P700 play in bearing? clunking

Hickstrong

Hickstrong

Aug 19, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi, I recently purchased a 2016 700-4. After 2 weeks I noticed a clunk when going from barely moving to slight acceleration with throttle. I jacked the rear end off the ground and have found noticeable play where the rear right axle goes into the differential gear case. I can wiggle the black metal end of the axle up and down and side to side with some force from my hand. When the tires are on the ground it has no play or minimal play. I am assuming this is a bearing issue but the seal is not leaking which usually happens as well when a bearing goes out. Has anyone had similar issues? the machine has just above 900 miles on it.

Or could this be the splines going bad in the axle end....the previous owner had a 24" od-ball tire on the same side after he cut a stock tire beyond repair which could of stressed the axle due to rotational difference. He also operated this Pioneer in sandy deep mud frequently. I discovered sandy mud packed everywhere including in all of the frame tubing. Mud was even up to the fill neck on the gas cap. I am sure the sand didn't help either.

Do the axle splines fit directly into the center of the ring gear? looks like it on the diagram but doesn't show splines inside the center of the ring gear.

any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated! thanks!

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi, I recently purchased a 2016 700-4. After 2 weeks I noticed a clunk when going from barely moving to slight acceleration with throttle. I jacked the rear end off the ground and have found noticeable play where the rear right axle goes into the differential gear case. I can wiggle the black metal end of the axle up and down and side to side with some force from my hand. When the tires are on the ground it has no play or minimal play. I am assuming this is a bearing issue but the seal is not leaking which usually happens as well when a bearing goes out. Has anyone had similar issues? the machine has just above 900 miles on it.

Or could this be the splines going bad in the axle end....the previous owner had a 24" od-ball tire on the same side after he cut a stock tire beyond repair which could of stressed the axle due to rotational difference. He also operated this Pioneer in sandy deep mud frequently. I discovered sandy mud packed everywhere including in all of the frame tubing. Mud was even up to the fill neck on the gas cap. I am sure the sand didn't help either.

Do the axle splines fit directly into the center of the ring gear? looks like it on the diagram but doesn't show splines inside the center of the ring gear.

any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated! thanks!
The rear diff is always locked on the 700, if he had different size tires on each side that would be detrimental to the diff. I would pull both axles and check the bearings, might not be a bad idea to drain the oil and look for metal shavings.

Reactions: Alan_Vander
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
A video would help. Those axles always feel sloppy to me. Same is true of most cars.

H

HondaTech

Had a 700 with a similar sound recently but when applying the slowly from around 15mph, the unit would shudder and make a knocking.

Also felt the same "looseness" in the axle joints and came to the conclusion that it appears to be common even on a new unit.

Seemed to be the rotor was glazed on this unit, yours could just be the 700 driveline knock from the driveshaft mounted brake and the backlash in the final drive.

Hickstrong

Hickstrong

Aug 19, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Had a 700 with a similar sound recently but when applying the slowly from around 15mph, the unit would shudder and make a knocking.

Also felt the same "looseness" in the axle joints and came to the conclusion that it appears to be common even on a new unit.

Seemed to be the rotor was glazed on this unit, yours could just be the 700 driveline knock from the driveshaft mounted brake and the backlash in the final drive.
With the rear of the machine elevated with a floor jack and the parking break on the noise is isolated to the spline ends of the axles where they slide into the ring gear, I pulled an axle and while looking at the other axle's end through the ring gear I can see play between the male and female splines while wiggling the other axle shaft. Simply put there is play in the splines more so on the passenger side. I am assuming the ring gear is harder steel than the axle splines so it should be fine for a while. I did not see any metallic material after wiping the axle spline off(just a few microscopic flakes) Since I also know its not the bearings and the diff fluid is clean..... I guess ill run it and keep an eye on it, Or should I buy new axles? I will try to post a video. Thanks!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!