P1000m5 Hate to Ask, but Question regarding Clutches

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I'm the guy that had the porous engine cast almost a year ago. Took a bit, but Honda replaced the entire machine. Family has put over 1000 miles on the machine, she had her 1st service on schedule and is due for her second. All driving on flat terrain high gears, with zero issues.

Took the machine out on my property, which has a decent hill but not a foothill or mountain by any means. Was checking my trap line and we have a bit of snow now. She acting like it was trying to grab at the ground in sporadic movements. Did it in 4wd high, 4wd low, manual, auto, and with/ without diff. lock.

Once cleared of the snow, she shifted fine, like normal. No smell of burning. Is this what is referred to as shudder/ judder? Just curious if I'm creating an issue here. Clutches were a hot topic for a while, just don't know if they still are. Been gone to work for a while, so haven't checked on the forum until the past few days.

Would like to add a plow, but nervous if this is in fact the shudder everyone was referring to in the other forums regarding clutches. Last 4 of my Vin in the high 2k's. Any help, as always, is well appreciated!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
It sounds to me you were just experiencing wheel spin in the snow not anything related to the driveline. This would be the opposite of what can heat up a clutch, such as trying to spin tires with a lot of traction as in rocks in steep hill or in deep thick mud.

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So, I'm the guy that had the porous engine cast almost a year ago. Took a bit, but Honda replaced the entire machine. Family has put over 1000 miles on the machine, she had her 1st service on schedule and is due for her second. All driving on flat terrain high gears, with zero issues.

Took the machine out on my property, which has a decent hill but not a foothill or mountain by any means. Was checking my trap line and we have a bit of snow now. She acting like it was trying to grab at the ground in sporadic movements. Did it in 4wd high, 4wd low, manual, auto, and with/ without diff. lock.

Once cleared of the snow, she shifted fine, like normal. No smell of burning. Is this what is referred to as shudder/ judder? Just curious if I'm creating an issue here. Clutches were a hot topic for a while, just don't know if they still are. Been gone to work for a while, so haven't checked on the forum until the past few days.

Would like to add a plow, but nervous if this is in fact the shudder everyone was referring to in the other forums regarding clutches. Last 4 of my Vin in the high 2k's. Any help, as always, is well appreciated!
I was wondering the same thing. mine does it as well. when we had about 18 inches or so of snow my pk13 would chatter so much it was crazy. Like you said it didn't matter if in 4wd, 4wd lock, hi or low range. even if you hammer down for more wheel speed it doesn't seem to help. not sure if anything is faulty in driveline or just the nature of the beast.

Reactions: cruddy0815
cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a relief to here. She's been running so well, but after my 1st incident, I was getting nervous, lol. That makes total sense to me but wanted to make sure from the guys that really put them to the test. First trip out on the lake tomorrow for ice fishing. Didn't want to go if I had a problem. But now we are loaded up and ready to rock! Just wish they made a towable cover to keep the salt off of it. Had to modify a tarp, but it's not like I'll be doing 90 mph to the lake!

pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a relief to here. She's been running so well, but after my 1st incident, I was getting nervous, lol. That makes total sense to me but wanted to make sure from the guys that really put them to the test. First trip out on the lake tomorrow for ice fishing. Didn't want to go if I had a problem. But now we are loaded up and ready to rock! Just wish they made a towable cover to keep the salt off of it. Had to modify a tarp, but it's not like I'll be doing 90 mph to the lake! View attachment 31058
Honda makes a towable cover for the p1k5. Just received mine from the dealer. It was about $220.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a relief to here. She's been running so well, but after my 1st incident, I was getting nervous, lol. That makes total sense to me but wanted to make sure from the guys that really put them to the test. First trip out on the lake tomorrow for ice fishing. Didn't want to go if I had a problem. But now we are loaded up and ready to rock! Just wish they made a towable cover to keep the salt off of it. Had to modify a tarp, but it's not like I'll be doing 90 mph to the lake! View attachment 31058
I bought a cover also. Works great!

Nic

Nic

Dec 9, 2016
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine chatters to in the snow. I think what it actually is is wheel hop, kinda like a leaf sprung car trying to do a burnout. Not sure why ours do it, but its he only thing I could come up with.

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine chatters to in the snow. I think what it actually is is wheel hop, kinda like a leaf sprung car trying to do a burnout. Not sure why ours do it, but its he only thing I could come up with.

That's a perfect description. The thing is, I can even feel mine do it at very slow speed and wheels slowly turning. Can actually feel the driveline chatter a bit. Idk. I'll be having the clutches delt with before warranty runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: cruddy0815
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Here you go!

Towable Storage Cover

Reactions: pct
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Nice trailer!

advertisement
Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a perfect description. Writes why it does it tho. Must be the shocks. Machine is definitely heavy enough. Lol

I think it's the ice and snow built up in the wheel-getting out of balance.

