P1000 Wiring help w/ relay and 5 pin switch

R

Rubicon20

Dec 3, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Any wiring guys help me out?

I’m hooking up a 50” curved light bar on my machine. I think I understand all the posts from the relays -
87 positive wire from actual light
85 goes to ground
86 goes to switch in cab
30 goes to positive on fuse block

i have a 5 position switch and for smaller lights where I did not use a relay - the top 2 are grounds, middle switch goes to fuse block, bottom right(6) I connected to key on power and bottom left(3) I connected to postive wire to light.

when using a relay how do I hook the switch up? I’m know I’m missing something easy here but can’t figure it out.
Thanks!

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just run the positive side of the switch to post 86. That relay like a light that you want to turn on and off with the switch.

If I understand your question.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if i understand what your asking correctly.

you can use the same key on power to power the lights on the switch and as your source to actuate the relay (86), if you want to only use the light bar when the key is on.

make sense? or did i miss what you are asking?

R

Rubicon20

Dec 3, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
if i understand what your asking correctly.

you can use the same key on power to power the lights on the switch and as your source to actuate the relay (86), if you want to only use the light bar when the key is on.

make sense? or did i miss what you are asking?
This is how I ended up getting it to work but the rest of my accessories work w/o key on power, which is what I wanted to do. If there is a way to do that yet I’d be all ears!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe it's me, but I'm not following what you're after. Okay, you have the light bar hooked up with a relay so it is only able to be turned on when both key-on and it's rocker switch is on. That's the way most have it, however it can be wired so it will turn on with it's rocker switch even if key-off. Pretty much any accessory can be wired so it's available key-off or key-on.

On higher current draw accessories, with perhaps the exception of the winch, it's usually advisable to have them on only with key-on.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is how I ended up getting it to work but the rest of my accessories work w/o key on power, which is what I wanted to do. If there is a way to do that yet I’d be all ears!
for sure you can do that.

instead of using the key on power for the switch input, take power directly from your battery (should be fused) and connect to the switch on the input terminal (2). keep terminal 6 connected to key on power

if your fuse block always has power, you can run from there to terminal 2. or if you already have a circuit from your fuse block on one of your other accessories nearby you can jump over from that to terminal 2. the relay wont add any significant load, just may get confusing later if you dont remember what you did

without knowing how you have the rest of the system hooked up its hard to give more exact instructions.

R

Rubicon20

Dec 3, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
for sure you can do that.

instead of using the key on power for the switch input, take power directly from your battery (should be fused) and connect to the switch on the input terminal (2). keep terminal 6 connected to key on power

if your fuse block always has power, you can run from there to terminal 2. or if you already have a circuit from your fuse block on one of your other accessories nearby you can jump over from that to terminal 2. the relay wont add any significant load, just may get confusing later if you dont remember what you did

without knowing how you have the rest of the system hooked up its hard to give more exact instructions.

View attachment 313499
Thank you for this - I may try this yet. Appreciate your help!

Reactions: Smitty335
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!