P1000 Yet another wheel and tire thread.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
So, believe it or not, I'm still on the fence about going Deluxe. One big reason is the tires. As I've mentioned before this will be a ranch bike in coastal California. unfortunately not tremendously rainy, which means not much water or mud. But some blacktop time between gates.

I want a tough tire. I want an especially roadworthy tire because of the road/pavement travel. The rest is dirt and climbing, but I don't want my pants down when I'm crossing the ocaisional stream. Leaning towards a BFG AT/OR type. Radial, aggressive tread, that's wears well on the hard road and maintains aggressive tread.

Drawn to the MotoClaw but the 15" wheel size needed to hit 28" seems weird to me. Must add that this is to avoid Deluxe prices and be able to upgrade my wheels to exactly what I want.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The Katani Mongrels are DOT approved and would work well for the environment you describe, a great all around tire that doesn't excel in any one area. Also similar are the new STI Chicane also DOT approved but they are proud of them.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I love the title of this post!!

Reactions: Itsalljake
Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
The Katani Mongrels are DOT approved and would work well for the environment you describe, a great all around tire that doesn't excel in any one area. Also similar are the new STI Chicane also DOT approved but they are proud of them.

"Kanati" mongrels apparently. Good looking tire Jackal, thanks. I'm still hoping for a slightly deeper tread so it maintains bite after some street wear, but I like the aggressive sidewall tread. Guessing they come in 28"(+) 14" wheel sizes. Will investigate.

Reactions: pct
Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
I support any STI tire.
Can you recommend a 28" STI tire for my application? The Rocktanes don't exactly fit the bill. I also must admit they look like a softer tire that may not wear quite as long around pavement.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Holy crap, I think it's the Chicane. Thanks, again, again, again Jackal. Think I've read nearly every post on this site and your advice seems to be spot on every time. Pics when the build starts. Thank you gentlemen.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
I just so happened to be looking at their site. Are you getting tired of the Thank You's yet? Another question while you're on, how would you rate this tread, on incline, under load in dirt to gravel to soft soil. It's a very hilly ranch and I plan on building new trails in what will be my already very wide and heavy p1k5.

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I just so happened to be looking at their site. Are you getting tired of the Thank You's yet? Another question while you're on, how would you rate this tread, on incline, under load in dirt to gravel to soft soil. It's a very hilly ranch and I plan on building new trails in what will be my already very wide and heavy p1k5.
With the dry environment in southern CA you should have all the traction you need with the Chicane RX the split knob design really bites on dry hard pack surfaces, it fairs just ok in sand and just ok on muddy surfaces, same with snow. Doubt you will have much of the latter. It makes a great all around tire for dryer desert type terrain.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
With the dry environment in southern CA you should have all the traction you need with the Chicane RX the split knob design really bites on dry hard pack surfaces, it fairs just ok in sand and just ok on muddy surfaces, same with snow. Doubt you will have much of the latter. It makes a great all around tire for dryer desert type terrain.
Excellent. I'll always have the steel stockers to adapt for different weather. Had a blast busting streams and dodging tree limbs this weekend in my in-laws Ranger. In the rain with no windshield (yes, rain inSoCal) while visiting the wild Mustangs. Can't wait to get a Honda and get back out there. Plotting my purchase, pretty sure I've got a somewhat trustworthy salesman. Yes, i just said that.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
That's why I think I will go with the Moto claws for those just in case moments.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!