P500 New p5 battery drain.

V

viking1983

Oct 27, 2022
Ownership

1. 500
Hello. I have had my P5 for 2 months and I have an on going battery drain. I found out this week that it has a GPS box attached to the battery for powersports protection. I have a free 12 month subscription. Could this be the reason by battery drains? Should I just unhook it?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yes and yes. Sounds like some sort of tracking device, did the dealer sell you on this? Stuff like that is a useless money maker for sh1tty dealers

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
unhook it should resolve it or keep it on a tender full time

do u have a wireless winch control by chance

V

viking1983

Oct 27, 2022
Ownership

1. 500
Ok thanks. I was never told it was attached. I got an email from powersports protection saying my battery was low and after digging into how and why the email I was told it's a 12 month free promotion then u pay. I will unhook.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
$13 a month eventually to drain your battery and tell you it’s low - great.

did dealer add this to machine and charge you for it?

V

viking1983

Oct 27, 2022
Ownership

1. 500
It was added but I was never told. I received a text from powersports protection telling me my battery voltage was11.6. I called dealer and found out I received a 12 month promotion and that the GPS box was attached to my battery. I removed it this morning.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
none of my business but my advice is to have insurance, don't leave keys in it, keep it locked up if ya can, sucks if someone steals it, but I cant imagine its more than $150 a year for insurance.....

a savvy thief will strap that gps box to a dog or another vehicle - lol........

Glank

Glank

Jul 20, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all, as far as battery drain, my battery has died several times over the winter. I did have this issue last winter, but I did install a second battery last spring and yes, that included an isolator. I can't figure out why the main battery is getting drained, besides lack of use which is my fault. I'm looking into a trickle charger, but wondering if anyone has recommendations on a solar trickle charger.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Need pics, may be asking for a friend

-need details, where stored, for how long between starts, accessories that may be a drain, modifications, how cold when stored ,etc…….

For solar - my hunch is any harbor freight or similar cheapo system will work

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hello all, as far as battery drain, my battery has died several times over the winter. I did have this issue last winter, but I did install a second battery last spring and yes, that included an isolator. I can't figure out why the main battery is getting drained, besides lack of use which is my fault. I'm looking into a trickle charger, but wondering if anyone has recommendations on a solar trickle charger.

You posted this in the P500 threads so a lot of the P1000 guys aren't going to see it. You're on the right track though, lack of use will do it especially in the cold. Don't know anything about a solar charger but I have a trickle charger on mine whenever it's not in use.

Glank

Glank

Jul 20, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You posted this in the P500 threads so a lot of the P1000 guys aren't going to see it. You're on the right track though, lack of use will do it especially in the cold. Don't know anything about a solar charger but I have a trickle charger on mine whenever it's not in use.
Thanks for letting me know I’m on the wrong thread. I guess my search wasn’t specific to P1K5. 🤣

OlYeller15

OlYeller15

Jan 30, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I have one I got from amazon. It works very good.

CE65C9CA 8808 4C23 84E6 BA0757469483

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I'm looking into a trickle charger, but wondering if anyone has recommendations on a solar trickle charger.
You live in Saline. We don't get sun here half the damn year.

I permanently installed this NOCO 2A direct mount onboard charger on the machine, and added the AC Port plug. That way, all you have to do is push a standard extension cord in it instead of dealing with removing hoods, clipping clips on terminals, etc.

Here is my install: P1000 - Scoop's 2021 P1K5 Deluxe Phantom Camo Build

Glank

Glank

Jul 20, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You live in Saline. We don't get sun here half the damn year.

I permanently installed this NOCO 2A direct mount onboard charger on the machine, and added the AC Port plug. That way, all you have to do is push a standard extension cord in it instead of dealing with removing hoods, clipping clips on terminals, etc.

Here is my install: P1000 - Scoop's 2021 P1K5 Deluxe Phantom Camo Build
Thanks. My buddy recommended the same trickle charger. I checked the battery In December and January and it was dead. So, the battery lasts less than a month. I have all accessories on the second battery. I was looking into this solar charger and I can mount it in a window next to the machine. I like your install.

8A9AF0B2 17F2 43CE 8923 018709E69C7F

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I checked the battery In December and January and it was dead. So, the battery lasts less than a month. I have all accessories on the second battery. I was looking into this solar charger and I can mount it in a window next to the machine. I like your install.
I can let mine sit for far longer than a month without being on the charger and it's fine. While a trickle charger or solar panel would keep the battery level up, it's only a Band-Aid on a bigger problem. You've either got an issue with the battery itself or something causing the drain. Could be shorted wire, could be a short inside of something, or even something being left on that you're not aware of.

Glank

Glank

Jul 20, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can let mine sit for far longer than a month without being on the charger and it's fine. While a trickle charger or solar panel would keep the battery level up, it's only a Band-Aid on a bigger problem. You've either got an issue with the battery itself or something causing the drain. Could be shorted wire, could be a short inside of something, or even something being left on that you're not aware of.
I need to get my dual volt meter installed so I can tell if the batteries are playing nice. I recharged the system again and plan to check both batteries with a volt meter periodically. Here’s a pic, maybe you can tell where the short is. 🤣🤣

4774D9C7 1B12 433E 8243 C8D8871FE866

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Both my buggies can sit for months, sometimes 4 or 5 months since we're buried in snow UP here, and never go dead. My P5 is going on 6 years old and is still on the original battery, I have had it on a charger exactly 0 times. A trickle charger isn't a bad idea but as Scoop said, you're not really fixing the problem.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Both my buggies can sit for months, sometimes 4 or 5 months since we're buried in snow UP here, and never go dead. My P5 is going on 6 years old and is still on the original battery, I have had it on a charger exactly 0 times. A trickle charger isn't a bad idea but as Scoop said, you're not really fixing the problem.
same here

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!