Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Noticed this weekend when on the road I have a “chatter” or rattle noise that seems to be coming from between the seats. Only happens when under load (going up a hill or stepping harder on the gas) and can only hear it when on the road. It stops when you let off the gas or when it’s changing gears. Worse at higher speeds. RPM doesn’t make a difference. Any thoughts? Pioneer didn’t do this that I recall.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
stupid question, but are your door nets still on? mine rattled like crazy. I know you said noise is coming from the tunnel, just a shot in the dark.

no nets. Mine did rattle too. This is definitely engine/ transmission/ clutch, driveline related.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Man... sorry dude, that sucks. Ive only got 10 miles on mine, not enough experience to help ya. I hope you still have a warranty. Good luck with it!

Reactions: Smitty335
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Have only had it about a month. If i was never on pavement im not sure i would notice it.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Have only had it about a month. If i was never on pavement im not sure i would notice it.
1500 miles here and I've had mine on pavement many times, everything from slow up to 65 MPH for miles, smooth as silk as far as I can tell but I only have a half windshield. No vibrations, rattles, chatter but those tires are NOISY on pavement.

I do have the occasional rattle on rough terrain but that is to be expected and I try to chase those down and fix them.

Obvious question...
You wouldn't by chance have it in 4WD do you? That will most certainly cause additional "noises".

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
1500 miles here and I've had mine on pavement many times, everything from slow up to 65 MPH for miles, smooth as silk as far as I can tell but I only have a half windshield. No vibrations, rattles, chatter but those tires are NOISY on pavement.

I do have the occasional rattle on rough terrain but that is to be expected and I try to chase those down and fix them.

Obvious question...
You wouldn't by chance have it in 4WD do you? That will most certainly cause additional "noises".

Not in 4wd, I do have a front and rear windshield so might be quieter than normal because of that.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
added video to first post

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Its best to compare it with another one. They do make a lot of noise especially if you have a windshield and don't wear a helmet.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Its best to compare it with another one. They do make a lot of noise especially if you have a windshield and don't wear a helmet.
I have front and rear windshield. And only wear half helmet so my ears Aernt covered. That may contribute to it. I’m gonna take it to the dealer to compare in person. But from watching a ton of videos of people riding I can’t hear it on anyone else’s.

advertisement
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have front and rear windshield. And only wear half helmet so my ears Aernt covered. That may contribute to it. I’m gonna take it to the dealer to compare in person. But from watching a ton of videos of people riding I can’t hear it on anyone else’s.
Sounds like some of the chatter I experienced in my pioneer 1000. I have a Talon now but don't have much time behind the wheel....
On my pioneer I only noticed that chatter when I was on the road, ended up putting a little Lucas oil stabilizer into the sub transmission it helped quite it down some.
I'm sure you already checked but if not look at your oil level in the sub tranny, mine was a little low when I picked it up.

Reactions: Dragon21
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sounds like some of the chatter I experienced in my pioneer 1000. I have a Talon now but don't have much time behind the wheel....
On my pioneer I only noticed that chatter when I was on the road, ended up putting a little Lucas oil stabilizer into the sub transmission it helped quite it down some.
I'm sure you already checked but if not look at your oil level in the sub tranny, mine was a little low when I picked it up.
yea its the first thing i checked when i got it (not because the noise but because ive seen some come without it). Ive checked it since then and is fine. If the dealer says they cant figure anything out ill try some lucas in it

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
yea its the first thing i checked when i got it (not because the noise but because ive seen some come without it). Ive checked it since then and is fine. If the dealer says they cant figure anything out ill try some lucas in it

I am sorry Dragon21 but I don't hear anything unusual in the video. I like to hear and feel the transmission shifting of the Talon under heavy exceleration. We do wear earplugs all the time. With ear plugs I can separate some noises that otherwise would just be loud noise. We wear ear plugs so that we do not have to get hearing aids like a lot of our generation. But it is your hearing and everyone is free to do what they want.

Last edited:
Reactions: CID
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am sorry Dragon21 but I don't hear anything unusual in the video. I like to hear and feel the transmission shifting of the Talon under heavy exceleration. We do wear earplugs all the time. With ear plugs I can separate some noises that otherwise would just be loud noise. We wear ear plugs so that we do not have to get hearing aids like a lot of our generation. But it is your hearing and everyone is free to do what they want.
When it gets to 30mph and up can you here a ratlle/ chatter noise that continues until i let off the gas. The gear change is sometime completely different. Actually, as its changing gears the chatter stops.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Dealer called me today and they believe it’s the front driveshaft. They removed it and it stopped making the noise. Parts are ordered so will know better when it gets back togather

S

shs456

Aug 16, 2020
turtlecreek nb canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
mine is doing the same thing you were describing,loud chatter under acceleration,in 2wd...i'm going to check my d/s tomorrow...

RedRider059

RedRider059

Dec 6, 2020
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good evening everyone. I'm new to the group. I'm experiencing this same issue with a 2020 Talon 1000r I never heard or maybe noticed this chatter, until I just installed new tires. I just took it out today and really noticed the noise. I'm glad to hear its just a driveshaft issue. I'll remove mine to make sure that's my issue before ordering. I have 940 miles on mine is there anything else everyone is seeing as a warning for other issues?

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Good evening everyone. I'm new to the group. I'm experiencing this same issue with a 2020 Talon 1000r I never heard or maybe noticed this chatter, until I just installed new tires. I just took it out today and really noticed the noise. I'm glad to hear its just a driveshaft issue. I'll remove mine to make sure that's my issue before ordering. I have 940 miles on mine is there anything else everyone is seeing as a warning for other issues?
My 2019 Talon-X Turbo has more of a rattle that seems to be coming from behind the passenger seat so I think it's a different issue. It's almost like an exhaust shield rattle. It's most noticeable when slowly climbing a hill though it also does it some during normal acceleration on level ground. I've checked the Turbo support bracket but that is tight. I've tried putting clamps around the shields to prevent rattling but it didn't make any difference. Has anyone else have this issue?

Sawpilot

Sawpilot

Sep 6, 2018
West Virginia
barnwoodbuilds.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
My R is chattering bad thought it was valves or trans BUT thinks to this thread it is for a fact my driveshaft, I took the hood off and reached down and the driveshaft is real loose.

• Wow
Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement