BOX1

P500 Windshield mount modification

J

JJ500

Nov 5, 2020
Wurtsboro, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I am in the market for a 1/4 hard coated flip open windshield but would like to access my front hood storage space easily. Has anyone modified their flip open windshield with some type of adjustable mounts for the bottom portion of the windshield that is normally fixed ?

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I am in the market for a 1/4 hard coated flip open windshield but would like to access my front hood storage space easily. Has anyone modified their flip open windshield with some type of adjustable mounts for the bottom portion of the windshield that is normally fixed ?
Welcome from Alabama, formerly from the frosty north (haha).

I'm not sure if you are dead set on a flip open windshield, but here is something to consider. Plastic scratches!
Since you live in NY, if you haven't already purchased a plastic windshield, I would suggest you look at a glass windshield, which can be scraped in winter conditions, plastic windshields really don't like ice scrapers (previous experience)

Here are a couple of past links for you to check out (with my comments)
Windshield - The Honda Side by Side Club! (post #15 which includes a hyper link to this post...
Honda 500 Full Glass Windshield - The Honda Side by Side Club! (my comments and photos are on Pg 3 post #45)
This windshield has a bottom vent that opens and allows easy removal of the hood for access.

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
J

JJ500

Nov 5, 2020
Wurtsboro, NY
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks DD, as a 70 year old snow bird that enjoys the winter in Florida. ( Oct.-April ) my primary use of the Pioneer 500 is during late spring, summer and early fall ! And only when the kids come to visit . So, the full days on the quad are pretty much over and my driving is limited to exploring local trails . I was under the impression that a 1/4 thick lexan or poly that was hard coated on both sides would satisfy my conservative driving habits. Not the kids of course. And the flip out and up with the duel pump mechanism seems like it was the way to go . I fully agree with your recommendations that a glass windshield offers the best visibility especially long term but I thought the abundance of fresh air during the summer was a slightly higher priority as long as I can still easily access my front storage compartment under the front hood.!i will check out your suggestions and many thanks fo

Reactions: Mudder
J

JJ500

Nov 5, 2020
Wurtsboro, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I saw your recommendation and all the posts on the glass windshield and was equally impressed. What it had going for me was easy access to my front hood storage . If I was also a winter rider then your recommendation was .100% on target ! I was impressed how the bottom flipped open to remove the front hood but I seem to still be struggling with a preference and need for more ventilation during the warmer months. The only drawback is that the flip up windshield does not permit easy access to the front hood. i remember reading about an earlier post that modified the bottom windshield but no parts or explanation was provided. It still seems to me that replacing the 2 fixed mounts with adjustable mounts if they are available should work ! I would welcome any thoughts on this idea. Thanks

Reactions: MarStar and Mudder
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!