Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think for most of us our pioneers are toys first and tools second. But when I use mine as a tool I am constantly reminded just how valuable it is.

Last Sunday it was announced over local news that the dam at lake Oroville about 70 miles up river from me was expected to fail within an hour. With little time to spare I fueled up my truck and the Pioneer and my wife and drove over to load up the cows at the winter pasture, which literally butts up to the river.

By the time we got to the loading corrals it was completely dark. Luckily I had already invested in numerous LED's on the Pioneer that I used to light up the chute so I could easily back up to it.

Next we had to catch cows. Over time my cows have learned the sound of my Yoshimura pipe and now associate it with being fed. On this night they must have been in earshot because by the time I had the trailer situated, there they were. Catching them was easy by that point.

Now we had to get them loaded. Once again thank God for light bars!!! I was able to park my Pioneer a ways back and light up the entire working pen and loading chute.

Finally by around 10:30 we got the last load on the road back to the safe high ground of the home ranch. When we got home I asked the wife, "aren't you glad I put all those lights on there now?"

Of course she agreed.

The moral is don't hesitate to spend a bit to get your rig outfitted just how you want it. It's ok to spend on lights you rarely turn on, a winch that may never get used, etc. Bottom line is when you need those things you'll be glad you have them!

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great story and I'm glad you were able to get the cows to safe ground. I completely agree with everything you said, too. Up here we have 17 to 19 hours of daylight during the summer, and there isn't a lot of opportunity to ride in the winter. I have a 42" light bar on the front and two cube lights on the back. I've used them more for light while not driving it than I have while driving it.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think for most of us our pioneers are toys first and tools second. But when I use mine as a tool I am constantly reminded just how valuable it is.

Last Sunday it was announced over local news that the dam at lake Oroville about 70 miles up river from me was expected to fail within an hour. With little time to spare I fueled up my truck and the Pioneer and my wife and drove over to load up the cows at the winter pasture, which literally butts up to the river.

By the time we got to the loading corrals it was completely dark. Luckily I had already invested in numerous LED's on the Pioneer that I used to light up the chute so I could easily back up to it.

Next we had to catch cows. Over time my cows have learned the sound of my Yoshimura pipe and now associate it with being fed. On this night they must have been in earshot because by the time I had the trailer situated, there they were. Catching them was easy by that point.

Now we had to get them loaded. Once again thank God for light bars!!! I was able to park my Pioneer a ways back and light up the entire working pen and loading chute.

Finally by around 10:30 we got the last load on the road back to the safe high ground of the home ranch. When we got home I asked the wife, "aren't you glad I put all those lights on there now?"

Of course she agreed.

The moral is don't hesitate to spend a bit to get your rig outfitted just how you want it. It's ok to spend on lights you rarely turn on, a winch that may never get used, etc. Bottom line is when you need those things you'll be glad you have them!
Exactly! You never know when you might need a little more, and when you do it always pays off.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Of course she agreed.

Yep, I agree and I'm glad that they were able to get enough rip rap in that cavity to hold!

Reactions: Tflynn and Delton
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Of course she agreed. Do you have life jackets for all you cattle? No really, I'm glad you are ok and hopefully your cattle.There is a fallacy in believing the government knows what they are doing, they don't have a clue.

G

gsiebrecht

Aug 22, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've been following that dam thread over at ar15.com, its quite interesting. Hope they manage the flow and keep you dry.

Reactions: Tflynn and AKRider
Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
I knew you were up in that area so I had been thinking about you wondering if you were affected by the dam. Glad you got your cattle moved. What a nightmare!!! Glad to hear your home ranch is on high ground. Hope the dam holds for you and all concerned. ...And yay for the pioneer.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!