P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Hillbilly Brake has a hole to put a padlock through, so you set it as a parking brake and lock it.

I have a 15' cable that I run through the front wheel, through the steering wheel, and around the roll cage, then I put a lock on it. I figure it's a bit of a deterrent anyway.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'd say you can only do your best with a thick cable or chain and a mega padlock. With how far cordless tools have come, it's worth it but nothing's "bullet proof" anymore.

K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
Not exactly what you are asking about but I put an apple air tag in a cut piece of bike tube and zip tied to rops bar. If stolen I have a gps of sort to try and track it. Very inexpensive if you own an iPhone. I also have one in my trailer.

At the hunting camp I also add a chain and lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Bennesh1

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2021
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not exactly what you are asking about but I put an apple air tag in a cut piece of bike tube and zip tied to rops bar. If stolen I have a gps of sort to try and track it. Very inexpensive if you own an iPhone. I also have one in my trailer.

At the hunting camp I also add a chain and lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Won’t using an air tag like this alert their iPhone that they are being tracked?

B

boOkerT

Apr 20, 2021
Bellingham, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with @P1K5Dave , the hillbilly brake has a spot when activated you can put a pad lock through it and the break can’t be released unless you remove the padlock. You can also put a hidden battery discount on it so it won’t start. But a chain and or a cable and padlock is a visual deterrent that may change somebody’s mind from a distance.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been to a couple county fairs and, well never mind I've never heard of a hillbilly brake how much do they run dollar wise and where would be a good place to buy on line?
Hillbilly break is a vendor on this site and you buy directly from him, as far as cost, I’m not sure but @Hillbilly Brake will know.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been to a couple county fairs and, well never mind I've never heard of a hillbilly brake how much do they run dollar wise and where would be a good place to buy on line?
Go to home page and scroll down to the section that says Vendors, click on hillbilly break and his website should pop up

advertisement
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a Hillbilly Brake on my Pioneer.

Just to add
I use a Ft Knox coupler lock in my Big Tex trailer

And to protect the trailer when attached to the truck or not, I use The Collar. Cast aluminum. Helps prevent your trailer from being detached when attached to the vehicle and parked.

"The Collar" Trailer Hitch Lock for Bulldog-style Couplers (Including the RAM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HL2NM0K/?tag=sxsweb24-20

But, a cordless side wheel grinder and cutting wheels can cut thru almost anything. Given tine. But, a lot of noise, exposure and effort.

Hopefully, you can make a thief move on to easier jobs.

Last year, a guy was trailering an acetylene rig and a generator and plasma cutter and cutting into car wash coin boxes, among other things. Someone also stole a large TELE-HANDLER forklift, and lifted an ATM from a bank drive thru. They cut on it, but failed. It was found dumped in s ditch.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That hillbilly brake is a nice add to your Pioneer, besides just being able to lock it.

Your machine doesn't have a parking brake, it puts the rear diff in 2WD when you're in park as your "brake."

There's a few stories here on the forum where someone parked on a hill and their machine ran off and crashed.

I once had to stop on a pretty steep hill while my buddy got out with the chainsaw and opened the trail. Knowing what I know, I chose to stay in the machine with my foot on the brake.

PapaC

PapaC

Dec 12, 2021
W. Wa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Not sure if would be applicable to the Pioneer, but on Talon you an get a Hess quick-release, and after market steering wheel. That way you can take the steering wheel off and hide it, or take it with you. Adds another layer of deterrent.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As mentioned above, cordless tools can defeat most locks. I'm trying to make it easier to steal someone else's ride.
I have an 8' length of 1/2" square Pewag chain in a sleeve and an Abus Granit (Insurance) lock. In the hills I thread the chain through the rim and lock it through the suspension. On my trailer I thread it through the rear suspension and lock it through the tailgate.

B

boOkerT

Apr 20, 2021
Bellingham, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One other thing I've had success with while hunting/overnight camping and I'm going to leave the ride in the woods is I that I carry concealed weapon and leave a partial open box of ammo visibly in the front seat area. nobody messed with my stuff so far.
Since the side x side is a bit easier to reach into the open cockpit who knows. I know I wouldn't mess with a rig with those red flags and the bottom line is then again I'm not interested in ripping anyone off!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One other thing I've had success with while hunting/overnight camping and I'm going to leave the ride in the woods is I that I carry concealed weapon and leave a partial open box of ammo visibly in the front seat area. nobody messed with my stuff so far.
Since the side x side is a bit easier to reach into the open cockpit who knows. I know I wouldn't mess with a rig with those red flags and the bottom line is then again I'm not interested in ripping anyone off!
These days they’d take the ammo and leave the SxS. It’s worth about the same and a lot easier to carry. 🤣

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!