P1000m5 Hate to Ask, but Question regarding Clutches

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never been ice fishing, Ill bet its a hoot!
Yeah Smitty, it's alot of fun, but can be work too. Our Pioneer makes life so much easier. Allowso for us to go where the fish are. Our local lake is 4 miles wide and 7 miles long, so we can pack up and try different spots if the fish aren't biting, just like one would in a boat during warmer weather fishing. And since we always have 3 to 5 people, sometimes more, it's nice to have the room for everyone to hop in, hook up the trailer and go in search of the big ones, lol!
20170116 115714
20170116 115606

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah Smitty, it's alot of fun, but can be work too. Our Pioneer makes life so much easier. Allowso for us to go where the fish are. Our local lake is 4 miles wide and 7 miles long, so we can pack up and try different spots if the fish aren't biting, just like one would in a boat during warmer weather fishing. And since we always have 3 to 5 people, sometimes more, it's nice to have the room for everyone to hop in, hook up the trailer and go in search of the big ones, lol!View attachment 31605 View attachment 31603
Ever lose your white Pioneer against the snow back drop? HA

Reactions: dotman1 and sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Do you have to be quiet walking not to spook the fish?
Used to go to Canada fishing for two weeks every summer, Id take my 20 foot 200HP bass boat. I sure got a lot of strange looks from the locals. One day a local asked me how I could fish out of it, later that day a squall blew in, water got real rough, so we battened down the hatches and hammer down. Passed running 50 MPH the guy that had asked me the question and had by boat secured at the dock and was fixing to go to the cabin when he pulls up. He said to me there wasn't any thing in the water but your lower unit, I said yep, thats how you fish out of them. HA

Reactions: cruddy0815
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Used to go to Canada fishing for two weeks every summer, Id take my 20 foot 200HP bass boat. I sure got a lot of strange looks from the locals. One day a local asked me how I could fish out of it, later that day a squall blew in, water got real rough, so we battened down the hatches and hammer down. Passed running 50 MPH the guy that had asked me the question and had by boat secured at the dock and was fixing to go to the cabin when he pulls up. He said to me there wasn't any thing in the water but your lower unit, I said yep, thats how you fish out of them. HA
I would love to go back and stay during the ice out till ice in. Been told the Lake Trout fishing is great during ice out.

Reactions: cruddy0815
cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ever lose your white Pioneer against the snow back drop? HA
Funny you should ask that. Immediately upon delivery our 15 year old daughter, (who I believer has put the most miles on so far), quickly announced that the name of the machine would be "Whiteout". So that's what it's known as around here, lol. Even the wife takes "Whiteout" to work on nice days, or to town to shop for groceries or stop at the farmers market. She came in the other day to tell me "Whiteout" was low on gas.....appropriate name for this time of year. But so far, haven't lost it in the snow, but do need to take caution on snowy days on the lake as you get snowmobiles flying across the lake at top speeds, and if conditions are bad, I'm sure it would be harder to see than the red one. I was hoping they would have offered the orange model in a deluxe, but wasn't waiting for more colors. As soon as I could get my hands on one, we jumped on it. Glad we did, Whiteout is a great addition to the family.

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would love to go back and stay during the ice out till ice in. Been told the Lake Trout fishing is great during ice out.
When in doubt....power out! No substitution for horsepower and/ or cubic inches. Which is why I love diesels....and our Whiteout! (In response to your story of fishing in Canada!). We fish year round, when there isn't anything to hunt, and we trap. Love all sorts of fishing. Really enjoy Lake Trout too. Our lake here is 150+ feet deep, and has a really healthy population of Lakers. We fish them on Tip Ups with smelt, or blue minnows. Ice is dangerous right now with all the warm weather we have had this past week, but more cold on the way, and we'll be heading back out the local lake hopefully next week....maybe sooner! Going to look at some other lakes in the area for smaller fish. Shallower waters with thicker ice, so we should be good to go.

Last edited:
cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have to be quiet walking not to spook the fish?
Walleye is the only fish that spooks easy. On days we know we will be out for a big part of it, we pop up the six man shanty that is in the sled I pull, throw in a couple buddy heaters, turn on the radio, sit in about 65 degrees and fish, shoot the bull, maybe have a couple barley pops, fire up the little gas grill and cook a few of our catches. Just spend the day there. Perch and other panfish is good for that. Walleye though, got to be quiet, at least in the areas we fish. They just don't like alot of noise. People say it's BS, that they can't hear what goes on above the ice, and that may be true, but we always do better on Walleye when we go into somewhat of a quieter mode. Boring though, so we don't do it that often....lol!

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Walleye is the only fish that spooks easy. On days we know we will be out for a big part of it, we pop up the six man shanty that is in the sled I pull, throw in a couple buddy heaters, turn on the radio, sit in about 65 degrees and fish, shoot the bull, maybe have a couple barley pops, fire up the little gas grill and cook a few of our catches. Just spend the day there. Perch and other panfish is good for that. Walleye though, got to be quiet, at least in the areas we fish. They just don't like alot of noise. People say it's BS, that they can't hear what goes on above the ice, and that may be true, but we always do better on Walleye when we go into somewhat of a quieter mode. Boring though, so we don't do it that often....lol!
I've never been around that much ice but that sounds fun. Just out of curiosity have you ever ran over a hole with your rig that another fisherman cut? Or does it freeze over quick? Or are y'all limited to the size hole you cut to be safe?

