Safe Plow operation

T

Test_Eng

Jan 10, 2016
Curious how the plow operates on the Honda's compared to my old 800XP???

I have the plow and all the parts needed to assemble and mount the plow on the 1000-3 but I am planning out my wiring on the plow and noticed some big differences between how Polaris and Honda mounts and operates the plow.

To be honest I think Polaris has a better system in how the winch/plow operates but Honda has better parts that should last much longer.

My first question is about how the Winch is restricted from over tensioning the plow mounts while raising the plow. My Polaris had a mechanical limit switch that would contact the bumper and disconnect coil power to the retract contactor?
Is this not needed on the Honda for some reason or do you just need to be careful while using it? I am not opposed to installing a magnetic proximity sensor to my wiring but before I dig in to the wiring I was curious if I am over thinking this.

Picture of Polaris limit switch:
Cb7d059a311676de4006b12b5ee1da55

Proximity sensor:
43af1172a67cd7fd7b2975de2572e8c5

My second question relates to the operation of the winch while plowing. My Polaris has a toggle switch located on the shift handle knob but Honda expects you to use the cable remote controller or a toggle switch on the dash. Will the Polaris s*** knob fit the Honda?

Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

This is the one I had:
62789b94cc362495dd6082d256d58ccb

This is the one I want to try:
2f015c4d8f644a991f569919fca25c56

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
First. know I have never owned a plow... So my .02 cents might be over priced. lol.

But, Seeing I read about a few people breaking lines last year a limiting switch couldn't do anything but help. I have installed a limiter on a friends ATV. It was built into the fairlead somehow and a clamp on the cable triggered it killing the "IN" power. It worked fairly well. Only issue was the hook was not tight and it bounced around. But that would not happen on a plow I guess.

Also, Are you using a pulley? I read that is the best way to go if you are looking to prevent line breakage!

Reactions: JACKAL
T

Test_Eng

Jan 10, 2016
Yes, the Honda kit came with the pulley kit for the 1000-3. I'm not sure if this statement is correct or not but isn't the pulley kit only for changing the winch angle to take stress off the cable?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes, the Honda kit came with the pulley kit for the 1000-3. I'm not sure if this statement is correct or not but isn't the pulley kit only for changing the winch angle to take stress off the cable?
Yes, It takes pressure off the line by dividing it between the extra lines.
It will also slow down the lift and drop.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I would like to know more about this pully kit. Can you post pics and tell us more about it?
Thanks

My 2 cents on the proximity sensor, I had one on my Yamaha Rhino because the plow could only be raised about 6inches before the push tubes would hit the bottom of the frame and start to bend if lifted too high. I installed the plow on my Pioneer 700 and never had an issue. Plenty of clearance, because the lift tubes are mounted on the front of the machine, not under it. No need for a sensor in my opinion.

Reactions: allgm1
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
looking at the popo shifter, you can see the wire going to the switch is tie wrapped to the steel shifter rod going in the dash. That would last very long in the pioneers funky shifter slot. I use a hand held (corded) winch control, they have advantages and dis adv..
Like @Springer said prox switch it not needed on the pioneer, the plow goes up forever, you'll have plenty of time to stop it. Does your pulley mount on the pioneer or your plow?

T

Test_Eng

Jan 10, 2016
I would like to know more about this pully kit. Can you post pics and tell us more about it?
Thanks

My 2 cents on the proximity sensor, I had one on my Yamaha Rhino because the plow could only be raised about 6inches before the push tubes would hit the bottom of the frame and start to bend if lifted too high. I installed the plow on my Pioneer 700 and never had an issue. Plenty of clearance, because the lift tubes are mounted on the front of the machine, not under it. No need for a sensor in my opinion.

Pulley kit:
6eee1421a670bbf7c2f220e8034d68c4
F077c105bcc8b404b8eaa7ff8149bd35
4dc8d1a0acd2bdb0e94636fb75fd89f880fee56b18ef4efa383365c9d84ebe4e

P

posterboy

To be quite honest there is no need for a device that stops the winch on a UTV if you pay attention. There is allot of lift height on the front mount plows and you should not need it. My new Pioneer 1k plow way better than my Polaris could dream of in my opinion.

So lets talk about Warns plow systems. The roller on the tube system has some issues.. Its pretty small in diameter and hard on cable, it does not have a cable keeper to keep the cable from slipping of of the spool and wrecking your cable, it also does nothing for preserving the cable but it does lesson the the pull power from the winch. What wrecks the steel cables on the winches from plowing is the roller that is up buy the winch. You are running a round 12-strand cable over a flat surface... just because the roller is round the surface you are intersecting on the cable is flat. Plus the roller is small in diameter.. Steel has memory. Every time you go up and down with your plow you are bending and then straightening your cable. This breaks down the molecules in the steel and it will separate (break). There pulley is not going to help.

