P1000 I think my rear diff is bad

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Should be my dealer is getting them in the end of this week beginning of next week.
fixed yet, its been down for 2+ months and a lot of work, don't keep me (us?) in suspense....

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well got the machine back today. They weren't able to fully fix the issue. The rear locker with sometimes catch when turning left in turf mode. Not sure what to do about it. All splines on the axles are good no signs of disengagement during operation so it's not the axles moving around. In 2wd with the diff locked there is no issues so it will probably just live it's life in 2wd not a huge deal but was hoping turf mode would work. Everything else on the machine is up to snuff no issues anywhere else. They also suspect it has been roller before so maybe that's part of the issue too...? Idk runs well drives well feels solid so I can't complain too much I suppose.

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you try new cables?
No. However the cables move freely and have plenty of adjustment left in them. Also actuating the locker by hand(physically moving the lever actuated by the cable) yields no results.

Reactions: NewHere2
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
No. However the cables move freely and have plenty of adjustment left in them. Also actuating the locker by hand(physically moving the lever actuated by the cable) yields no results.
Been there. The cables could be binding on the inside. Should have tried that first.

Reactions: Backwoods
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Inside of what? I can watch the lever on the diff move with the lever on the dash?
The cable obviously is not in a straight line correct? It bends and curves it's way to the rear correct? Where the cable bends the plastic sheathing wears off the inner cable and the steel cable starts rusting. Seen it over a thousand times on other Honda equipment especially in the Honda gear drive (no belt) walk behind mowers. It would SOMETIMES prevent the rear diff gears from fully engaging causing wear on the engagement gear. Changing the cable would have been my first choice.

Actually buoying a Yamaha would have been my first choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Backwoods

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!