Calendar **2019** Taylor Lake Colorado Group Ride [Sep 6, 2019] (CO)

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just got back to OKC tonite.... and haven’t had WiFi to keep up.....
It is a shame that about the only place to test some off these overheating issues mean another trip to Colorado.....
I will order the switch and am planning on draining my system since I probably am only running about twenty percent antifreeze I added so much water.....
We did the Timcup/Hancock loop from St Elmo side and had no heating problems...... it is only on the long drags like Antero and Princeton that it shows up....I am running stock everything and do agree that power requires a little momentum to get over things at altitudes.....doesn’t have a clutch so you can rev up and then get power.... I don’t worry about that as much as the overheating..... some of those climbs really can’t be done low and slow....
I don’t think it is a fan problem.... it just is too marginal a system to keep cooling when in a strain......
Amazing how quickly just a squirt of water brings it down....
I think my windshield washer idea may still be the best fix if Honda doesn’t have one......
It never was over sixty degrees this week and a lot of the time on Antero was low fifties and blowing hard....
It certainly takes the fun out when you are constantly having to stop and spray .... if everyone has P1K then it is okay.... we can do it together..... but when the wolvies and a Jon Deere gator are stopping to wait it is a little embarrassing....

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need the fan mod override with a switch. You can get it from the Hondasxs store. Also that smell is coming from your degas bottle from the overflow tube.
Thanks ..... I didn’t know where the overflow tube commenced...... gonna check it all out tomorrow....
I do think it is way more than a fan switch problem.....
I am still gonna check out the radiator cap and see if one with I a little higher pressure can be obtained or if mine is faulty....
Great to meet you and look forward to next time.....

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
I was behind Bill and Gayla going up flag mountain creeping along in there P5 and I had very little air across my radiator besides the fan, I stopped immediately when I I hit 4 bars, no light, for a minute, back down to 2 bars. Need to look at the P5 fan and shroud system, think Honda has that figured out on the P5's.
Sounds like a design flaw in the 1000. I never got over 2 bars and We where putting a lot of strain on the
little 500.

Reactions: trigger and tr005
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just got back to OKC tonite.... and haven’t had WiFi to keep up.....
It is a shame that about the only place to test some off these overheating issues mean another trip to Colorado.....
I will order the switch and am planning on draining my system since I probably am only running about twenty percent antifreeze I added so much water.....
We did the Timcup/Hancock loop from St Elmo side and had no heating problems...... it is only on the long drags like Antero and Princeton that it shows up....I am running stock everything and do agree that power requires a little momentum to get over things at altitudes.....doesn’t have a clutch so you can rev up and then get power.... I don’t worry about that as much as the overheating..... some of those climbs really can’t be done low and slow....
I don’t think it is a fan problem.... it just is too marginal a system to keep cooling when in a strain......
Amazing how quickly just a squirt of water brings it down....
I think my windshield washer idea may still be the best fix if Honda doesn’t have one......
It never was over sixty degrees this week and a lot of the time on Antero was low fifties and blowing hard....
It certainly takes the fun out when you are constantly having to stop and spray .... if everyone has P1K then it is okay.... we can do it together..... but when the wolvies and a Jon Deere gator are stopping to wait it is a little embarrassing....
It’s an LE thing.......:D

Reactions: Pilgrim
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sounds like a design flaw in the 1000. I never got over 2 bars and We where putting a lot of strain on the
little 500.
P5 is golden. Most all the tech on it has been in service for a few decades. Mountain goats they are. Wanna buy my 2018 P1K-5....;)

Reactions: JTW and Pilgrim
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks ..... I didn’t know where the overflow tube commenced...... gonna check it all out tomorrow....
I do think it is way more than a fan switch problem.....
I am still gonna check out the radiator cap and see if one with I a little higher pressure can be obtained or if mine is faulty....
Great to meet you and look forward to next time.....
Likewise on meeting you as well.
A different cap with a different pressure rating will help but might not be the end all to end all! Let us know what you get and pet number and how it works out!

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
When I get time, I'll take my radiator out and see what it will take to do a custom shroud and fan setup. The radiator size doesnt seem bad but the gaps in the fan shroud is a major problem for staying cool but helps when washing the radiator out. I've got an aluminum tig guy at work that could knock out a bunch of shrouds or even radiators if needed. Would be nice to have a lower slide out of the shroud for cleaning that could be sealed back up.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
When I get time, I'll take my radiator out and see what it will take to do a custom shroud and fan setup. The radiator size doesnt seem bad but the gaps in the fan shroud is a major problem for staying cool but helps when washing the radiator out. I've got an aluminum tig guy at work that could knock out a bunch of shrouds or even radiators if needed. Would be nice to have a lower slide out of the shroud for cleaning that could be sealed back up.
Kilo’s got a custom radiator and shroud on the way. Should be cool to see how that works out.....:cool:

advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Not good when u can see the whole rear of the radiator through the shroud. The fan pulls air through there instead of the radiator. Path of least resistance.

Resized 20190913 230500

J

JTW

I’m in!!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was behind Bill and Gayla going up flag mountain creeping along in there P5 and I had very little air across my radiator besides the fan, I stopped immediately when I I hit 4 bars, no light, for a minute, back down to 2 bars. Need to look at the P5 fan and shroud system, think Honda has that figured out on the P5's.
Gawd, you guys and your big boy rides, no power at high altitude. Get a P5, we don't have any power to start with but our low gears make up for it, and knock on wood but I have never had an over heating problem, maybe because I can't get close enough to someone in front of me to restrict my air flow.
HA! I think you have plenty of air flow! HA!

Reactions: BWAF and Pilgrim
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!