CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've looked at those and talked with them several times. Trying to make your machine faster while hanging a larger flywheel (larger wheels and tires) on each corner, plus once in motion, they (heavier wheel/tire selection) make your machine harder to stop and not as efficient when stopping while increasing brake fluid temps. If you're boiling your the brakes and/or losing the pedal, this generally one of the first places you look. Decreasing rotational mass would put less wear and tear on the driveline and get you up on the cam quicker. Any track car I've had, first thing I sorted was the suspension and brakes, then reducing rotational mass. Clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, brakes and wheels, studs and nuts, then tuning, gearing and discarding non essential weight. Back to the wheels, trail riding is fun in a machine with more power, but I was concerned with the rocks and the trees that seems to run closer to the edge of the trail when I approach. My right front enjoys being sideswiped for some reason? I'm on the bubble on the wheels. They are rebuildable, and definitely carry a spare which I already do.
Thanks, Scrapp, some great racing efficiency insights. 👍

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've looked at those and talked with them several times. Trying to make your machine faster while hanging a larger flywheel (larger wheels and tires) on each corner, plus once in motion, they (heavier wheel/tire selection) make your machine harder to stop and not as efficient when stopping while increasing brake fluid temps. If you're boiling your the brakes and/or losing the pedal, this generally one of the first places you look. Decreasing rotational mass would put less wear and tear on the driveline and get you up on the cam quicker. Any track car I've had, first thing I sorted was the suspension and brakes, then reducing rotational mass. Clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, brakes and wheels, studs and nuts, then tuning, gearing and discarding non essential weight. Back to the wheels, trail riding is fun in a machine with more power, but I was concerned with the rocks and the trees that seems to run closer to the edge of the trail when I approach. My right front enjoys being sideswiped for some reason? I'm on the bubble on the wheels. They are rebuildable, and definitely carry a spare which I already do.

I 100% agree with all of this.

I wouldn't even consider these wheels for a trail wheeler. To expensive and not all that strong vs cast beadlocks.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Non beadlocks raises some questions -
1. How many competitors run without them?
2. What tire pressures are you running that makes that choice possible?
3. Do those wheels have that 'new' inner beadlock ridge that negates the need for the old syle BLs? They seem to be catching on in the off road racing community for the reasons you mentioned.
4. Even at my <racing speeds, I'll come down hard on a front tire a couple of times a day making me glad I have beadlocks, but I run 8-10 lbs. on all 4 corners.
5. You've been very successful so don't think I'm questioning your motives, they're obviously working.

When I was running the American Racer and Hoosier dirt track tires at 10psi front and 12psi rear beadlocks all the way around were a necessity. With the Hoosier Bites I run now they work best at 18-20psi and beadlocks are not necessary on the fronts. I'll never run non-beadlocked rear wheels though, I learned my lesson but luckily it wasn't the hard way. Trying to make the car accelerate quicker i decided to try 4 rear stock wheels. I won the race that this happened in and the tire didn't loose a single PSI but I think one more corner and I would have went from hero to zero.

20210619 204212

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The titanium beadlock bolts for the rear wheels showed up Friday. They are a 1/2 pound lighter per wheel than the grade 8 bolts I took out.

20240224 205737

With the new front wheels and these Ti bolts I'll be pulling another 8lbs of rotating weight out of the car.

I also ordered an Antigravity lithium battery that weights 2.5lbs vs the 14lb gel cell battery I run now.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
New battery showed up this week along with my new SS braided brake lines.......

Tiny little thing!
20240301 180237

20240302 085050

And as an added bonus, the fittings from the poly brake line kit I bought a few months ago screw right into the new brake hoses so running them from the master cylinder to the hoses is going to be easy peasy.

20240301 194813

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
New front wheels came in yesterday.....

20240302 185631

And I made a new roof out of .035 aluminum sheet today that's exactly 10lbs lighter than the old .090 roof I ran last year. Taking 10lbs out of the very top of the chassis is a big win in my book!

20240303 153207

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got some work done on the car this weekend.....

