Work and Play toy hauler - anybody have one they use with a P1000?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Considering getting back into a toyhauler trailer. One issue with the P1000 is that it has a wide profile all the way up to the roof. Most toyhaulers have side cabinets that may be in the way. Anybody here have a Work and Play 25 or 30 that works with the P1K? What model will work? App your time..

Reactions: BWAF
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
have you looked at the custom toy haulers? i seen a few for good price enclosed front, open rear

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2008 38ft Fuzion Toy hauler with the 11ft garage. My Pioneer just fits before the front bed hits the roof. 159225560a55bfe3a5bb36557c53dceb

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Considering getting back into a toyhauler trailer. One issue with the P1000 is that it has a wide profile all the way up to the roof. Most toyhaulers have side cabinets that may be in the way. Anybody here have a Work and Play 25 or 30 that works with the P1K? What model will work? App your time..

I have a 13 Fuzion 301, it has a separate garage that is slightly over 10'...it fits the Pioneer...but with no bumper mods or mounted tire rack, you have to be square. The cabinet is on the front wall, none on the side. We also had to take out the bottom bunk (there are two) for the height or you could go with the fiber roof on the Honda...you have to do one or the other (remove bottom bed or the hard roof). There is some room on the side for storage like chairs, tents, etc. I also store light stuff in the buggy such as rugs, lighter chairs, table top grill, I put the rakes and shovels under the buggy. By the way you have to put the buggy in first and then load it or you could bend the ramp door (as I have :(), if not reinforced. If your door has the cable kit on it from the factory to sit on it's my understanding they are heavier duty.

We love the trailer (I've had many different models over the years), had a fifth wheel, the garage was over 11' and it did have cabinets on the side and the front wall, with the dual queen beds, the buggy fit fine. But I wanted my truck bed back so I went to hitch pull again. Plus the fifth wheel 38' was a beast to pull/park in the forest dry camping.

So with that said it has: a front queen bed, couch bed in living room, 2 -slides, had 2-queen beds in the back, 2 a/c units, fuel station and on-board generator.

My friends that have the open hull toy hauler (no separate garage) with cabinets that go all the way to the back do have issues with width and have to be very careful (again very square when pulling in) none have had issues with the buggy moving but if they did it could be bad on the cabinets.

The Fuzion anchor points or D rings are welded to the frame as I understand it where others are bolted.

So measure, measure, measure before you buy. Don't get one with slides if it's open hull, it'll likely not fit or you'll have to ramp up the wheel well which they are factory built for but might rub the wall.

FWIW, It's been my experience that if the toy hauler is sided with fiberglass they have a metal frame (not all), if it's sheet metal sided it's most likely wood frame, if it matters to you. It did me.

Some of the newer toy haulers are longer in length, have longer garages and you can get them with a second bathroom.

Good luck, Mike

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 13 Fuzion 301, it has a separate garage that is slightly over 10'...it fits the Pioneer...but with no bumper mods or mounted tire rack, you have to be square. The cabinet is on the front wall, none on the side. We also had to take out the bottom bunk (there are two) for the height or you could go with the fiber roof on the Honda...you have to do one or the other (remove bottom bed or the hard roof). There is some room on the side for storage like chairs, tents, etc. I also store light stuff in the buggy such as rugs, lighter chairs, table top grill, I put the rakes and shovels under the buggy. By the way you have to put the buggy in first and then load it or you could bend the ramp door (as I have :(), if not reinforced. If your door has the cable kit on it from the factory to sit on it's my understanding they are heavier duty.

We love the trailer (I've had many different models over the years), had a fifth wheel, the garage was over 11' and it did have cabinets on the side and the front wall, with the dual queen beds, the buggy fit fine. But I wanted my truck bed back so I went to hitch pull again. Plus the fifth wheel 38' was a beast to pull/park in the forest dry camping.

So with that said it has: a front queen bed, couch bed in living room, 2 -slides, had 2-queen beds in the back, 2 a/c units, fuel station and on-board generator.

My friends that have the open hull toy hauler (no separate garage) with cabinets that go all the way to the back do have issues with width and have to be very careful (again very square when pulling in) none have had issues with the buggy moving but if they did it could be bad on the cabinets.

The Fuzion anchor points or D rings are welded to the frame as I understand it where others are bolted.