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice trailer!
Thanks Smitty!! I got a great deal on this Load Trail 7,500 lb capacity. They come with a great warranty, Roadside service, brakes on both axles, powder coat finish, led lights, and more all for around 2,100 bucks. I went 16', but wish I would have went 18'. I wanted a trailer I could use for this Pioneer, but could also pull a smaller Mahindra 2540 4x4 tractor in a few years, which is next on my list. Trailer pulls great behind the 1/2 ton, but I don't even feel it behind the diesel. Can load the machine, jets led XL trailer, and still have room for my buddy's 4 wheeler.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
AK as I told PM earlier in the thread, much appreciate the info!! I've been looking for this and last time I checked I didn't see Honda made one, but I see they do and my order is being placed as we speak. Thanks a ton!!
No problem. You're welcome!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks Smitty!! I got a great deal on this Load Trail 7,500 lb capacity. They come with a great warranty, Roadside service, brakes on both axles, powder coat finish, led lights, and more all for around 2,100 bucks. I went 16', but wish I would have went 18'. I wanted a trailer I could use for this Pioneer, but could also pull a smaller Mahindra 2540 4x4 tractor in a few years, which is next on my list. Trailer pulls great behind the 1/2 ton, but I don't even feel it behind the diesel. Can load the machine, jets led XL trailer, and still have room for my buddy's 4 wheeler.

All that for $2,100.? That's a steal my friend. Happy for ya!!

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the clutch issue, (or as I found lack there of), we've had alot of melt, but still have a fair amount of snow, and a ton of ice. Took the machine through the trails in back property today to retrieve some trail cams, and she did the same "grabbing" as she did in in the beginning. But this action only occurred when there was either deep snow or real slippery conditions with some type of hill. Being this is my first year in the snow with this machine, I didn't know what to expect. Definitely acted differently than my previous belt driven Polaris machines of my past. Now that I know what it's doing, I just hammered through it, with no smell of burning, and no lack of power ever taking place. It just seems to be grabbing at whatever traction it can get to keep moving. No issues, got back on dry ground and it's as responsive as ever. Only scared me a little after watching a couple youtube videos of guys working their machines in mud, and didn't see the same response as I was getting. Couldn't locate any videos of people in deep snow that was taken from outside the machine to show the wheels doing the same grabbing action. Only people in mud...and mud isn't snow, as we all know. Good to know it's acting as it should, and better than anything I've had in the past.

Other than jeeps, I've never spent this kind of money on a toy, so to say I'm like a panicked 1st time mother, is pretty accurate! Lol. Better to be over concerned and ready to correct an issue, than to let an issue get worse, costing more in repairs and time away in the shop! As always, appreciate everyone's input. On a good note....Haven't been stuck yet, or had to use the winch...it just keeps on grabbing and plowing ahead through the thick stuff to get me where I need to go. (And my towable cover will be here in 5 to 7 days! Ready for a long trip to explore more lakes to get the freezer stocked with perch, walleye, and trout!) Good riding to all!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
On the clutch issue, (or as I found lack there of), we've had alot of melt, but still have a fair amount of snow, and a ton of ice. Took the machine through the trails in back property today to retrieve some trail cams, and she did the same "grabbing" as she did in in the beginning. But this action only occurred when there was either deep snow or real slippery conditions with some type of hill. Being this is my first year in the snow with this machine, I didn't know what to expect. Definitely acted differently than my previous belt driven Polaris machines of my past. Now that I know what it's doing, I just hammered through it, with no smell of burning, and no lack of power ever taking place. It just seems to be grabbing at whatever traction it can get to keep moving. No issues, got back on dry ground and it's as responsive as ever. Only scared me a little after watching a couple youtube videos of guys working their machines in mud, and didn't see the same response as I was getting. Couldn't locate any videos of people in deep snow that was taken from outside the machine to show the wheels doing the same grabbing action. Only people in mud...and mud isn't snow, as we all know. Good to know it's acting as it should, and better than anything I've had in the past.

Other than jeeps, I've never spent this kind of money on a toy, so to say I'm like a panicked 1st time mother, is pretty accurate! Lol. Better to be over concerned and ready to correct an issue, than to let an issue get worse, costing more in repairs and time away in the shop! As always, appreciate everyone's input. On a good note....Haven't been stuck yet, or had to use the winch...it just keeps on grabbing and plowing ahead through the thick stuff to get me where I need to go. (And my towable cover will be here in 5 to 7 days! Ready for a long trip to explore more lakes to get the freezer stocked with perch, walleye, and trout!) Good riding to all!
Never been ice fishing, Ill bet its a hoot!

Reactions: Windrock1000
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!