P1000 Windshield Drama

S

Steel

Dec 1, 2020
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
So hear me out...
Living in AK, if you don't ride in the rain you might as well not ride. Same with winter hunting, if you won't go in the cold, better hang it up.

Last machine, 700-4 had half windshield and I loved it. Now have 2022 Honda 1000-5, currently have Super ATV once piece poly windshield. Trying to decide if I want to go back to half windshield and suffer a little in the cold, and wear glasses in the summer. Or I can take the plunge and get a folding, or i can really splurge and get the glass with wiper and washer.

Whats the general concensus on any and all windshields? I don't mind going with glass and wiper, but want something thats not going to go to s*** in the short term. Looking at SATV, thier full glass only has a wiper on the driver side, wife would NOT approve.

Thanks all

Reactions: Buggyman and TxDoc
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
If it rains all the time and you seem to be out in the frigid weather when hunting, I'm puzzled why you would consider a half windshield. I've always ran split windshields on my machines, but recently went to solid hard coat windshields on my past few purchases. I am running a split windshield on my P1K-5 and finally liking it once replacing hardware with one of our club member's solution. I didn't purchase the Super ATV because it doesn't address the crack between the top of the windshield and inside of the roof. I understand their closure hardware is much better than Honda's. Glass is much heavier and subject to breaking

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I have the SATV 2-piece poly flip-up in my 1000-5 and the SATV full glass in my Talon. Both are great in thier own way. I love the ability to quickly open the flip-up from a small amount to full open and several stops in between. It's very popular with many riders here.

The full glass is really nice, as it keeps much more of the wind, rain, and elements out of your face (it does have small vents you can open), but that can be a negative in the hot summer. I installed radiator fans above our heads and PVM controllers to adjust speed, and I really like that. Yes, it only comes with one manual windshield wiper, but you can add a second. Some have even added a motorized setup, complete with reservoir and spray jets, but that's something I'm not sure I want.

If you like the half windshield you used to have, I'd say the SATV flip up is worth looking into more. I and my wife prefer the full glass, and I may be swapping out the flip up on the 1000-5 for glass, too - maybe.

Less than 1 post per year since joining in 2020. You need to get some pics of that buggy you bought in 2022 posted before the forum sheriff finds you in violation! 😆

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Steel
From what your mentioning I would go with the SATV flip windshield. If u want wipers, you can put manuals on. I did that to mine and it works well. The SATV flip is the best of both worlds. The KISS rule.. keep it simple stupid!

Now hear us out…
You have 3 posts since you joined in 2020.
Youve stated you had a P7 and now a P1 and questions to members about these in your 3 posts. There is no pics posted of any of these 2 rigs. You know what that means right?
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

• Haha
Reactions: Backwoods
BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMHO, I love my OE Full Glass windshield. I'm in WI and ride all year here and some in Northern MN. Not even close to the conditions in AK, but it's not FL either. There is a guy on here that fabs brackets that allow you to tilt the OE glass windshield open in summer. The electric wiper is justified to the driver side. Although I don't think it would be that hard to convert to a two wiper setup to keep the Mrs happy.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
There is a guy on here that fans brackets that allow you to tilt the OE glass windshield open in summer.
Do u have any info/link for this? Ive exhausted the search with nothing. Some odd ball stuff that never really got off the ground

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at SATV, thier full glass only has a wiper on the driver side, wife would NOT approve.

Easy solution. Let her drive! 🤣

Just messing around. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: futzin
advertisement
NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
@Remington I bought the brackets from @tmuggdesigns . I like them but cut some of the OEM hardware off so I could shut it without unbolting the whole thing. You'll see what I mean if you buy it.

Reactions: Remington