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never been around that much ice but that sounds fun. Just out of curiosity have you ever ran over a hole with your rig that another fisherman cut? Or does it freeze over quick? Or are y'all limited to the size hole you cut to be safe?

Hey Sharp! Well, anytime you are on the ice, you should always be on alert for large cracks, especially pressure cracks, other people on the ice, weather conditions, ice color, etc. As for putting your tire or ski in an old hole, most augers used to fish through the ice are 6 to 8" in diameter. There are some who use 10", but for majority of fishing here we usually see 6 to 8". The holes do freeze back over fairly fast, but even left open, the size of our tires on these Pioneers just roll right over those size holes.

An exception would be holes used for spearing, which can be several feet in length and a couple feet in width on average. That could do some serious damage. I have many years as a member with the dive team for our local sheriff department, and we would cut large triangular holes for access to the water large enough to get the diver in and out of water. If the spear fisherman use the same tactic that we on the dive team use, then you should be able to notice the hole as you approach it.

After we cut the ice out to access the water, and upon completion of our training or mission, we slide the ice chunk back into the hole, and mark the corners with tall stick and sometimes yellow tape. It doesn't take but a few hours and the large chunk has frozen to the surrounding ice leaving a nice flush sheet, and for the most part, unnoticeable.

However, many spear fisherman around here aren't so kind, so not only do you have a large hole that needs to freeze over and the ice is dangerously thin for possibly days, you also have the large chunk of ice which they pulled out and left on the ice that freezes to the lake so in effect, if struck, would be like hitting a large, and almost invisible, concrete block. We don't get alot of spear fisherman in my area as they usually go for a specific species. But nonetheless, one more thing to keep your head on a swivel for when out on the ice. Appreciate the question. Hope this helps!!

Reactions: sharp and AKRider
advertisement
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Sharp! Well, anytime you are on the ice, you should always be on alert for large cracks, especially pressure cracks, other people on the ice, weather conditions, ice color, etc. As for putting your tire or ski in an old hole, most augers used to fish through the ice are 6 to 8" in diameter. There are some who use 10", but for majority of fishing here we usually see 6 to 8". The holes do freeze back over fairly fast, but even left open, the size of our tires on these Pioneers just roll right over those size holes.

An exception would be holes used for spearing, which can be several feet in length and a couple feet in width on average. That could do some serious damage. I have many years as a member with the dive team for our local sheriff department, and we would cut large triangular holes for access to the water large enough to get the diver in and out of water. If the spear fisherman use the same tactic that we on the dive team use, then you should be able to notice the hole as you approach it.

After we cut the ice out to access the water, and upon completion of our training or mission, we slide the ice chunk back into the hole, and mark the corners with tall stick and sometimes yellow tape. It doesn't take but a few hours and the large chunk has frozen to the surrounding ice leaving a nice flush sheet, and for the most part, unnoticeable.

However, many spear fisherman around here aren't so kind, so not only do you have a large hole that needs to freeze over and the ice is dangerously thin for possibly days, you also have the large chunk of ice which they pulled out and left on the ice that freezes to the lake so in effect, if struck, would be like hitting a large, and almost invisible, concrete block. We don't get alot of spear fisherman in my area as they usually go for a specific species. But nonetheless, one more thing to keep your head on a swivel for when out on the ice. Appreciate the question. Hope this helps!!
Thanks! I learned something new today.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Last time I went to Canada it was a trip paid for one of my suppliers, guided w/ fly outs every day, we fished Walleye first till we got enough for shore lunch, first day out our indian guide took us to a Walleye hole, baited my hook and I dropped here in, had been several years since I'd been Walleye fishing, closed the bail and missed the first Walleye, guide said rock, the next time I had my index finger under the line w/ the bail open, caught a nice Walleye, the guide netted it and I looked at him and said rock, for the rest of the trip after every fish he netted I said rock. He/we had a great time.

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last time I went to Canada it was a trip paid for one of my suppliers, guided w/ fly outs every day, we fished Walleye first till we got enough for shore lunch, first day out our indian guide took us to a Walleye hole, baited my hook and I dropped here in, had been several years since I'd been Walleye fishing, closed the bail and missed the first Walleye, guide said rock, the next time I had my index finger under the line w/ the bail open, caught a nice Walleye, the guide netted it and I looked at him and said rock, for the rest of the trip after every fish he netted I said rock. He/we had a great time.
That's awesome Smitty!! Funny how a simple trip outdoors stays with us the rest of our lives. Can't get that time back so all we can do is get out and make more memories. I find this more true the older i get, and the older the kids get. #1 reason I purchased this machine....although I can get my kids and wife outdoors to hunt and fish with me, they only do it if I'm home and push them to get outside. Otherwise, they stay inside and make up reasons that they aren't getting out, (as they stare endlessly into their phones all day and night). But that hasn't happened since we made the purchase for "Whiteout". Now they are out even when I'm not around, which makes me feel better about dropping 19k. Smitty.....I'll be starting a new tradition next time I'm out fishing.....Rock!! Thanks for the story!

Reactions: sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!