TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is anyone running factory rear wheels on the front (rear size on all four corners)

And what are the issues if so?
I use to run 28x10 blackwaters on all 4 corners, on factory wheels. At some point one of the rear wheels ended up on the front for a ride by mistake. Somewhere on that ride the rear wheel on the front, rubbed a small trench on the a-arm. You have to have a spacer to run the rear wheel on the front. One other time after I installed superatv a-arms with wheel spacers, I threw on 4 stock rear wheels and tires(27s) just for a test ride down the street. It drove like s*** with those 11 inch wide tires, with the rear 8 inch wide wheels on the front end.
So no, I wouldn't do it.

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thanks for the input. I'm assuming since so few have weighed in it's generally considered a bad idea or not easily done.

Had hope to score a second pair of rear wheels and mount them up front with spacers in the rear and call it good. Would save me a ton of money over a set of new wheels that match offset on all four corners.

At any rate:

It's mostly a farm vehicle and the slightly wider front tires/wheels are actually rather handy in muddy and soft earth (less 'plowing' in, and rides on top a bit better).

Thanks guys

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It's mostly a farm vehicle and the slightly wider front tires/wheels are actually rather handy in muddy and soft earth (less 'plowing' in, and rides on top a bit better).
Food for thought: If your muddy or soft earth has no bottom, then those wider tires will be a better choice (think: flotation). However, if the muddy or soft earth has a bottom, a taller, narrower tire can get through that slippery stuff and maintain contact with the ground beneath it. So, it's not always a question of IF there is muddy or softer earth, but how deep it goes. But, yes, generally speaking, the wider tire is better for most muddy situations.

EDIT: After further review, I've come to the conclusion that I may need to do additional research ... :eek:

Narrow tires won't "cut through" mud or soft earth. Instead, the difference is the WIDTH of the contact patch is narrower, so there is less rolling resistance when going through mud.

What I didn't realize was that the contact patch of a narrower tire is actually very close to the same as a wider tire because, while the contact patch of the narrow tire is not as wide, it is longer than the contact patch of a wider tire.

Here is a great video on the subject of wide vs narrow tires (or tyres). If you want the Cliff Notes version, start at 16:45.

In a nutshell:

Terramechanics is the study of soil properties, specifically the interaction of wheeled or tracked vehicles on various surfaces.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
interesting! thanks guys!
You could rotate rears to front, fronts to rear and give it a try. That will let you know right quick if it's workable for you. You'll never notice the narrower track on the back for a test ride or two. Just don't be testing your tilt limits. :eek:

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
what about the Talon factory wheels? looks pretty easy.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!