P700 Brake Gremlin 2021 700-4 Deluxe

W

Woundedtatonka

Mar 11, 2021
Dallas, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Follow up on a resolution!!!!! It turns out the rotors were so thin along with worn pads that the caliper cylinder was traveling past the pressure seal. Took over a month for new rotors to come in. We swapped the rotors and then compressed the caliper cylinder back into position. Added new brake pads and bled the system. This was easier than expected- maybe 10 minutes per side to swap the rotors out and add new pads. My guesstimate is that we had lost close to two full inches of travel due to the rotor thickness. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions my friends! NEOHIO got it right! Picture of old vs new rotor thickness.

53FB183D 0013 471D A51C F638CC52E676

Reactions: livefromthetree
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Follow up on a resolution!!!!! It turns out the rotors were so thin along with worn pads that the caliper cylinder was traveling past the pressure seal. Took over a month for new rotors to come in. We swapped the rotors and then compressed the caliper cylinder back into position. Added new brake pads and bled the system. This was easier than expected- maybe 10 minutes per side to swap the rotors out and add new pads. My guesstimate is that we had lost close to two full inches of travel due to the rotor thickness. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions my friends! NEOHIO got it right! Picture of old vs new rotor thickness.

View attachment 340040

Thats odd in only 2300 miles. I would think these rotors would take a while to wear down that far.
2300 does indeed appear to be a short service life.
Please check the condition of your rubber brake line on that side. Make sure it is not twisted.
It may be failing internally due to a manufacturing defect. Allowing the brakes to stay applied after releasing the pedal.
Has it ever pulled to one side on flat ground?

W

Woundedtatonka

Mar 11, 2021
Dallas, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sorry- above pic was right front (thin) vs left front. Attached is the new rotor vs the old right front.
2300 does indeed appear to be a short service life.
Please check the condition of your rubber brake line on that side. Make sure it is not twisted.
It may be failing internally due to a manufacturing defect. Allowing the brakes to stay applied after releasing the pedal.
Has it ever pulled to one side on flat ground?
Ironic you ask- when I mistakenly posted that 1st picture- it was the right vs left rotor. I took that picture because I thought it was bizarre that the right front was noticeably thinner than the left front. Both have the same service life. I’m not sure how to check for a twisted or malfunctioning brake line!?

CABF5CE4 0D7B 4F2C 8458 D9475CE02216
CABF5CE4 0D7B 4F2C 8458 D9475CE02216

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Holy meat slicer…..

if when changing brake pads, the caliper got flipped around and the brake hose is twisted, no fluid will get to that caliper and put all the braking force on the other caliper………this should be a visual inspection

if there is a bad hose, the hose will look fine but is what I call collapsed on the inside then the pressure is trapped in the caliper and putting constant pressure on the caliper piston, put both tires on and feel if there is a noticeable difference when spinning the tire

Lastly it could be a stuck piston for some reason, give the machine a good hard workout on the brakes and stop to feel the rims if one is noticeably hotter than the other….better yet if ya have a temp gun or just grab the calipers (be carefull), if anything is still hung up it will show up as heat.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!