So measure, measure, measure before you buy. Don't get one with slides if it's open hull, it'll likely not fit or you'll have to ramp up the wheel well which they are factory built for but might rub the wall.

FWIW, It's been my experience that if the toy hauler is sided with fiberglass they have a metal frame (not all), if it's sheet metal sided it's most likely wood frame, if it matters to you. It did me.

Some of the newer toy haulers are longer in length, have longer garages and you can get them with a second bathroom.

Good luck, Mike
Mike, I was able to adjust my limit switch and moved my bottom bunk to the mid mount point in the bed lift system and was able to get 3 in of clearence with the honda factory plastic roof, but I have a 5th wheel so not sure if my garage has a higher roof.

Reactions: HondaRed16
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mike, I was able to adjust my limit switch and moved my bottom bunk to the mid mount point in the bed lift system and was able to get 3 in of clearence with the honda factory plastic roof, but I have a 5th wheel so not sure if my garage has a higher roof.

Thank you man, I'll try that.

Although it wasn't an issue with my 5th wheel either, If I recall I think I have more room to go higher but it starves the return air on the a/c if I do that. None of them are perfect eh ;-(
We don't really need the 2nd bunk unless the grand-kids and the parents are with us at the same time, for that we've been using a blowup mattress on the floor under the bottom bunk and that works out pretty well.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you man, I'll try that.

Although it wasn't an issue with my 5th wheel either, If I recall I think I have more room to go higher but it starves the return air on the a/c if I do that. None of them are perfect eh ;-(
We don't really need the 2nd bunk unless the grand-kids and the parents are with us at the same time, for that we've been using a blowup mattress on the floor under the bottom bunk and that works out pretty well.
Leaving the bed out might be best. We use a airmatress on the lower bed and the upper bed is used for storage most of the time. I was surprised how about 30min of time how much additional room I made for the Pioneer. Orginal it wouldn't fit.

Reactions: HondaRed16
C

CTA

Sep 3, 2019
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have a 2019 p1k5 with the honda roof and a 35' raptor 5er with 10 foot garage. I had to flip the mount brackets over for the bottom bunk and remove the limit switch to let the bunks raise higher. We also have a 2 drawer dresser in the garage for the kids. The pioneer barely fits height and length wise but there's enough room on the sides to stuff 4 kayaks in with it.

NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had a 24’ WP for a few years. It’s one of the structuraly strongest well built box type trailers out there without going custom. Bought it from a guy that hauled his classic cars.

The biggest complaint with them including myself, is the axles sit too far forward. Was not the best towing empty and any weight in the rear was horrible.

This was on my early-mid 2000 model year. I am sure they have been corrected.

Sold it a few years ago and and bout a 44ft. If not for the axle placement I would have kept it.

advertisement
T

tether

Oct 9, 2019
New mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a 24’ WP for a few years. It’s one of the structuraly strongest well built box type trailers out there without going custom. Bought it from a guy that hauled his classic cars.

The biggest complaint with them including myself, is the axles sit too far forward. Was not the best towing empty and any weight in the rear was horrible.

This was on my early-mid 2000 model year. I am sure they have been corrected.

Sold it a few years ago and and bout a 44ft. If not for the axle placement I would have kept it.

I had the very same issue with the current Fuzion I have.
That thing was all over the road empty or loaded; in-fact it was horrible, I almost burnt & left it on the side of the road on one trip.
After much research and several hitches later I've found one that works, it eliminated 98% of the sway and I have to be going quite fast at that for it to be an issue now. I don't understand the science behind it as I'm sure it took away even more tongue weight but it works.

So with the right hitch you can make anything work :)

Reese 26002 Dual Cam High Performance Sway Control

Upload 2020 1 10 9 51 2

H

HondaFan

Lifetime Member
May 21, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2015 Shockwave 25’ toy hauler. My P1K5 fits in the back with no problem. The trailer tows very well with and without the SxS in the back. Great trailer that is small enough to fit in most campgrounds.

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have a Stryker 2916 with an open garage. First thought I wanted a separate garage but seeing this unit changed my mind. Can hold a 4 seater and really open space once machine is unloaded.

IMG 2621
IMG 2632
IMG 20190614 170003306
IMG 20190912 175304404
IMG 2639

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!