P1000 Silver Lake, Mi

H

hopeicanaffordthis

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2021
Harpersfield, Oh
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey all, wanting to take my family out there this year (we live near Cleveland, Oh) and have zero experience on dunes. We would be brining a 1987 trx250 and Pioneer 1000. We have a winch but that's about it for performance mods. A few questions for the group: Worth a long weekend (w a family of four with the littlest being two years old)? I figured the lake would be fun for the family and the dunes would be fun for the adults. Also, will we need any special equipment; i.e. Paddle tires or filter covers? Thanks in advance.

Blownzuki

Blownzuki

Truth detector of the NTC.
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2020
Northern Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X4
You have to get a flag to mount to the front of your buggy, and one on the back of the quad. Buy the flags there at apple tree automotive or the place across the street. Permit’s can be pricey, the parking lot is small. Sometimes you have to wait to get a parking spot. Air your tires down. It’s not really that big of a place, about the only fun is watching all the other people. Horsepower is king. I won’t waste my time taking the talon there. Save your money and go to the takeover.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hey all, wanting to take my family out there this year (we live near Cleveland, Oh) and have zero experience on dunes. We would be brining a 1987 trx250 and Pioneer 1000. We have a winch but that's about it for performance mods. A few questions for the group: Worth a long weekend (w a family of four with the littlest being two years old)? I figured the lake would be fun for the family and the dunes would be fun for the adults. Also, will we need any special equipment; i.e. Paddle tires or filter covers? Thanks in advance.
Being a veteran of that place in My home state and use to go there 2 times a year up till 10yrs ago. I would say the kind of fun times your looking for and with a 2 yr old is over. I wouldnt go. I stopped cuz its become a Poo Poo Fire Trap RZR crazy rider frenzy and lots of jeeps last few times I went. Highly recommend paddle tires if u go cuz of the monster hills, the rig just rides better that way their. As mentioned u will need a whip flag on each rig also.
I would recomend going to the
michigan.gov/DNR site and look up trails in the state. Plenty to ride and explore and towns to see. You can also ride out of many motels in the area. If u have a TH there are plenty of UTV friendly campgrounds as well.
Again, just my opinion.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'd ride it one day just to check it out, if you've never been there. As for the long weekend, spend the other days on the Baldwin trail system. Supposed to be the best in the state.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
MI lifer here. Silver Lake Dunes are certainly something to see and experience. The dunes are cool to check out. Prepare for a lot of waiting and a highly controlled environment.

That said, it's not my idea of fun. We have a billion more miles of incredible riding up here that's free and open, and isn't dune.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I would advise against it unless you're going midweek. The weekends are a sausage fest of azzhats trying to out do each other and it usually ends up with someone getting a helicopter ride to a hospital in Grand Rapids. It's definitely not somewhere I'd take young kids unless it was before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. Is it worth the drive from Cleveland?..... IMHO.... HE11 NO

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
We were there last year and unless your rig is street legal (MI standards) you cannot get to the dunes from hotels or campgrounds. Like everyone else said…it is a s***show for sure. After a few hours you can pack it up and move on. And the lake will be cold no matter when you go.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Uh... first we need pictures of the 250 😉 and maybe the pioneer 😁.

I live in the thumb and have never been there. Friends go and tell me I need to go but I have no interest.

H

hopeicanaffordthis

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2021
Harpersfield, Oh
Ownership

1. 1000-3
20230424 072817

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The dunes are broken into three parts. One part is private and you can pay to ride (not drive) an open roof station wagon type vehicle. That company is called Mac Dunes. The second part is the area that sparks your interest to go riding with everyone else. The third part is only open to pedestrian traffic to walk the dunes. That's an experience itself when you realize that the little trees that are sometimes not much taller than you are are actually the tree tops of rather large trees that have been covered by sand over the last hundred years or so. Houses have been gobbled up and continue to be gobbled up on the east side of the dunes at the north end of Silver Lake. You'll drive right by them or at least one of them that you can still see if things haven't changed in the last few years since I've been there.

There are ways to have fun there, you just have to be careful. The only time I rode those dunes was with a rented Jeep. A few of us that paid to rent our own Jeeps followed a tour guide for the first hour and then cut us loose for the second hour. We had to return back to the rental shop on our own. You can drive right up to the lake but not in it because they have that fenced off, causing you to have to get out to walk to the actual shoreline.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I love this forum. May skip the dunes and stick to the trails. Any Drummond Island fans out there?
We've ridden it. Lots of rocks and water. Wasn't a real friendly place to ride in a P5, hit a rock in a water hole and smashed my bash plate and plow bracket. The P1's did alright.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I love this forum. May skip the dunes and stick to the trails. Any Drummond Island fans out there?
We've ridden it a few times, if you've never been there it can be enjoyable, try to pick a wkd (or mid-week) when there isn't a Jeep thing going on. 15 yrs ago it was fun on quads, in the last 5-10yrs the place has been overrun by the Jeep crowd which makes it hard for quads & small SxSs. That said I won't go back, we have better trails locally that I can ride from my house.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!