First I got the tires mounted on the new front wheels and tossed one of them on the trusty garage bathroom scale to see where I was at. It ended up being 3.75lbs per wheel/tire less than the beadlocks so I shaved another 8.5lbs of rotating weight out of the car not counting the 1/2lb of weight I lost with the titanium beadlock bolts on the rear.

20240309 173657

20240309 173512

After the tires were back on I tackled the seat mount for the new carbon fiber seat I picked up a couple months ago. Due to the design of the bottom of the seat I was able to get my ass several inches lower in the car without moving the computers under the seat.

20240309 183936

And I'm throwing in this picture I took at sunset yesterday just because.....

20240309 183852

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Just curious how many Big Mac value meals you're eating these days? Getting the all out of your machine is going to make it quicker, handle better and give the ability to carry more speed through the corners and rough considering the suspension isn't working as hard, and braking should be noticeably enhanced as well. Lowering your center of gravity with the new seat smart as well.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just curious how many Big Mac value meals you're eating these days? Getting the all out of your machine is going to make it quicker, handle better and give the ability to carry more speed through the corners and rough considering the suspension isn't working as hard, and braking should be noticeably enhanced as well. Lowering your center of gravity with the new seat smart as well.

I'm 6' 2" and 180lbs soaking wet. No room for weight loss in the driver area or I'll have to fill my pockets with rocks so I don't blow away in the Texas wind. 🤣

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Last night I ordered the adapter fittings I need for the master cylinder and calipers so I can plumb the poly brake lines and remove the ABS unit and all the steel brake lines. I also ordered a new window net mounting kit because MAO changed the rule this season and my old one is now illegal. 😕

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
So things got a little out of hand at the beginning of the week when I went to finalize the seat bracket. I pulled the floors and console out to have a better look at things and figured out pretty quick that I could move all the computers and wiring under the seat over to the passenger side without any issue and then started looking at the shifter/passenger seat mount and decided some things could use lightning so I pulled out the sawzall and with a few snips a bunch of weight fell off the car.....

20240311 204925

20240311 220807

20240311 220750

20240311 221436

The bar with the bolts from behind the seats in the last picture is getting replaced with a piece of tubing that will be welded in once I cut the frame side slugs off and cap the ends of the tube.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
This thing weights 6.5lbs according to my trusty shop bathroom scale.....

20240316 124110

New braided brake hoses and poly line fittings are bolted in.....

20240316 124057

20240316 130150

Today I'm going to pull the rest of the steel lines out along with the rear brake hoses and get the new rear hoses installed so I can get going on routing the new poly lines along the chassis and up to the master cylinder. Unfortunately I ordered the wrong adapters for the master cylinder so I'll have to wait until mid next week when the new fittings get here to get it all hooked up and bled. 😒

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Later today I'm meeting up with another member from here to trade a set of stock 2019 R front suspension arms for his 2024 Talon R-4 front arms. I'm curious to see how shrinking the WB on my car makes it handle. We had minimum WB rules in roundy round racing so I'm thinking that shortening up the WB on my Talon will be a good thing. We shall see.....

Reactions: NTCPrezJB and CID
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Later today I'm meeting up with another member from here to trade a set of stock 2019 R front suspension arms for his 2024 Talon R-4 front arms. I'm curious to see how shrinking the WB on my car makes it handle. We had minimum WB rules in roundy round racing so I'm thinking that shortening up the WB on my Talon will be a good thing. We shall see.....
awesome - how many pounds overall have you dropped?

can't wait to see when you switch to all titanium fasteners on the car and any shots of this fancy driveshaft?

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
awesome - how many pounds overall have you dropped?

can't wait to see when you switch to all titanium fasteners on the car and any shots of this fancy driveshaft?

I won't know how much weight I lost until it's all together and back on the scales but I'm shooting for 1650lbs or less with me in it and full of fuel.

Funny you mentioned the titanium fasteners, I've been looking at this website casually the last few days.....

No carbon fiber driveshaft yet, the front clutch delete parts are still being made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coeus and NTCPrezJB
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got the front brakes hooked up to the master cylinder and the rear brake line from the master cylinder back to the proportioning valve I mounted to the shifter. Once I get the wiring all straightened out and secured in its new home on the passenger side I'll finish running the brake line from the prop valve to the rear brake tee.

20240323 122722

20240323 122738

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!