fire enjoying a beverage in those conditions.

I am unclear on whether load rating is based on tire pressure for UTV tires, so I went for a higher load rating to be conservative. I am about 2,400 lbs in the 1000-5 with 2-3 people onboard. Seems like most folks don't worry about load rating too much for SxS machines. DOT rating is not required by statute in Arizona, but there are purported rumors of law enforcement citing SxS drivers for non-DOT tires on crowded weekends in rural towns.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!