Will the 520 get the job done?

A

AnthonyVT

Aug 21, 2021
Vermont
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm currently plowing with a Polaris Sportsman 500. It performs well in plowing 400' of driveway and 400' of road frontage. I would like to have a windshield and a roof on my plow machine and am considering the Pioneer 520. I would also be using the machine to haul wood out of my wood lot which is a bit steep on parts of it and packed fairly densely with trees. The 700 is not significantly more costly so it isn't the dollar amount I am concerned with but the fact that the machine is bigger and may not perform as well as the 520 on the forested hillside. This will be a work machine, not a trail riding machine. The local Honda dealer has neither available at the moment so I haven't even sat in them, however, from what I've read online and have seen in videos, the 520 might be the better choice. Any thoughts? Thanks!

G

GreatNorth

May 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
I can’t speak for the 700, but just reached first service on a 520 picked up in July. It sounds like your use is similar, and we went with the 520 due to size—wanted something to fit in tight spaces.

The previous machine doing the jobs was a Polaris Sportsman 800 Big Boss 6x6. It was a beast with plenty of power to push snow, including uphill. We hauled heavy loads of wood and mulch stacking both to the top of 2’ wooden sides added to 800 lb capacity dump bed. A bungy cord or two across the back above the closed tailgate kept wood from falling out going up steep hills. It would go anywhere 4 wheel ATVs did and some places they couldn’t. Overall, it was an awesome machine for the work and also fun to ride. Polaris suspension really smoothed out the bumps. But it was awfully thirsty and we spent $$$$ maintaining it. Every time I worked on it, the quality—or lack thereof—was annoying. So we skipped the engine rebuild and looked for a replacement.

in our case, any ATV is undersized for our snowfall so we’re delegating that job to another purchase (CTL). But we wanted something more durable than the Polaris for everything else and settled on the P520, though we wondered a bit about reduced box size and weight capacity, less ground clearance, and rougher suspension.

We’ve had it for 1.5 months and brought in 3 cords of wood with it from various places in the woods around, including up a steep trail (35% grade). It’s also hauled mulch and a bit of dirt.

It’s loud, rough riding, and growing on me. For utility use, I like the side-by-side config better than the old Polaris 6x6 ATV. Geared transmission with low first is great for hills. I don’t need the brakes hauling heavy loads of wood down a long steep hill. With the tailgate open, I can stack two rows of wood in it like I did with the tailgate closed on the larger Polaris box. I stack well above the sides using large pieces on the sides so nothing rolls out, but won’t extend the box sides up as I can get plenty of weight in as it is. Most of my wood comes from gentle grades, or up the steep hill so I’m loaded on the way down. Open tailgate is fine for that. I picked some wood up in a spot where I had to go up a short but very steep uphill before going down the long steep hill. With the Polaris and closed tailgate, I’d carefully take that going forwards without issues. With the P520 I backed up it as I would’ve lost the whole load of wood out the open tailgate otherwise. In the future, I’ll probably need to figure out a way to tie in the wood with tailgate open or just take smaller loads when going further along the trail with a bunch of steep ups and downs (steep enough that front of Polaris 6x6 got very light with a load of wood in the back). I’m also getting a trailer, which will be more convenient for moving mulch, though I’m not sure how much I’ll want to use it on the steep trail.

The P520 will go most places the Polaris would go, though the roll cage can be a bit limiting.

Overall, I’m happy with the P520 and would probably choose it again for our primarily utility use. My favourite things are gears, side-by-side seating, roof, and working on it (just first service so far), it seems fairly well engineered (not constantly thinking “Really?” Like when working on the Polaris. If I could change anything, it would get a bit smoother suspension and cushier seat, a bit longer, square box (as long as wide, like the Polaris had), and be quieter—though the Polaris was noisey too.

Now that it’s cooling down, I think we may add a windshield. I’d definitely want that for plowing, though we plan to do that with a different machine.

