P1000 P1000-5 or Deluxe, buy now or wait until Friday?

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
FWIW, I had a Yamaha Viking before the pioneer. I honestly loved that machine. It did everything I asked it to do. But maintaining the belt and clutches was what got me. I'm very particular about maintaining my machines and I just couldn't put the time Into doing it correctly. I ride with my 4 year old daughter so it was very important that I get back to the truck every time.
But... I also put a different clutch in and wanted to make sure I had the right amount of grease etc... At the end of the day, I enjoyed working on it but just didn't have the time to do it.
On the other hand, there was ALWAYS a way to adjust the power for your needs with aftermarket clutching.
I know it's not the same as the wolverine but same concept.

If you get the wolverine and have time to play around with the clutches, check out JBS out of West Virginia. Or go check out the "hotrod" forums that JBS runs. You will get a good idea of upgrades that are available.
The nice thing is, you really can't make a bad decision; both are good machines.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Funny, look at how he drives and what he does with his P500... I'm amazed that ran after swallowing mud into the air box - then again it is a Honda. I equate that 500, esp after owning one, to the old Fourtrax 300's - I bet they'll last dang near forever if maintained - even slightly.

I think he may have permanently killed his P500 on his last adventure. I have NO intention of doing anything like that but I do ride similar trails a lot (minus mud and water) so he and I probably will feel similar about the quality of the ride. I don't know that he does anything work related with it though. His might be purely recreational. I enjoy his videos though and he does work at a Yamaha/Honda dealership.

Reactions: 500oneer and 500
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
FWIW, I had a Yamaha Viking before the pioneer. I honestly loved that machine. It did everything I asked it to do. But maintaining the belt and clutches was what got me. I'm very particular about maintaining my machines and I just couldn't put the time Into doing it correctly. I ride with my 4 year old daughter so it was very important that I get back to the truck every time.
But... I also put a different clutch in and wanted to make sure I had the right amount of grease etc... At the end of the day, I enjoyed working on it but just didn't have the time to do it.
On the other hand, there was ALWAYS a way to adjust the power for your needs with aftermarket clutching.

If you get the wolverine and have time to play around with the clutches, check out JBS out of West Virginia. Or go check out the "hotrod" forums that JBS runs. You will get a good idea of upgrades that are available.
The nice thing is, you really can't make a bad decision; both are good machines.

Is the P1000 less work to maintain than the Yamaha system? That could definitely be a deciding factor. I like to ride, not wrench. I don't have good place to do it and every time I do, I wind up having to buy more tools that I never use that my brother winds up "borrowing".

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Hunterworks is awesome too, just don't go picking sides on the Wolverine forum or you'll poke a hornet's nest. Wet vs dry, slugs, weights, etc. Actually a cool amount of science goes into clutching - esp since Yamaha has the wet and dry clutch. I know a lot of people smoked their wet clutches due to larger tires and heavy loads without slugging it. I agree with you - I did worry about my wet clutch a good bit when I would bind up in 4 wheel doff lock and hit the gas and it wouldn't spin the tires, stock tires at that. There were just certain situations in 4 wheel diff lock it wouldn't turn them. Could have slugged it and put a spring and weights, but aggravated me I'd have to modify a brand new unit.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Is the P1000 less work to maintain than the Yamaha system? That could definitely be a deciding factor. I like to ride, not wrench. I don't have good place to do it and every time I do, I wind up having to buy more tools that I never use that my brother winds up "borrowing".

I feel that part of it is less maintenance. I always had my clutches opened up and was always trying to perfect the amount of grease, the right weights, etc... It's like a big science experiment that is awesome if you've got the time but I do not. For me, I check the oil in the Honda, check bolts before a big ride, and do the maintenance in the manual. It has enough power to where o don't fee I need to mess with anything g.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I feel that part of it is less maintenance. I always had my clutches opened up and was always trying to perfect the amount of grease, the right weights, etc... It's like a big science experiment that is awesome if you've got the time but I do not. For me, I check the oil in the Honda, check bolts before a big ride, and do the maintenance in the manual. It has enough power to where o don't fee I need to mess with anything g.