I have a dash mounted switch that I plow with and have no issues operating the shifter and the winch and plowing at the same time. I had more issues getting use to the notches in the shifter compared to the Polaris, but I got it figured out now.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got done setting up my plow setup on the on 700 and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I have the Honda plow mount attached to some custom fab Polaris push tube, attached to a extended Moose country plow. Like some others have said, the Honda plow mount is allows the plow to pivot at the very front of the machine, so you can lift the plow very high. If you have a mid mounted plow you might be interested in the limiting switches, but with the Honda setup I don't believe there is a need. I replaced the steel cable on my winch with some synthetic cable. After doing a bunch of research, I decided to put section of 2" tow strap from Harbor Freight on the end of the synthetic line to lift the winch. The line is super strong and I think it would be tough to break it. One thing I found in my research that makes sense in using the tow strap or even ratchet tie down, is that solves the problem of the cable rats nesting in the winch when you let out the line. Typically when you let the plow down you never let it down just the right amount, which usually leads to the cable getting too much slack in it. When you take up the slack there is a possibility of getting a rats nest of cable line which makes a good day of plowing a miserable one. With the tow strap there is no need for a pulley on the plow and with the 4000 lb winch it acts like the plow is not even there. Enjoy.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Pulley kit:
6eee1421a670bbf7c2f220e8034d68c4
F077c105bcc8b404b8eaa7ff8149bd35
4dc8d1a0acd2bdb0e94636fb75fd89f880fee56b18ef4efa383365c9d84ebe4e
Thanks for posting this. I don't think i will use this for the 1000 unless I run into a problem. Don't use it on my 700 and it is pretty much the same setup.

advertisement
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I use a plow mounted roller, i like how it slows the up and down movement, much easier to control. Sounds like warn just used the wrong roller
20151212 135920 zpsxkbu180k

Johnny

Johnny

Jun 22, 2015
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Where can I get a roller like the one pictured above allgm1?

I was plowing a few minutes ago, and like my previous atv plow system, my 700 cable broke.

Im using the Honda system, love it but I'm sick of breaking cables and trying to repair in freezing weather, my fingers don't like it.

Will synthetic cure the problem? And where is a good place to buy them?

I can see me not needing the proximity sensor because it is true, this plow gets lifted crazy high, I have plenty of time to stop lifting.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Thats a roller for a boat trailer, My plow didn't come with it,its something I threw together. @Johnny how the heck did your cable break? Mine would break on my old atv,but It had limited up travel and I used to fall asleep on the up button.

Reactions: swsebek
Johnny

Johnny

Jun 22, 2015
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I don't know how it broke. I loved the way the setup looked when I brought it home from the dealer, figured where the plow raised so high that I would never hold the up button too long.

1st picture is how the dealer had it rigged when I picked it up. 2nd picture is how far down the cable that it broke.

I have an idea on what the problem is...

20151006 125404 20160124 172208

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I don't know how it broke. I loved the way the setup looked when I brought it home from the dealer, figured where the plow raised so high that I would never hold the up button too long.

1st picture is how the dealer had it rigged when I picked it up. 2nd picture is how far down the cable that it broke.

View attachment 9476 View attachment 9478
Doesn't look right, to me anyway. I wouldn't think you have to tie off some webbing to attach the cable. Here is my setup and I have never snapped a line.

Reactions: Johnny
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 9476 View attachment 9478
Your setup was right @Johnny It is just tough for that steel cable to take any angle other then straight. One change I have made to mine and have been pretty pleased with, is to us a section of 2" tow strap from Harbor Freight. I replaced the steel cable with some synthetic cable but it will still break when you lift up the plow with it stuck in the snow drift. The nice thing about it is that you can just tie a know and go. But this tow strap makes it even better. I think it would be pretty tough to break it, and it can handle the angle going right to the plow. The nice thing is you can even lift the plow while it's still in the drift, which pushes the pile higher. I just left the synthetic cable attached to the winch,removed the hook and half hitched the strap to it. Might be worth doing.
NCM 0230a

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
@Johnny, looks like your cable is not staying on the pulley.? that will eat it up real fast.

Johnny

Johnny

Jun 22, 2015
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks guys, I was thinking my cable wasn't staying in that pulley either.
I like that strap idea.
I bought the ole U-bolts tonight and will do my normal repair tomorrow and I'm going to look it over good.
I just assumed the dealer had the best possible setup since they have the experience, but as usual, I'm the exception!

CarneyRacing

CarneyRacing

Oct 19, 2015
Doesn't look right, to me anyway. I wouldn't think you have to tie off some webbing to attach the cable. Here is my setup and I have never snapped a line.

View attachment 9480

Why connect the hook at the back of tube mount? The way the cable is routed puts extra stress on the roller without any benefit lifting the plow.

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Why connect the hook at the back of tube mount? The way the cable is routed puts extra stress on the roller without any benefit lifting the plow.
It does benefit. The pulley takes stress off the cable. The pulley is made to take the stress. Never had a problem. I use snatch blocks to winch out often. The pulley acts the same as a snatch block

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!