Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
In the past few months I have been having a problem. Occasionally after riding around for a bit when I let off the gas as I come to a stop the engine will start to idle low. Once I am stopped it idles very low (chug, chug, chug) and sometimes it dies. Other times it comes out of it and will idle normal again. When it dies, it starts back up fine and always runs good while on the throttle. If it doesn't die, it will run fine as I get going again but once I have to stop its the same thing again. Some days it won't do this at all and some days it does it a lot. Haven't noticed a relation between this problem and the driving conditions (heavy load, hot, cold,etc). I've got about 1200 miles on the machine. Any ideas on what the heck is going on? And how to fix it??

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you checked the spark arrestor screen? It may be clogged, some of the first production run models had an issue with the screen getting clogged, easy fix.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well I don't think that's it as I have a yoshimura exhaust on it, but maybe that one can clog up too? Ill have to check. Thanks for your input Ohanacreek.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Check the intake also. It sounds like something to do with air intake or exhaust. Something is choking the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
It could possibly be related to your gas. Poor quality fuel, not talking about octane but how much ethanol is in your fuel. I find when I can find Gas that has no Ethanol in it, my Pioneer runs much better and gets better gas mileage, and that goes for all my engines from cars to lawn mowers. I'm not a fan of Ethanol.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wanted to bring this up again as I still occasionally have this problem and I believe I've found what condition is causing it but still don't know the solution.

The machine ALWAYS does this after it sits and idles for a prolonged period. For example, I drive to my pig pen, park, put in neutral with engine still running, feed pigs (3-5 minutes maybe?) hop back in my idling pioneer, put it in D, then chug chug chug die. If I leave key on and try to start it rarely will. If I turn key off then try to start, fires up and runs perfectly.

@Hondasxs , does that still sound like IACV? I figure it's got to be something electronically controlled that is reset when the key goes off.

Any help is appreciated. This is annoying but i won't go to the dealer. I feel there are FAR more competent people here that can help me fix this.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
@Hondasxs , does that still sound like IACV? I figure it's got to be something electronically controlled that is reset when the key goes off.

I think you are right. It sounds like something controlling the idle. These things have an O2 sensor don't they? This sounds similar to an O2 sensor problem I had years ago. If that is the problem you could clean it and follow the instructions for replacing the battery (if there are any). The O2 sensor has to recalibrate after the battery has been disconnected on some vehicles.

I know where the idle adjustment is on all my 4 wheelers and I want to say turn the idle up. I guess that's old school now.

EDIT: A can of injector cleaner wouldn't hurt.

Reactions: Tflynn
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The IACV controls the idle. Normally if it gets dirty or goes bad it causes high or low idle. With my experience it has stayed at that run level hot or cold.

Now. With every key turn this IAVC does spin and "reset". I guess it could change.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I wanted to bring this up again as I still occasionally have this problem and I believe I've found what condition is causing it but still don't know the solution.

The machine ALWAYS does this after it sits and idles for a prolonged period. For example, I drive to my pig pen, park, put in neutral with engine still running, feed pigs (3-5 minutes maybe?) hop back in my idling pioneer, put it in D, then chug chug chug die. If I leave key on and try to start it rarely will. If I turn key off then try to start, fires up and runs perfectly.

Any help is appreciated. This is annoying but i won't go to the dealer. I feel there are FAR more competent people here that can help me fix this.
That website that hondasxs provided no longer works.
You might already have it but I found the service manual here.
http://gabe.dracula.seedboxes.cc/ga...700_Service_Manual_Repair_2014_Sxs700_Utv.pdf

It has troubleshooting guides.

Might want to check the electrical connections on the the IACV connector.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you all for your input. No O2 sensor on mine (2014) so that ain't it. Thanks for the link @ghost, I've checked out the service manual already with no luck. Looks like I'll just have to try replacing the IACV, seems to be the most likely fix. Or just don't let it sit and idle!

Any idea where I can get one? I tried looking on RMATV but couldn't find it, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Can't find my pictures.
We have had luck cleaning it. You can make sure it spins good when you flip key to ON. But don't crank it. Careful. It could spin off.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ok I will give it a shot. Assuming no O2 issues as you have stated, clean air filter, spark plugs, and high quality gas is used..... I am going to put my money on low fuel pressure due to a weak fuel pump. This would explain why it dies at idle and is fine under acceleration. Also the pump repressurizes the system when switch is turned off and then on. What do you think? If I'm right PM me and I will give you my address to send payment, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hondasxs and Tflynn
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Does it do it if you just apply throttle while in neutral without first shifting into drive or does it only do it if you first shift into drive and then apply throttle?

I don't know anything about it so I won't be able to help you on fixing it but I do root cause analysis for a living and the first thing I always do is try to eliminate as many variables as possible until I can get it to an on/off switch. Oft times when you use Occam's Razor you can find some really simple and sometimes completely out of left field reason for a failure that doesn't make sense when looked at in the whole but only when looked at in isolation.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does it do it if you just apply throttle while in neutral without first shifting into drive or does it only do it if you first shift into drive and then apply throttle?

I don't know anything about it so I won't be able to help you on fixing it but I do root cause analysis for a living and the first thing I always do is try to eliminate as many variables as possible until I can get it to an on/off switch. Oft times when you use Occam's Razor you can find some really simple and sometimes completely out of left field reason for a failure that doesn't make sense when looked at in the whole but only when looked at in isolation.
Hey I appreciate any input so thanks! It does it as soon as it goes into gear. If I leave it parked in drive, I can get in and go fine but whenever I come to a stop it will happen again. Maybe I need to post a video.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey I appreciate any input so thanks! It does it as soon as it goes into gear. If I leave it parked in drive, I can get in and go fine but whenever I come to a stop it will happen again. Maybe I need to post a video.

If I am understanding what you are saying correctly, it sounds like it is tied to the act of shifting.

So if you drive it, get it hot, stop, leave it in drive and apply the parking brake, leave it running, come back, release the brake, and accelerate with no ill effect?

If you do all the same stuff but switch it to park instead of using the parking brake, it will cut out?

If that is correct, what change in the system happens when the unit has park applied that doesn't happen when just the parking brake is applied?

That would be what I would be looking at.

Again, if I understood what you said.

That is about all the help I can be though, I don't have a 700 to experiment on and only rudimentary knowledge of its systems.

Hope that helps some anyway.

ETA: I just looked up a picture of the P700, it doesn't have a park. I just demonstrated my rudimentary knowledge. Doh. But maybe it will spark further inquiry so I won't delete my ignorance. :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!