highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Picked this up yesterday for cheap as a little project bike, maybe a build like people say these days. 5000 miles.
It's a little rough but overall not too bad condition. It appears to have been maintained mechanically. Test drive revealed no excessive slack in steering or suspension.

It does smoke a lot so I may have to tear it down soon and drop in a new jug and piston kit. That's not very expensive though. I know nothing about this dealer trade in. Probably do an Amsoil flush on the engine first.

I mainly wanted this to run around the house and use as a work horse. I know we can fix everything.

IMG 2443

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
You're in. Welcome aboard. Great machine. Not over powered, but fun to drive, will do allot of jobs, great on gas, fast enough for the trails. There's lots of help and advice here on the site. Check out the store for model specific add ons that make the mods easy and save a ton of time.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Initial investigation of the P700 is that it needs a new top end. Oil looks dirty so that's the reason for the flush. Also, the air filter was missing the inner cage that I believe goes inside this OEM filter. Without that cage there is an open hole on the back of the air filter letting dirt straight in! The intake track was dirty. The exhaust is missing the middle donut gasket.

So the plan now is to overhall with a new top end kit, all Honda parts $600. New air filter of course and new exhaust gasket. I'll also give the throttle body and the intake boots an ultrasonic bath to clean it up. Probably will need to clean up the head surface and valves after burning a lot of oil and reseat the valves. Overall this seems pretty straight forward. The transmission shifted fine for the test drive.

I did this very same overhaul to my 2008 RZR 800 after it quit running due to low compression. Come to find out, one of the intake boots had a tear in it letting dirt in after the air filter. Polaris had revised parts so I ordered all new intake boots. I put on a new top end and that RZR ran great after that and for a long time.

Fingers crossed!

S

Swamper2fly

Oct 27, 2023
michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
Initial investigation of the P700 is that it needs a new top end. Oil looks dirty so that's the reason for the flush. Also, the air filter was missing the inner cage that I believe goes inside this OEM filter. Without that cage there is an open hole on the back of the air filter letting dirt straight in! The intake track was dirty. The exhaust is missing the middle donut gasket.

So the plan now is to overhall with a new top end kit, all Honda parts $600. New air filter of course and new exhaust gasket. I'll also give the throttle body and the intake boots an ultrasonic bath to clean it up. Probably will need to clean up the head surface and valves after burning a lot of oil and reseat the valves. Overall this seems pretty straight forward. The transmission shifted fine for the test drive.

I did this very same overhaul to my 2008 RZR 800 after it quit running due to low compression. Come to find out, one of the intake boots had a tear in it letting dirt in after the air filter. Polaris had revised parts so I ordered all new intake boots. I put on a new top end and that RZR ran great after that and for a long time.

Fingers crossed!
Keep us up date on the process.

Last edited:
KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Great project! Deep overhaul has its frustrations, but if you enjoy the wrenching those frustrations are minor.

Just worked a Honda Rancher 420 here. Two new front axles, starter, solenoid, grounds cleanup, valve checks, fluids, brakes, fluids, filters and it was good to go many more years. I like Honda engineering, their products are really serviceable.

Many folks don’t maintain their machines very well, hey it’s our gain. Enjoy your project!!!

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'll be interested to hear how it goes. My 2015 burns alot of oil, but no white smoke. I may need to do something similar.

Reactions: Buggyman and Farmer
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Great project! Deep overhaul has its frustrations, but if you enjoy the wrenching those frustrations are minor.

Just worked a Honda Rancher 420 here. Two new front axles, starter, solenoid, grounds cleanup, valve checks, fluids, brakes, fluids, filters and it was good to go many more years. I like Honda engineering, their products are really serviceable.

Many folks don’t maintain their machines very well, hey it’s our gain. Enjoy your project!!!
It usually takes a LOT of abuse to break a Honda! When I was a kid we abused our 3-wheelers. All I had was a 125M but I rode it like a 250R! I so wish those machines would have had odometers! After 3 overhauls, it must have had 100,000 miles!! That 125 would sit for 10 months and crank on the second pull of the rope!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Phuk u idiot
Well now! That aint no way to be!
You dont need to get all sore!
Must be a Big Gretch supporter? Only way you can be sore like that🥳

BTW everyone is asked to provide pics of there rig when they join. Its rule #4 and guess what?
I didnt start the rule!😜
Im just doing the peoples work.
Have a Blessed day fellow Michigander

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2

BTW everyone is asked to provide pics of there rig when they join. Its rule #4 and guess what?
I didnt start the rule!😜
His dog probably picks on him

S

Swamper2fly

Oct 27, 2023
michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2

I didnt start the rule!😜
I don't have to prove anything. Have a nice day.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Why you sore?
Dont get mad at me!
@Cuntryboy will be glad to help u with your issue.
There aint nothin to prove. We (key word) just like pics thats all. If u need help with how to post em just ask, we are glad to help.
If not thats fine too. Just a heads up thats all.
Ride on brother and keep it stiff!

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
BTW what Northern Mi trails do u ride?
Im in the Lewiston area. Id give u a beer if I came across u on trail. Many Mi fellas on here and ive ridden with quite a few of them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!