P1000 Brand new but no tail lights

J

jzook3

Nov 24, 2021
Williamsport, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey first post here. Love the site. Purchase the high beam light bar and backup lights. Both work and look great. We bought the machine a few weeks ago and had OE roof, windshield and doors installed at the dealer.
I noticed a few days after I got it home that I have no tail lights. Break lights work and so do the headlights. I know I could take it back to the dealer but figured it’s something simple like a connector. Any ideas on where I should look? Overall we love the machine but not impressed with the quality checks to have a machine with no tail lights.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi,
Thats weird, Brake lights but no Tail lights you say.
Leads me to think it's a bent pin or something.

What year?
What Model? SE or LE?

There is a 6 pin connecter under the tailgate kinda centered. We need to take it apart and get a test light out and check to make sure the brown wire has power when the headlights are on. The brown wire is taillights.

Report back with what model so we can look at it more depending on what model.

Thanks.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
For NON SE and LE models.
We can check the connector in the next image.

For this "check" we can't just test the brown wire as before.
We have to check it PLUGGED IN.
Use a test light, one with a sharp point.
Turn on the headlights and check the brown wire for power.

If you don't have power here, then your switch is bad.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is a 4 pin black connector for the headlight switch.
Brown is taillights.
. Aa785b6609ec6e7af46d3fbb4f054009

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is a 2021 1000-5 deluxe. It has OE windshield roof 4 soft doors along with the high beam light bar and auto reverse lights

Reverse lights? As in white back-up lights?

My '21 SE came with rear red running and brake lights as one would expect . . . that's it on the hind end.

Reactions: Lady01
J

jzook3

Nov 24, 2021
Williamsport, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pics Or It Didnt Happen! 🥳

Welcome from the Home of the Loosing Leos!
Reverse lights? As in white back-up lights?

My '21 SE came with rear red running and brake lights as one would expect . . . that's it on the hind end.
Yes I bought the auto reverse / backup lights from HondaSXS. And I will check out the connectors posted for voltage / bent pins.
To clarify the taillights / rear red running lights do not work but the break lights do turn on when you press the breaks.

Reactions: Lady01
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes I bought the auto reverse / backup lights from HondaSXS. And I will check out the connectors posted for voltage / bent pins.
To clarify the taillights / rear red running lights do not work but the break lights do turn on when you press the breaks.
Are your headlights on?

Reactions: Lady01 and Hondasxs
advertisement
J

jzook3

Nov 24, 2021
Williamsport, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. Headlights are on but no tail lights. Checked both high and low beam. I’ll check voltages tomorrow when I have another set of hands
Got my son to help. 12v on both brown wires in the 6 pin connector under the tailgate with the headlights on. 0v with it off.
Is it possible both taillights are bad? Or is there another connector in the actual taillight?

J

jzook3

Nov 24, 2021
Williamsport, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I pulled the taillights and checked. Both had 12v on the taillight pin. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced both taillights under warranty. Odd that both were bad but must have been a bad batch from the factory. Thank you guys for all of your help.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That’s weird but I’ve seen whole boxes of light bulbs burnt out when I was an electrician.

Lots of service calls to fix a light, that the owner tried a new bulb but was burnt out brand new and thought power was out to that fixture.

Glad it was easy to fix.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One relatively common way to get that type of failure is to wire the LED backwards, could be external or internal wiring or at the component level within the assembly. This typically doesn't damage the LED, it just won't function. Reverse the leads and it works (unless the assembly uses a LED driver rather than a simple current limiting resistor). In any case, strange the failure wasn't caught with a function check along the way and prior to delivery. On second thought, given some the dumb little mistakes I've found on my '21 SE, maybe not so surprising.

B

Buckeye1000

Nov 3, 2021
NW Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, use a test light to poke a hole in any wire. Anyone who does this themselves or tells someone else to do it should be kicked squarely in the jewels. That is the quickest way to cause a wire to corrode in two right at that tiny little pinhole & they can be hard as he77 to find.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!