P700 Non-Ethanol Gas

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do not think using ethanol gas with fuel treatment in a Honda Pioneer that is driven 3 or more days a week will hurt. If I were to store the Pioneer over the winter then non-ethanol gas would be the way to go.
I worked on many motorcycle carbs in spring that sat over the winter with ethanol gas.
I do not know if the gas in the motorcycles had fuel treatment or not. Just was told “ran when parked”.
I think that would be a very good idea about switching to non ethanol gas in the fall. I will also put sea foam or its equivalent in the tank and run it a bit.. I do not plan to be running the sxs over winter from about mid to late November until probably mid to late March depending on conditions. I will probably disconnect the battery and give it a trickle charge now and then if needed.

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Rec gas (non-ethanol) 89 Oct running $5.00/gl in Northern MI yesterday. Reg 87oct gas is $4.19

Been using Rec gas for the last 5 yrs in the boats, yard equipment, garden tractor, play car and now SxS. I still use stabilizer to try and keep it fresh as some times the engines might not get heavy use. No carb or injector issues here. I like how well the Rec gas runs!

There was allot of years where I used standard 87Oct Reg gas. I also used stabilizers there and never had any issues other than fuel lines that got soft from the ethanol. Those fuel lines, mostly yellow/green plastic and the black rubber type, seemed to need to be replaced every 3yrs or so. I got tired of messing with those.

The stabilizer I like is Stabil for Marine Apps as it goes the furthest (1oz for 10gl) and it works on dissipating the condensation of a partially filled tank, should that happen. Also it's good for a years storage.

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
So with snowmobiles storing them over the winter I have learned that none of the additives, IE Stabil both reg and marine and sea foam do not stop the issues of ethenol in the fuel. Ethanol fuel with or without additives have still required the disassembly of the carbs and full cleaning before the season. Ive switched to just filling and running non-ethanol fuel through at the end of the season for the summer and my carb cleaning days are over. So If im not going to be using my pioneer for an extended time I will fill it with non as well.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So with snowmobiles storing them over the winter I have learned that none of the additives, IE Stabil both reg and marine and sea foam do not stop the issues of ethenol in the fuel. Ethanol fuel with or without additives have still required the disassembly of the carbs and full cleaning before the season. Ive switched to just filling and running non-ethanol fuel through at the end of the season for the summer and my carb cleaning days are over. So If im not going to be using my pioneer for an extended time I will fill it with non as well.
I guess I have been very lucky with my two Skidoo carbureted snowmobiles. From about 1998 I have only had to remove and clean the carbs only one time in each sled and using regular 87 octane unleaded with season end stabilizer/sea foam. I also try to fire them up at least once prior to the next season to make sure they are good to go. However using non ethanol regular gas plus stabilizer at the end of sledding season is probably the safest way to go. I will be doing that for sure in my new P1K-3!

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Taryl Fixes All on YouTube did a series regarding gas sitting and tested multiple stabilizers.... He tested once a month for over a year...... The conclusion I came away with is don't leave anything sitting in your carbs for more than a couple months and or, go out and start them once a month during the winter. Some of the stabilizers he tested failed the same as plain old corn gas. Run your small engines empty or go start them once a month.... it's that easy.

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Taryl Fixes All on YouTube did a series regarding gas sitting and tested multiple stabilizers.... He tested once a month for over a year...... The conclusion I came away with is don't leave anything sitting in your carbs for more than a couple months and or, go out and start them once a month during the winter. Some of the stabilizers he tested failed the same as plain old corn gas. Run your small engines empty or go start them once a month.... it's that easy.

Ethanol free gas does quite well. I try to start my sleds a couple times in the summer but sometimes I have forgotten and had no issues.