Hope this helps!

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

We chose the P520 for the size of it too. We have a very dense forest for a back yard and wanted the smaller size but still have utility. We too could have purchased a 700 or 1000, but the size of those were just too big to fit through our forest.

I've overloaded the bed with wood and tied it down to keep it in place. Steep hills in low are not an issue. Sidehills are never fun, but that is almost any machine. I suspect this little machine could push a lot of snow, and to be honest I feel the transmission is better suited to it vs the CVTs in the Polaris. Maybe I'm not informed on this as much as I should be though...

As far as loud, yes, in new form it is pretty loud. Change the oil in the engine/trans as well as the diffs and it gets way quieter. Night and day difference. I also installed a Trigger heat/sound shield that made a difference too. I did find that after my windshield and top were put on, the sound was slightly louder again. I think I may find some sound deadening insulation to put on the underside of the top to see if that will quiet it down.

As far as ride, I added a larger radial tire with lower pressure. That made a noticeable difference. My next upgrade will be shocks, which I hear will change things even more. I know this is never going to feel plush like 14-20" of travel will feel, but then again, this is a workhorse first and toy next...

We don't get much snow here, maybe 20-36" for the entire season. I have thought about a plow/blade for my drive, but it is likely overkill. I may just buy a bigger blower and call it good.

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm currently plowing with a Polaris Sportsman 500. It performs well in plowing 400' of driveway and 400' of road frontage. I would like to have a windshield and a roof on my plow machine and am considering the Pioneer 520. I would also be using the machine to haul wood out of my wood lot which is a bit steep on parts of it and packed fairly densely with trees. The 700 is not significantly more costly so it isn't the dollar amount I am concerned with but the fact that the machine is bigger and may not perform as well as the 520 on the forested hillside. This will be a work machine, not a trail riding machine. The local Honda dealer has neither available at the moment so I haven't even sat in them, however, from what I've read online and have seen in videos, the 520 might be the better choice. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I know there’s plenty of people here using the P5 to plow, so it seems the 520 should be fine….

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
I decided on the P520 over the P700, because of the transmission. The P520 has a 5-speed with 1st gear being very low. The P700 is a 3-speed “automotive style automatic.” If the P700 had the same type of transmission as the P520 I would of got the P700. You are right there is not much difference in price.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I decided on the P520 over the P700, because of the transmission. The P520 has a 5-speed with 1st gear being very low. The P700 is a 3-speed “automotive style automatic.” If the P700 had the same type of transmission as the P520 I would of got the P700. You are right there is not much difference in price.
Good choice….👍

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Having faced nearly the same circumstances, except I was using an 08 Honda Rancher. I was not able to find a P520 for about a year.

I happened across an available Yamaha X2 850XT-R. It was significantly more money, but more machine as well. Retailed at $16,399. It included a roof, power steering and a 4500lb Warn winch. All of which I would have purchased for the 520 anyway. It is about 10" wider than the 520 and weighs about 1670lbs. It has a wider stance and much better suspension than the 520.

Whatever you decide, don't sell the Polaris until you have something to replace it. We don't know if availability is going to get better or worse.

Reactions: Dave75 and Mudwing
Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
The Yamaha X2 is nice, I think Yamaha has the best belt drive.
The P520 is $9499 vs the X2 at $16399.
If you want a basic SXS the P520 is the way to go.
The P520 is great for tight trails in the woods.
In the 1st photo you can see the Polaris Ranger just makes it thru and my P520 has no problems.
The P520 is not great for long straight trails, like the Nicolet State Trail in Wisconsin. See 2nd photo.
With a top speed of 40mph and a good trail speed is 30mph.

5720A325 6A9F 4FEC 8B6E 51BC21E2B09B 31D9EF9E 540F 44EB 9ECF F0F9A8D8E4A6 19F60B21 07F4 4B58 B239 D4338EADE52D

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!