P500 Yee Haw!!!

S

Sledge

Picked up my new P500 yesterday. Nearly 500 miles round trip on country roads, so I was plumb wore out when I got home.

Hate to disappoint, but I didn't jump it off the truck. :)

Rode for 1.5 hours this morning in my pasture. Big fun! I have lots of challenging terrain and obstacles to learn on in 10 acres.

Getting to where I shift reflexively will take time, but I'll get there, and wouldn't trade for an automatic transmission if I could. Once it's ingrained, I see the gear-control as a plus. And fun.

Two "mods" so far:

First, I lowered the nets by unclipping the top and tucking them inside. Don't think I'll remove them, as they're completely out of the way now, and I might find myself in a situation where I'd want to put them up--say a really scary sidehill situation I got into accidentally, or carrying a child as passenger.

The other one was priceless. I learned of it here, and it took all of 5 minutes. I adjusted that stupid reverse lever out of functionality.

It even says in the manual that it won't shift into reverse unless stopped. What is that thing for??!!

You think it's annoying with 2 hands, try it with one! Many thanks to the man who figured that simple mod out.

I never would have.

And thanks to all who patiently answered my questions this last month. It took me awhile to decide, but I'm very happy with my new ride.

Joe

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Picked up my new P500 yesterday. Nearly 500 miles round trip on country roads, so I was plumb wore out when I got home.

Hate to disappoint, but I didn't jump it off the truck. :)

Rode for 1.5 hours this morning in my pasture. Big fun! I have lots of challenging terrain and obstacles to learn on in 10 acres.

Getting to where I shift reflexively will take time, but I'll get there, and wouldn't trade for an automatic transmission if I could. Once it's ingrained, I see the gear-control as a plus. And fun.

Two "mods" so far:

First, I lowered the nets by unclipping the top and tucking them inside. Don't think I'll remove them, as they're completely out of the way now, and I might find myself in a situation where I'd want to put them up--say a really scary sidehill situation I got into accidentally, or carrying a child as passenger.

The other one was priceless. I learned of it here, and it took all of 5 minutes. I adjusted that stupid reverse lever out of functionality.

It even says in the manual that it won't shift into reverse unless stopped. What is that thing for??!!

You think it's annoying with 2 hands, try it with one! Many thanks to the man who figured that simple mod out.

I never would have.

And thanks to all who patiently answered my questions this last month. It took me awhile to decide, but I'm very happy with my new ride.

Joe

It's about time!! Where are the pictures?????

Reactions: Sledge
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Love it Joe!

C

Chooglin

Congrats........you are going to have a blast with this little machine.....I just love mine !!!

S

Sledge

It's about time!! Where are the pictures?????
Heck, ehart, it just looks like a blue P500!

Anyway, here's a pick of what I did with the nets. I tightened up the bottom straps, and to me it looks ok (kinda racecar cool, actually) this way, might keep me in in an unbelted wreck, and they're still handy if I need them.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
enjoy @Sledge, I'm glad to hear better judgement took over when it came time to unload it from your truck, that probably wouldn't have ended well.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
By the way Joe, I thought about when you said you tightened up the bottom straps on the door. Be careful you don't tighten them up too much. I had mine tightened up a bit, and it put the door in a bind when closing. I would think if it was left like that, over time it could damage the door hinges or the mounting points for the hinges. You might be just fine, but I thought I would mention that.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 14230 View attachment 14230

Anyway, here's a pick of what I did with the nets. I tightened up the bottom straps, and to me it looks ok (kinda racecar cool, actually) this way, might keep me in in an unbelted wreck, and they're still handy if I need them.
That's what I have done to my nets but I use the little key ring carabiners to hold the net rings to the door so it takes only a couple of seconds to put the net up if necessary.

Last edited:
advertisement
S

Sledge

What is the reverse mod?
Oh man, you're gonna love this!

All you do is get under the hood with a 10mm open-end wrench and adjust the reverse lever cable, via the 2 locknuts, all the forward.

You never have to mess with it again.

If you are shy about disabling "safety" devices, the owner's manual clearly states that it won't go into reverse unless stopped.

So then why make me pull and hold a lever?

Joe

S

Sledge

All you do is get under the hood with a 10mm open-end wrench and adjust the reverse lever cable, via the 2 locknuts, all the forward.

If you are shy about disabling "safety" devices, the owner's manual clearly states that it won't go into reverse unless stopped.

Joe
Yeah, I noticed that, ehart. Thanks.

Good idea, Alan. I happen to have a couple of those mini-biners handy.

Got about 6 hours on the gal here in the pasture now. Shifting is coming along way faster than I had expected.

Didn't pull the wrong paddle once this morning.

What fun!

Joe

Reactions: ehart814
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, I noticed that, ehart. Thanks.

Good idea, Alan. I happen to have a couple of those mini-biners handy.

Got about 6 hours on the gal here in the pasture now. Shifting is coming along way faster than I had expected.

Didn't pull the wrong paddle once this morning.

What fun!

Joe
Well Joe, that not pulling the wrong paddle is in your future I guarantee it. The saying goes, "I never pulled the wrong paddle" said no one ever.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Joe
All the way forward? Is this loosening or tightening the cable? Does this physically lift the handle on the other side? I'm in another state right now so I can't go look at it. I'll be doing this this weekend.

S

Sledge

All the way forward? Is this loosening or tightening the cable? Does this physically lift the handle on the other side? I'm in another state right now so I can't go look at it. I'll be doing this this weekend.
Actually, you are adjusting the cable housing, not the cable.

Loosen rear nut. Spin it to near end of threads. Tighten front against stop.

What you've done is take up the same amount of cable as pulling lever does.

Lever is still under tension, and has some travel left, so no stress on it.

Takes as long to describe as to do.

Or undo. No permanent changes.

When done, start up and downshift. It will go from N to R without touching lever.

Joe

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

When done, start up and downshift. It will go from N to R without touching lever.

Joe
Sounds easy enough. Will make the plowing experience much more enjoyable. Thanks Joe.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Joe
See Joe, I told you you'd be teaching soon!

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 14230 View attachment 14230

Need some DIRT ON IT........

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!