Winch Manufacturer

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013
Been looking at Warn and Superwinch models. What do you prefer? I am assuming a 3K winch would be adequate?

Your input is appreciated!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Idaho, not sure a 3k will cut it in a tough situation. Just cause it says 3k does not mean it pulls 3k. Read into the layer pull power, or whatever it's called. A 3k winch will only pull at 1800 lbs on layer 4. And most of the time I only extend my line far enough to get out. Say a few yards at most. Hardly ever do I pull on layer 1 or 2.

I chose a 5K venom winch. I've had luck with them so far. I have a 4k on my Rincon.
Ttyl.

Here is the pull by layer info.
http://www.warn.com/atv/winches/Vantage_3000.shtml

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
warn and the superwinch terra models i feel are equal in quality -viper winches are also great they have the best customer service in the industry i think venom winches 3k and above are top notch also ramsey is the hardest pulling winch i have ever owned but it is not a sealed winch and mud and water will destroy it faster than others you cant go wrong with any of the top brands it all depends on how much you want to spend

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Putting on my flame suit, i will say that i will probably just get one of the Badlands winches from Harbor Freight. The 3000 can be had for $120 or so, and the 5000 is around $200, but various sales will get you them cheaper. You'll pay more for just the Honda winch mount! They look to be copies of Warn, and come with a lot of stuff.

People seem to automatically attack them because of where they came from, but if you look on their site, they actually get very good reviews ( 4 of 5 for both ).

3000 is a bit shy of what would be recommended by mfg's, which is usually to double the GVWR. You could certainly use a snatch block with a 3000 and be OK, but this would be a bit of a pain if you used it often. 5000 will cover it as long as it fits...which it should. I do wish they made a 4000lbs or 4500 model.

There are also a number of other choices available from various private labels priced somewhere in between the Warn and the Badlands. Rocky Mountain ATV ( Tusk ) has a 3500 for $199.

Reactions: mole

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!