P700m4 Winch killing radio

N

Norndorf

Mar 27, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
So just added a new Kfi plow and hydraulic control. Everything works fine but now when lifting the plow with the winch my radio shuts off so I’m assuming the winch is demanding to much power. I’ve got all my accessories wired to a secondary battery, should I maybe separate the winch back to the original battery and leave everything else on the secondary?? Need some help because I’d like to listen to some tunes while out plowing!!

Reactions: TripleB
NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Have you considered shortening the tow/lift cable length on your winch. The winch develops the most torque on the first wrap around the drum. The 20 year old rig we use around here for plowing only has 6'-8' of cable on it. Works much better. Might help to extend your battery life.

Reactions: Mudder
N

Norndorf

Mar 27, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Have you considered shortening the tow/lift cable length on your winch. The winch develops the most torque on the first wrap around the drum. The 20 year old rig we use around here for plowing only has 6'-8' of cable on it. Works much better. Might help to extend your battery life.
I’m not worried so much with battery life but with power supply. I’m thinking it’s just not got enough juice to run both when that winch initially kicks the system. Plus this is my rig to go riding on too so I don’t want to swap out different length winch ropes if I don’t have too.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Confirm, the winch is direct to the battery and not connected to a bus bar, relay, or anything like that? Both Hot and Ground?

Reactions: Mudder and Mudwing
N

Norndorf

Mar 27, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Confirm, the winch is direct to the battery and not connected to a bus bar, relay, or anything like that? Both Hot and Ground?
It’s going to my bus bar coming off the secondary battery which all the accessories including the radio is also. So should I connect direct to the secondary or primary battery with just the winch?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes you need to run the winch leads directly to the battery.

Does the radio just die on the bump of the winch? Or when running constantly?

I have a blink of my led lights when I bump my winch, but I don’t have a radio ( i use a bt speaker). I’m most likely going to install a capacitor and diode on my big led bar to eliminate the blinks when I bump the winch. My winch is wired directly to the aux battery with everything thing else on a bus bar on the same battery on my P1k5.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Best to run those winch cables from the contactor to the second battery. Using the same heavy gauge wire that came with the winch.

Last edited:
N

Norndorf

Mar 27, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yes you need to run the winch leads directly to the battery.

Does the radio just die on the bump of the winch? Or when running constantly?

I have a blink of my led lights when I bump my winch, but I don’t have a radio ( i use a bt speaker). I’m most likely going to install a capacitor and diode on my big led bar to eliminate the blinks when I bump the winch. My winch is wired directly to the aux battery with everything thing else on a bus bar on the same battery on my P1k5.
It dies on the first bump of the winch. Where do I run the lead for the switch though? I’m confused because if it’s all from the secondary battery isn’t it all pulling the same regardless if it’s directly connected or through the bus bar?

N

Norndorf

Mar 27, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Best to run those winch cables from the contactor to the second battery. Using the same heavy gauge wire that came with the winch.
Heading to pick up cables now. But what’s the difference if I have them direct connected vs through the bus bar if they are all tied to the second battery anyway? Also, hot lead to the rocker switch coming right from the winch solenoid too?

NewHere2

NewHere2

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Heading to pick up cables now. But what’s the difference if I have them direct connected vs through the bus bar if they are all tied to the second battery anyway? Also, hot lead to the rocker switch coming right from the winch solenoid too?

Without knowing what the winch manufacturer recommends for wire size or installation techniques, my guess is you are just starving the winch of available amperage. So its pulling all the available amperage from your buss bar, causing the rest of the accessories to malfunction.

If the battery is properly sized for your working load and in good working order, it should handle all the load of the winch and various accessories. Provided each accessory receives enough amperage to make it work properly. So what limits available amperage ?? Generally the size of the wire being used and the quality of the wire.

If the size of the wire going to your buss bar is smaller than the size that came with the winch, it can be a problem. Then throw on the rest of the accessories and the problem gets worse.

In addition, your ground wire should be of equal or one size larger than the power wire. It just works better. I like to use a circuit breaker (or fuse) rated for the stall/maximum pull load of the winch on the main power wire. My 2500 Warn winch requires an 80 Amp. I like to mount them as close to the battery as possible just for safety.

The power feed wire for the rocker switch should work off the buss bar, once you connect the main winch power wire to the battery.

Hope other more knowledgeable folks will "chime in".

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If its killing with a no load bump, then there is another issue here.
Check over your wires again and make sure none are touching.

As for bus bar. It can only handle so much. You winch will take all of it and kill everything else.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I had a radio drop off on current swing. Many radio owners manuals list the specs +/- voltage. My issue was intermittent high voltage spike due to a bad voltage regulator at 18 volts. You could have the opposite swing. On an atv plow set up, I used a pulley to reduce speed and lifting load because of the # of full cable wraps on the drum.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a radio drop off on current swing. Many radio owners manuals list the specs +/- voltage. My issue was intermittent high voltage spike due to a bad voltage regulator at 18 volts. You could have the opposite swing. On an atv plow set up, I used a pulley to reduce speed and lifting load because of the # of full cable wraps on the drum.

I got a similar phenomenon which I only noticed when I put my big light bar on. I can see on my dual volt meter that my voltage on my buss bar plummets like a rock when I bump my winch. I suspect the OP has the same problem.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!