P1000 Battery Replacement Questions & 2nd Battery Selection.

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I've had my Pioneer for a few weeks now and we've had a few fun trips on it.

When starting, I can tell the factory battery is tired; and after 4 years I'm fairly surprised that it's still working. My buddies factory battery died after 3 years. My plan is to replace the primary battery and add a secondary battery (and I would really like for both batteries to be the same brand).

Accessories I'll be running off secondary:
-50w 2-way Radio
-30" RIGID RDS Bar
-single generic LED light for backup light
-harbor freight 3500# winch (came with the SxS and I don't have the heart to remove it, yet. May upgrade in the future - the duty cycle sucks on it)

Plan is to run a ~50a 12v relay triggered off of the 12v power port on the dash to control the on/off accessory power from the second battery. That way I can't accidentally leave an accessory on while the SxS is turned off.

Primary use of the SxS is going to be for hunting, dirt/rocky terrain. There's not enough water out here to worry about mud or even water crossings. Secondary use is to take the family out during the day for 2-6 hours at a time to explore.

I already have the isolator, wire, terminals, and a heavy duty crimper from building a battery array for our travel trailer. I have a few blue sea fuse blocks laying around as well from other projects.

I've always been a fan of quality batteries, but damn those Oddesy batteries are expensive. I paid about $300 to put 2 Interstate AGM batteries in my truck a few months ago, it feels weird spending that much if not more to put 2 batteries in the Honda.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Interstate DCM0035 AGM for the secondary battery, just haven't found the factory equivalent for the primary with Interstate - their search tool appears to be broken.

Curious what those with more experience in this area have to say... if I'm heading down the wrong path or ????

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know you want the same battery but here is my take, no need, now I’m new to the pioneer group but what I’d do is get an Odyssey extreme for your main battery and the mighty max for the secondary, if you still want the same then go Odyssey for both.

SwampFox112

SwampFox112

Nov 19, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Will this battery work for the primary side?
I already have it in the secondary hole.

20201215 203845

Reactions: Biteme
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I've had my Pioneer for a few weeks now and we've had a few fun trips on it.

When starting, I can tell the factory battery is tired; and after 4 years I'm fairly surprised that it's still working. My buddies factory battery died after 3 years. My plan is to replace the primary battery and add a secondary battery (and I would really like for both batteries to be the same brand).

Accessories I'll be running off secondary:
-50w 2-way Radio
-30" RIGID RDS Bar
-single generic LED light for backup light
-harbor freight 3500# winch (came with the SxS and I don't have the heart to remove it, yet. May upgrade in the future - the duty cycle sucks on it)

Plan is to run a ~50a 12v relay triggered off of the 12v power port on the dash to control the on/off accessory power from the second battery. That way I can't accidentally leave an accessory on while the SxS is turned off.

Primary use of the SxS is going to be for hunting, dirt/rocky terrain. There's not enough water out here to worry about mud or even water crossings. Secondary use is to take the family out during the day for 2-6 hours at a time to explore.

I already have the isolator, wire, terminals, and a heavy duty crimper from building a battery array for our travel trailer. I have a few blue sea fuse blocks laying around as well from other projects.

I've always been a fan of quality batteries, but damn those Oddesy batteries are expensive. I paid about $300 to put 2 Interstate AGM batteries in my truck a few months ago, it feels weird spending that much if not more to put 2 batteries in the Honda.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Interstate DCM0035 AGM for the secondary battery, just haven't found the factory equivalent for the primary with Interstate - their search tool appears to be broken.

Curious what those with more experience in this area have to say... if I'm heading down the wrong path or ????
You need a good starting battery and a deep cycle high reserve battery in my opinion. You can find deep cycles that are rated for starting as well.

Reactions: Biteme
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This question wasn't answered. Anyone know?
Prob cuz ole swampfox hasn't been on the forum since 21’ 🤷🏻‍♂️

Soooo thats battery will work. I had one.

S

samson7x

Dec 4, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Prob cuz ole swampfox hasn't been on the forum since 21’ 🤷🏻‍♂️

Soooo thats battery will work. I had one.

I'm aware. Rather than start a new thread on such a simple question, I figured this would be the most judicious way to have my question answered.

The battery will work in the spare location, however according to another member it will not work in the primary battery location.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The battery will work in the spare location, however according to another member it will not work in the primary battery location.
Yes, only in the secondary location

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This question wasn't answered. Anyone know?
It's rated Cold Cranking Amps (CCA - 330), so it'll work fine for the primary/starting battery.

The difference between a "starter battery and an ideal aux battery" is the starter battery will have thinner lead plates, and more of them. This allows it to deliver more current for a short period, (30 seconds at 0 F degrees) to start the motor. The Aux battery ideally should be a deep discharge type. This will have thicker lead plates and less of them for the same space. While this will tend to limit the peak current delivered for a short period, it optimizes the battery to deliver current for a longer period of time.

Reactions: samson7x
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's rated Cold Cranking Amps (CCA - 330), so it'll work fine for the primary/starting battery.

The difference between a "starter battery and an ideal aux battery" is the starter battery will have thinner lead plates, and more of them. This allows it to deliver more current for a short period, (30 seconds at 0 F degrees) to start the motor. The Aux battery ideally should be a deep discharge type. This will have thicker lead plates and less of them for the same space. While this will tend to limit the peak current delivered for a short period, it optimizes the battery to deliver current for a longer period of time.
I'd add that thicker plates are less likely to warp under high loads, this can cause the shorting of two plates, doing permanent damage.

Reactions: samson7x
advertisement
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm aware. Rather than start a new thread on such a simple question, I figured this would be the most judicious way to have my question answered.

It will NOT fit.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It will NOT fit.
How u finger?
Thats the same one joey had for 6yrs as a secondary. It wont fit in the primary spot fo sho!

• Haha
Reactions: TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
How u finger?
Thats the same one joey had for 6yrs as a secondary. It wont fit in the primary spot fo sho!
He was asking if it fit in the primary spot. The answer is, it will NOT fit. Just like the other member( Hondasxs) told him in another thread.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
He was asking if it fit in the primary spot. The answer is, it will NOT fit. Just like the other member( Hondasxs) told him in another thread.
Your right there sorry.👍🏻 I somehow miss understood what you were telling him. I originally confirmed to him about what he said for the secondary location and thats when I got fuced up later in the thread. These people digging up old fossil threads🤯

Im gonna exit for a while. Have a good one Brad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
S

samson7x

Dec 4, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Yes, thank you.

Your right there sorry.👍🏻 I somehow miss understood what you were telling him. I originally confirmed to him about what he said for the secondary location and thats when I got fuced up later in the thread. These people digging up old fossil threads🤯

Im gonna exit for a while. Have a good one Brad.

Yeah, never asked about secondary location. Reading comprehension is difficult for some people. We won't hold it against you.

• Haha
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
TWSS

• Haha
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Reading comprehension is difficult for some people.
That is me. I was diagnosed as Dyslexic as a kid. (For real no $hit) its plagued me my whole life. Sometimes it gets in the way especially when life gets too busy as its has as of late that's when I need to slow down. I do a pretty dam good job at not letting it get me down I think.
Stepping away and regrouping life is the first step in success if dealing with the so called disability. Thanks for pointing it out tho. 👍🏻

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!