S

Santa

Jul 30, 2018
Kimberly, WI
Ownership

1. 500
I have used nothing but 87 octane gas with ethanol in my 2017 Pioneer 500 (over 9,000 miles), generators, snowblowers, lawn mowers, snowmobiles, power washers and other gas powered devices. I do use Stabil when storing for more than 3 months. I have never had an issue with using that grade of gasoline.

advertisement
J

JakeLemon

Feb 24, 2021
Boise
Ownership

1. 500
I baby all my equipment. For the small price of additives, to be safe than sorry is a no brainer for me. I have been using Schaeffer's Nutra for years, not only for its benifits in gas storage in fuel systems, but also lubrication. Recently I bought a carb rebuild kit from Mike's Carborator Parts (carborator-parts.com) for my new-to-me 1945 Chevy 1/2 ton restoration project. Specifically for ethenol treatment and especially for fuel systems and engines built before ethanol introduction, Mike swears by and sells "Ethanol Defence", "commercial grade gas and ethanol treatment", by Bell Performance. Their formula DOES NOT CANTAIN ALCOHOL and also addresses water removal. So I give my P-1000 gas a squirt of that too.

Distantly related; I also upgraded the lubs in my P-100 tranny and diffs. Have read in a few places, Amsoil products in these components will reduce cab noise (no, I'm not an Amsoil devotee). I switched to their Severe Gear 80W-90 oil in the 2 diffs and Chaincase and Gear oil in tranny. Yes, I noticed a reduction in gear noise immediatly, of course indicating less friction. These products are covered by Amsoil's "Warranty Secure" policy, guanteeing their use will not voild your factory warranty.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I also upgraded the lubs in my P-100 tranny and diffs
I did the same back in 16’ ish. Used Lucas full syn in them. Quieted it down alot. Was never worried about the warranty stuff. For one, I switched to make it last longer and protect better than the stock fluid And surpass the warranty and second they would have to send a sample out for testing if they wanted to contest it and that I feel is unlikely Unless its obvious your messed something up that was not a defect.

C

ckeele223

Apr 2, 2019
St. George, Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
I don’t think the price is so high for ethanol free fuel to be worth the risk of running ethanol fuel, it’s just not worth it, you cant control when the corrosive element in that fuel will start to destroy components.

L

Leadman2

Mar 2, 2021
Illinois USA
Ownership

1. 700-4
My pioneer 700 is a 2021 and is close to hitting 700 miles. So not really been able to get out much. I will say the man who I dealt with at my Honda dealership told me that it would be best to run non ethanol fuel, and I should not have any trouble. He offered that , and that is what I have and will continue to do. I didn’t question it, but I wonder if he has seen trouble or heard of it , as they sell a large volume of Honda product.

Reactions: Buggyman
Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A few years ago I quit using non ethanol and went to regular 87 just because of price. I do put star tron fuel treatment in it though. I haven't had any issues yet. I do this in the pioneer, boat, lawn mower, tractor, and 2 stroke gas. And it's still cheaper than using non ethanol factoring in my 24 mile round trip to go to a store that sells non ethanol.
I'm with WagginTail, been using star tron for years with ethanol gas.

J

just for kicks

May 10, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if your riding a lot and gas doesn't set up for very long, i would see no problem running the ethanol gas .

Reactions: Dave75 and Buggyman
Amitchellr

Amitchellr

Mar 12, 2022
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
My pioneer 700 is a 2021 and is close to hitting 700 miles. So not really been able to get out much. I will say the man who I dealt with at my Honda dealership told me that it would be best to run non ethanol fuel, and I should not have any trouble. He offered that , and that is what I have and will continue to do. I didn’t question it, but I wonder if he has seen trouble or heard of it , as they sell a large volume of Honda product.
When I purchased the p520 they had recommended the same non ethanol fuel.

Reactions: Dave75 and Buggyman
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
On my P500 is use ethanol free when I can get it. Not a problem at home, but on trips the regular has not been an issue. I regularly use seafoam as mine often will sit for a month of more between uses.

Snow blowers I keep them topped off with ethanol free and seafoam and they have started first pull every year since day one come winter.

Chainsaws, blowers, weed whackers and generators I only run the canned fuels unless doing a big enough job, then I use mix with ethanol free. When done when using the mix I dump the tank and run dry. I'll leave the can fuel in, but never the ethanol free mix.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!