CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Oh. My factory cv joints were not loose one bit. In fact they were almost sized up. I could barely move them by hand.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Factory CV joints or factory U-joints? I ask because what do the CV joints have to do with replacing the driveshaft? Inquiring minds need to know this sheet.

I haven't noticed any zzzzzzz but I do have any annoying howl in 4wd. Quits as soon as I turn it off. If it doesn't quit, I have to blip the throttle to unload the driveline for i4wd to 'unhook'.

Reactions: 906UP and Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Factory CV joints or factory U-joints? I ask because what do the CV joints have to do with replacing the driveshaft? Inquiring minds need to know this sheet.

I haven't noticed any zzzzzzz but I do have any annoying howl in 4wd. Quits as soon as I turn it off. If it doesn't quit, I have to blip the throttle to unload the driveline for i4wd to 'unhook'.
I guess I am referring to the U joint on the drive shaft.
I could not move either end by hand.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Damn, that's tight. :oops:

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It eliminate most of my zzzzz up front.
I still have some also.
Has to be in the differential.
Idk.. I give it a 70% improvement score.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
The front diff has a different gear ratio than the rear, not much but it is different, IIRC the front ring has 1 more tooth, might be the other way around. I've found that the growl could be eliminated by adjusting tire pressure, I run the fronts about 2 psi higher than the rear.

Note, this is with the same size tires F & R.

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The front diff has a different gear ratio than the rear, not much but it is different, IIRC the front ring has 1 more tooth, might be the other way around. ...
Fwiw: that's been done 'forever' in 4wd vehicles - something about engineers want the front end pulling the rear, they don't want the rear pushing the front. It's why you should never run in 4wd on pavement, you'll bind up the driveline to the point of failure.

Reactions: Smitty335 and 906UP
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Fwiw: that's been done 'forever' in 4wd vehicles - something about engineers want the front end pulling the rear, they don't want the rear pushing the front. It's why you should never run in 4wd on pavement, you'll bind up the driveline to the point of failure.

1 tooth difference has ZERO effect on making the front "pull" and will not screw anything up running on pavement in 4wd. Ultra 4 cars have been using different F&R ring and pinion ratios in the 20 to 30% difference range for years with no I'll effects even on pavement.

• Wow
Reactions: CID and Smitty335
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Good write up. Time for my driveshaft fix. May go with SATV just for the fact that it would quiet down the driveline noise. Otherwise I may just change the u joints. I'll see what it looks like when I get the skid plate off. 4,600 hard trail miles on mine.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Good write up. Time for my driveshaft fix. May go with SATV just for the fact that it would quiet down the driveline noise. Otherwise I may just change the u joints. I'll see what it looks like when I get the skid plate off. 4,600 hard trail miles on mine.
Get the SATV driveshaft, you won't regret it

Reactions: User242 and PhilCod
Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
4500 miles on mine, could probably go another k maybe. Started hearing chatter on the road above 35 mph, felt a little play in front shaft. Honda warranty is covering it currently (in shop). If satv had one for a 4 seater may have considered it.

A

adegraw2147

Apr 19, 2024
Walls, MS
Ownership

1. Talon R
We replaced the driveshaft yesterday in ours since putting it back together, the 4wd light is on and will not go off. Any ideas?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
We replaced the driveshaft yesterday in ours since putting it back together, the 4wd light is on and will not go off. Any ideas?
Make sure you have all the speed sensor plugs got plugged back in. Ours was on after also and it was the speed sensor connector on top that is harder to get to that was the problem.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had my dealership put mine on over the winter. Nice and quiet now. I have about 500 miles on the SATV one. So far so good. I did keep the old driveshaft. I'll probably replace the U joints so I have a solid back up. I'm at 5,200 miles now. I'll probably shake it out around 8K.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!