P1000 Brand of Brake fluid

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do I need to use Honda DOT 4 brake fluid, or will most any major brand of DOT 4 fuid work?
Had problems today with brakes.
After riding them hard while going down a mountain trail, they stopped working. I mean, I would push pedal to the floor, with no resistance. (Was having other machine problems at the time, but the brake system should be totally independant from all other systems.)
But, later they came back to normal. Normal pedal pressure again.
Was reading in service manual that if this happened, to replace the fluid.
It has probably never been replaced. At ‘16 1000-5 model, I have had for 4 yrs.
I do not see any leaks, yet. Reservoir looks normal.
Thanks in advance.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All fluids have the capability of breaking down. Whether it be contamination or just age and degradation. There are test strips you can use for testing brake. fluid. Someone local to you like an oil change shop might give you one for free. Otherwise I see them on Amazon for $80 for 100 strips. They do have a cheap dual stick you can get

https://amazon.com/Phoenix-Systems-8006-B-Double-Ended-Coolant/dp/B0753MZT7P/?tag=sxsweb24-20

As far as brand goes that is just a giant can of worms. It's like asking who has the best oil. As long as you pick a brand rated correctly for the application you should be fine.

Personally I always use OEM fluids in all my toys.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Honda doesnt make their brake fluid themselves so any brand is ok.

I only get Honda because of the discount and most of my stuff takes so little fluid I'd be wasting a bunch buying the bigger bottles from other brands.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That seems quite odd to me for braking pressure to go away and come back due to fluid.

My first impression was that your pads washed out due to overheating.

This was my thought. But if you want to change the fluid it’s not going to hurt anything.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The theory, as I understand it, is that brake fluid can absorb moisture from the air. That’s why you always buy a fresh, sealed jug every time, and not use the brake fluid you’ve had on the shelf in your garage for six years.
I say theory, because I can’t confirm it from personal experience.
So let’s say brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air…
Brake use creates heat. Lots of brake use creates lots of heat. That heat can conduct from the rotor and pads to the caliper. If the brake fluid in the caliper gets hot enough, the small amount of water in the brake fluid can turn to steam. Steam is a gas, and gasses don’t work well in a hydraulic brake system. Brake pedal gets spongy, goes to the floor, etc.
Who knew bad brake fluid could ruin your seat cover?
Anyway, hot brakes=oh sh!t moment.
Then you get stopped, clean your drawers, tell your buddy you have a problem. Discussion ensues, beers are drank, and your buddy checks your brake pedal. “Hey dumbass, you got plenty of brakes”
Now that things have cooled the steam has become liquid again and works fine in a hydraulic system.
Obviously a more likely scenario with old, original fill brake fluid due to more absorbed water.
Lots of manufacturers have brake system flush on their maintenance schedule now.

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That makes since. But sure was not expected nor wanted, especially while going down a steep trail with transmission also acting up (Probably from engine overheating).
I will stay off steep trails until I can get fluid changed.

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That seems quite odd to me for braking pressure to go away and come back due to fluid.

My first impression was that your pads washed out due to overheating.
I overused my brake on the snowmobile in the steep and deep powder backcountry, the lever came to the bars with no pressure whatsoever. We covered the caliper in snow and the brake started working like nothing ever happened. I don't understand the mechanics of whatever happened but heat was the gremlin for sure.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I overused my brake on the snowmobile in the steep and deep powder backcountry, the lever came to the bars with no pressure whatsoever. We covered the caliper in snow and the brake started working like nothing ever happened. I don't understand the mechanics of whatever happened but heat was the gremlin for sure.
I been told the fluid boils on dirt bikes and creates air.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To the OP, topping up with another brand of brake fluid is acceptable, though best to use the same DOT number specified. Most are backwards compatible if the same type. DOT 5 is not backwards compatible with DOT 2, 3, & 4, but 5.1 is - go figure. Most brake fluids are hygroscopic (will absorb moisture from the air), so keep container tightly capped. Moisture in the brake fluid will boil much sooner than the fluid, the expanding steam can turn braking to nil.

C

ckeele223

Apr 2, 2019
St. George, Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
Dot4 brake fluid is Dot4 brake fluid no matter where you buy it, I would recommend changing you brake fluid if you have any doubt of its condition, buying a new bottle is a good idea rather than using some that has been opened for a while, brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it draws moisture from atmosphere.

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dot4 brake fluid is Dot4 brake fluid no matter where you buy it, I would recommend changing you brake fluid if you have any doubt of its condition, buying a new bottle is a good idea rather than using some that has been opened for a while, brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it draws moisture from atmosphere.
Thanks for keeping on topic.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Something I've done for 40 years on all my vehicles is every other oil change I suck all the brake and power steering fluid out of the reservoirs and dump fresh in. Brake fluids in particular are hydroscopic, i.e.. they absorb moisture, but it will equalize through the system. By adding doing this you are regularly lowering the moisture and contamination levels overall. It's one of the cheapest maintenance things you can do that over time will save you a bunch of money on ABS systems, power steering systems and brake calipers.

Reactions: Lady01 and Vikes79
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!