P700 Winch mount/Winch/Winch Cable options for Plowing

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi so the MAIN use of the winch on my Pioneer will be for plowing. On my now dead Rhino I am replacing it was a moose plow, 3500Lb winch (TractorSupply) with steel cable.

All worked well except for occasionally IE once a year or every other year the steel cable would break right at the end due I assume to the 90 deg turn the cable had to take coming off of the winch roller.

So I see a few mount options, one from KFI and another from Kolpin, is one better than the other? Mainly want ease of install and ease of access.

Second Steel or rope line? What is best for plowing? I see Kopin makes an auto stop switch for rope line setups, this for sure would help but how is that to use? How is that to wire in?

Winch size - Ive had a 2500lb and a 3500lb, dont see any reason to go larger and honestly the 2500 was quicker to lift the plow, any opinions??

Last the plow, Im on limited budget after spending $12K+ on the UTV so was looking at Kolpin universal plow its under $500. Honda Pioneer/Talon Switchblade Universal Snow Plow System by Kolpin - Everything Honda Offroad

I plan on installing a second battery with an isolator and I see several helpful threads on doing that so I should be able to handle that.

As for the switch to control the winch, does the Pioneer dash have a place for putting switches, is there a faceplate with switch holes already cut available?

Thanks!

Phil

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Bump anyone have an opinion on this?

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
For me and my situation I run a roller and a short section of wire rope.
By short section I mean a section that only allows one full layer on the drum.
My plow markers have a spot of lime green paint with black on either side of it so I know when the plow is fully lifted.
To my way of thinking the more complexity you add the more points of failure you add with it.
Keep it simple and listen to the machine you will know when the plow is up.

Reactions: trigger and Mudwing
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I mainly use mine for plowing but it has pulled me out of a mud hole too. Synthetic is nice bc if it breaks you can just tie a knot in it to get you through. Mounting the winch up high gives better pull angle so I went with the KFI winch mount. Roller fairlead works best for plowing IMO, not as hard on the rope as a hawse type. I run a 66" wide on a 500 so you might want a 72" for a 700. That's all I got.

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi thanks, looks like the 66 just clears the side of the 700 when fully angled so I may go with that as we get some heavy wet snow sometimes and can be hard to move. I see the pulley fairlead adapter that loops the winch line through a pull on the plow and hooks back up on bumper top bar and appears to give it good upward pull. I like the idea of the rope and just tying a knot when it breaks, thanks.

phil

Reactions: trigger
G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I had a steel cable winch on my 2008 Ranger and used a 72" steel blade. The Ranger was 60" wide. it gave me plenty of flexibility. I then went to a 2012 Ranger and started right out with a synthetic line and with the same style blade. Worked great for 9 years. I might add that on average I get about 100 inches of snow, sometimes as much as 2' at once. Mostly though it is more like 4-8". Also at my altitude it is more often light and fluffy then wet and heavy.

This year I have outfitted my 2021 P1000-3 with a synthetic rope and the 72" poly-blade. No snow yet <G> but last year we had our first plowable storm in Sept. I think it will be righteous.

s/f Steve

Reactions: mpilihp and trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!