Thanks for that. That is exactly what I want to do. Check the oil, air the tires and change the oil and go.

Reactions: jawquin and 500
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hunterworks is awesome too, just don't go picking sides on the Wolverine forum or you'll poke a hornet's nest. Wet vs dry, slugs, weights, etc. Actually a cool amount of science goes into clutching - esp since Yamaha has the wet and dry clutch. I know a lot of people smoked their wet clutches due to larger tires and heavy loads without slugging it. I agree with you - I did worry about my wet clutch a good bit when I would bind up in 4 wheel doff lock and hit the gas and it wouldn't spin the tires, stock tires at that. There were just certain situations in 4 wheel diff lock it wouldn't turn them. Could have slugged it and put a spring and weights, but aggravated me I'd have to modify a brand new unit.

Actually, just don't ask many questions about the clutching at all or someone will get offended. :)

Thank you for sharing that. That was/is one of my hangups/worries about the Wolverine.

Reactions: educ8tedguess
O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
Actually, just don't ask many questions about the clutching at all or someone will get offended. :)

Thank you for sharing that. That was/is one of my hangups/worries about the Wolverine.
Priced have dropped near me 800 to 1000 on pioneer 1000 models, and that Is just asking price! Glad I didn't wait , bought mine 1 month and 300 miles ago. Looks like a buyers market here in central illinois though.

Reactions: BSC
Chipper

Chipper

May 30, 2016
Savannah GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was torn also with the buy now or wait situation !! But I can tell you that I bought mine now and my only regret was not buying sooner!!! Greatest machine ever! I got 60 miles on mine now and still doing break in and I absolutely love it!!! My dad had the one of the first camo rhino that came out and we liked it but we sold it and got rincons, the pioneer 1000-5 deluxe is bad ass! Love the short frame! Thing turns on a dime! And then if you want to take 5 ppl you can!!! This has been exactly what I have been wanting forever!!! I had an ezgo stretch gas golf cart and hated it because it took a football field to turn around. I have been a rincon rider for a long time until now. This thing will go any where. It's a Honda and it's a 1000!! It looks like Honda is gonna fix our heat situation. I got the Camo but the ilusive gun metal charcoal grey or silver looks sweet too. Easy part is buying it, problem is I am addicted now and gonna mod the s*** outta mine, I will be ready for the apocalypse!!! I don't think I will sell mine ever unless they really change something around seriously! This thing is so quiet, reliable and powerful! Never road on a razor so don't know that side but a friend of mine bought a brand new Polaris four wheeler and he could never ride with us cause it was always in the shop.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a P1000.

Is the Deluxe model worth $800 more than the 1000-5?

I see that you get:

-14" Aluminum Wheels
-Radial tire
-LED Lights
-Colored Door/Bed panels

I don't care about the lights or the panels but I do like the wheels and tires. I don't think that they are worth the $800 increase though.

Am I missing anything?

Also, should I wait and see what, if any deals Honda might throw out on July 1st?

My only concern is that if I wait too long, it will be like the Wolverine that I couldn't buy because they were out of stock. I am pretty certain that the 2017 Pioneers will be quite a bit more expensive than the current stock 2016s.
One other advantage to the Deluxe are the load adjusting rear shocks. We often ride with four adults in ours and they are nice. Will also be nice carrying a full load of fire wood.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
One other advantage to the Deluxe are the load adjusting rear shocks. We often ride with four adults in ours and they are nice. Will also be nice carrying a full load of fire wood.

I believe the P1000-5 non-deluxe comes with the adjustable rear shocks too.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe the P1000-5 non-deluxe comes with the adjustable rear shocks too.
I meant self adjusting load leveling shocks. I think only the deluxe version has these.
This is not to be confused with manually adjustable pre load on the springs.

Reactions: joeymt33
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I meant self adjusting load leveling shocks. I think only the deluxe version has these.

Yep and the self adjusting load leveling shocks come on both 5-seater models! Just don't want someone to think they are missing out on that option. It is not a deluxe option but a 5-seater thing for the extra weight of people sitting back there.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Both trim packages come with these

Sent from iPhone

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!