P700 2017 pioneer 700-4 dies after 20 minutes

B

Billk

Sep 4, 2018
Pierce, Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 700 dies after riding for about 20 to 30 minutes. I've replaced the spark plug, fuel pump, fuel injector and ecm. I cleaned the throttle body. I contacted the dealership and they suggested adjusting the valves, which I had them do. They thought that would fix the problem, no luck. It runs fine, then just dies, after 20 minutes or so it will start back up and run for about 20 more minutes. Any ideas?

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Have you checked the fuel filter and fuel system vents?

Reactions: Remington
B

Billk

Sep 4, 2018
Pierce, Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
From what I understand, the fuel filter is locted on the fuel,pump, I installed a new oem pump and it didn't work

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
If it funs fine and dies, I would think you have a filter issue or a vent or fuel cap not venting. Can't think it would be electrical considering how it is behaving over and over. I' have seen the little vent hole in a fuel cap cause this. If this doesn't fix it, find the timer that keeps shutting it off and reset it? Have you taken the tank off and cleaned it?

Reactions: futzin
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My 700 dies after riding for about 20 to 30 minutes. I've replaced the spark plug, fuel pump, fuel injector and ecm. I cleaned the throttle body. I contacted the dealership and they suggested adjusting the valves, which I had them do. They thought that would fix the problem, no luck. It runs fine, then just dies, after 20 minutes or so it will start back up and run for about 20 more minutes. Any ideas?
Any codes on the dash when this happens?
Any pics of the rig? POIDH
How many miles

B

Billk

Sep 4, 2018
Pierce, Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
How many miles
Nothing on the dash, no check engine light, nothing. It has 12000 mile on it. I change the oil every 600 miles with new oil filter, clean air filter. I've talked to the service department where I bought if and they seem stumped as well. They told me to run it till it dies. Pull the ecm and put it in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes then put it back on and see if it starts, I did and it did, put in a new ecm and no luck

• Wow
Reactions: Remington
B

Billk

Sep 4, 2018
Pierce, Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
If it funs fine and dies, I would think you have a filter issue or a vent or fuel cap not venting. Can't think it would be electrical considering how it is behaving over and over. I' have seen the little vent hole in a fuel cap cause this. If this doesn't fix it, find the timer that keeps shutting it off and reset it? Have you taken the tank off and cleaned it?
When I installed the new fuel pump, everything looked good. The vent hose was clean, no obstructions, tank looked clean. I was thinking maybe someone put a rag in there to mess with me, but I didn't see anything

B

Billk

Sep 4, 2018
Pierce, Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
How many miles

20231109 133828 20231109 133809 20231109 133746

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Pull the ecm and put it in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes then put it back on and see if it starts,
Never heard of that before? Sounds like there fishin

Does it start rough or smooth?
And when you drive it is it smooth before it dies?
Also stupid question I know but we had this same issue with another P7 and it was this. Do u have a fresh air filter in?

B

Billk

Sep 4, 2018
Pierce, Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Never heard of that before? Sounds like there fishin

Does it start rough or smooth?
And when you drive it is it smooth before it dies?
Also stupid question I know but we had this same issue with another P7 and it was this. Do u have a fresh air filter in?
It starts up fine runs smooth until it dies, then it takes about 20 to 30 minutes to re start. I have 4 different air filters and change them out about every 300 miles, clean and oiled

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Check all grounds and make sure the temp under the seat isn't getting too hot.
Good idea above about the ECU. I have done that before on older jeeps with the Ford ign module.

Reactions: Remington and Billk
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Pop it in neutral immediately before it fully dies. If it stays running then that gives you a path to follow. (Not fuel related).

Reactions: Jerryg
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Found the problem, a failing stator, replaced and runs again
Wow! Good job on the find.
Do u have too many accessories hooked up directly to the main battery?

Reactions: GovtMule

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!