P700 Will 700 run with dead battery?

Tim-1000 XT-R

Tim-1000 XT-R

Nov 2, 2018
Oakdale, MN
I'm wondering if my battery for whatever reason is at some point dead when I go to start it and I start it with a battery pack jumper, will it stay running even if the battery is shot? Battery pack jumper unhooked of course. Thanks for any responses.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I should run fine from the power your stator puts out if my memory is correct . Like a car when battery is dead will use power the alternator is making. If I'm wrong I know someone with correct answer will chime in.

Reactions: 70Bones
H

HondaTech

As long as there is some input voltage from the battery it will run but very poorly and probably wont shift at all.

If you unhook the battery and jump the unti, it will die immediately when the jumper is removed, as the PCM isn't supplied voltage to run the ignition or the fuel pump.

Running on a dead battery could also damage those components with voltage spikes.

Tim-1000 XT-R

Tim-1000 XT-R

Nov 2, 2018
Oakdale, MN
As long as there is some input voltage from the battery it will run but very poorly and probably wont shift at all.

If you unhook the battery and jump the unti, it will die immediately when the jumper is removed, as the PCM isn't supplied voltage to run the ignition or the fuel pump.

Running on a dead battery could also damage those components with voltage spikes.

Thank you good to know

Reactions: Mudwing
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I know on a Rancher/Foreman and suspect on the Honda P500 if you have a "low" battery the electronic shifting will not operate, so you end up using the small "gear shifter" to get it into a gear or two then limp home.

Reactions: Mudwing
H

HondaTech

I know on a Rancher/Foreman and suspect on the Honda P500 if you have a "low" battery the electronic shifting will not operate, so you end up using the small "gear shifter" to get it into a gear or two then limp home.

This is true, people often look past the "electric" part of the electric shift and disregard battery voltage when troubleshooting.

A good/charged battery is the basis for any troublehsooting on electric shift/auto/dct models.

Last edited:
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2

That's why most folks run 2 batteries in airplanes without magneto ignition...one for the panel and one for fuel and spark.

Reactions: Isaiah
Dockman

Dockman

Lifetime Member
Jul 5, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2
Good info here fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!