P1000 Will not go into high or low after trying to adjust shifter cable

J

JorgeNavarro

Nov 22, 2021
San Antonio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 1000-5 with 20 hours. Was having to hunt around with shifter to get into desired position so I followed the shop instructions to adjust shifter cable. Now the only way I can get it into neutral, high or low is by manually reaching down and moving arm on the sub trans. Using the dash shifter will only go into park or reverse. I feel like I am missing some step or maybe the cable needs to be replaced? Anyone experienced the same issue or have any ideas?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a 2021 1000-5 with 20 hours.
First off Welcome from Michigan

Sorry your having issues.
We have a requirement when u join/first post thats pics for proof of purchase or these guys will give u…
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Also how many miles on the rig?
Hrs only do us so much.
Also, we recomend to always use the search up top for your issue, ofds are we covered it already.
If u find the prob and fix it, come back with what you did. Dont leave us hanging like Epstine;)
Example…
IMG 7680

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 1000-5 with 20 hours. Was having to hunt around with shifter to get into desired position so I followed the shop instructions to adjust shifter cable. Now the only way I can get it into neutral, high or low is by manually reaching down and moving arm on the sub trans. Using the dash shifter will only go into park or reverse. I feel like I am missing some step or maybe the cable needs to be replaced? Anyone experienced the same issue or have any ideas?
There is a YouTube video on that adjustment linked in many threads on here. We’ve heard many people say it was far more useful than the manual for that adjustment procedure.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which cable adjustment were you doing, the one in the sealed box under the bed, or the one on the firewall behind the shift mechanism?

What were your initial symptoms that you were trying to adjust for in the first place?

J

JorgeNavarro

Nov 22, 2021
San Antonio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried adjusting the cable under the battery with the two 19mm nuts. I was having difficulty getting into the intended gear(high, low, reverse) as the shifter position would not match what the dash indicated. I would have to move the shifter in and out of different positions until it went into the right gear. It has 56 miles. Bought it new two years ago. Never had any other issue with it. I've watched every video I could find.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
There is a YouTube video on that adjustment linked in many threads on here. We’ve heard many people say it was far more useful than the manual for that adjustment procedure.
Yup! Fo sho Skipper!
But I dont think he wants to search on here for it. Must be a Democrat 🥳JK

J

JorgeNavarro

Nov 22, 2021
San Antonio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the issue resolved. It appears one of the bolts that holds the shift cable to the sub-trans fell off and the bracket was loose. This caused the metal sleeve to break loose at the end of the cable. I attached the sleeve back to the end of the cable and replaced the missing bolt. I did use a longer bolts for the bracket so I could add a lock washer. Hopefully this will keep the bolts from falling out again. I was then able to adjust the cable properly and it works perfect now.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have the issue resolved. It appears one of the bolts that holds the shift cable to the sub-trans fell off and the bracket was loose. This caused the metal sleeve to break loose at the end of the cable. I attached the sleeve back to the end of the cable and replaced the missing bolt. I did use a longer bolts for the bracket so I could add a lock washer. Hopefully this will keep the bolts from falling out again. I was then able to adjust the cable properly and it works perfect now.
Glad you got it fixed!
Now for those rig pics!
#POIDH

Reactions: Backwoods
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Those adjustment cables seem to be troublesome for a lot of Pioneer owners.

There should be a sticky regarding keeping them checked and adjusted.

Reactions: Remington
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I did use a longer bolts for the bracket so I could add a lock washer. Hopefully this will keep the bolts from falling out again.
One word: Loctite

Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!