CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I may have mentioned this before but we do Honda Moly blend in our sub trans changes.

Even get Honda to pay for it on waranty rebuilds. 😁
This stuff?

Photo thx to hondabob -

Reactions: Smitty335
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Belay that inquiry; I scrolled back a few poss and located the answer; 10W-40 I’ll try the 10W-40 or 10W-50 (if available)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Belay that inquiry; I scrolled back a few poss and located the answer; 10W-40 I’ll try the 10W-40 or 10W-50 (if available)
Note that the sub trans doesn't spin until you're moving, so warming up the engine isn't warming up the sub trans - don't take off like a bat outta hell, give it a bit to loosen up at those extreme temps. That's also good for wheel bearings, diffs, etc.

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Pioneer 1000 is a little different from your past Honda ATV or SxS's. With the 1000, there are 3 different categories that need to be discussed when changing the oil. We will try out best to cover them in detail. The idea is to help you complete the oil change at home on your own vs paying a dealer $$$ to do it!
  1. Engine Oil and Filter
  2. DCT Filter
  3. Sub Transmission
See Engine and DCT oil change guide -> HERE!
In this thread, we will ONLY be discussing the Sub-Transmission Oil drain and fill.
***WARNING - DO NOT DRAIN THE WRONG PLUG!***

Before we start it is important that you locate each drain and be able to tell which one is for what. There is 3 drains and they can be easily mixed up causing you draining the wrong one!
View attachment 10962

Tools needed:
  • A 17mm socket & ratchet.
  • Drain Pan to catch old oil.
  • Few shop rags.
  • Funnel with extended tube to reach into the fill hole. I use a version of this funnel from Walmart, it lets you turn the flow on and off as well as measured calibrations on the side: FloTool Measu-Funnel, 7pc - Walmart.com
Required Oil:
  • The Sub Trans requires the same type and weight of oil as the motor and DCT.
  • Recommended Oil - Pro Honda GN4 10w30, 4-Stroke Motor Oil - Buy Here
  • 1.27 US qt (1.2 liters) upon draining.
Additional parts you may need:
Note: Honda says replace the crush washer each time, most people do not!

Prepare the work area and the SxS:
Locate a safe and level spot to park the SxS.
DRIVE the SxS long enough to warm the engine. Around 5 minuets.
Drive to selected level spot.
Insure SxS is in park.
Turn off and remove key

Step 1: Remove the seat bottom where you will then be able to see and access the Sub-Transmission oil check dipstick / oil fill hole. It will be just off center more towards the passenger side for access and refill. Clean all dirt away from around the dipstick and remove it to improve draining oil flow.

View attachment 10723

Step 2: For draining the Sub-Transmission only remove the drain plug noted on the far left of the below image. It's bolt head is bigger (17mm) than both the Engine and DCT drain plug head (12mm) size. Situate a drain pan below the Sub-Transmission plug and remove it to drain the oil.

View attachment 10722

Step 3: Once all oil has been drained replace the drain plug using the same 17mm socket.

Step 4: Fill the Sub-Transmission with approx. 1.27 US quarts of specified oil using a suitable funnel.
Note: Sub-Transmission uses same type / viscosity oil as Engine/ DCT.

View attachment 10724

Step 5: Insert dipstick, (do not screw in) remove and check oil level, ensure oil level is between the high and low marks on the dipstick add oil as needed to achieve proper level.
[Add image of dipstick with proper oil level]

Step 6: If oil level is OK screw in dipstick and re attach seat base. Mission accomplished!

Now you are all set and ready to hit the trail.
Good luck and be safe.

Step 7: Posting about this guide!
If you found this guide useful please post and let us know. Not only does it show its use, it also bumps the post for other members to see and save some $$$ changing there own oil!

If you need further help please post below.

If you see a error, mistake or something out of order please let us know so it can be corrected.
Note: We make no claims of accuracy. Please referee to the service manual for official details.
How often is this recommended for?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just did my sub trans for the first time today at 1400 miles! Thank you @JACKAL for the wonderful write up and Thank You @Hondasxs for the foundation of all this wonderful information!

IMG20220904131719

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My sub-transmission makes a lot of whine. For my first service I drained all 3 drains. Filled sub-trans with synthetic 75-140 and engine/dct with honda oil. Is quieter now. If sub-trans is just a gearbox, why put engine oil in it? Will let you know in a few years if it has any effect.

UPDATE: Thick gear oil in sub-trans is a no-go. Gears grind like the oil is holding the gears from shifting on the shaft. Oh well. Had to try. After 5 miles changed it back to Honda specs.
Wonder how 75-90 do sub transmission

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Way too thick! I imagine shifting would be tough in the cold or everything was completely up to temperature. 10-30 seems to work just fine.
So what do you use or recommend I see people using 10-40 royal purple or the Mobile 1 stuff I am fixing to change all my fluids and I just want something better in the sub transmission

Reactions: ChadD
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I switched to Mobil One synthetic 10-40 in my subtransmision over two years ago and almost 8000 miles ago without any issues. I think it shifts from high to low easier especially when cold

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
So what do you use or recommend I see people using 10-40 royal purple or the Mobile 1 stuff I am fixing to change all my fluids and I just want something better in the sub transmission
Mobil 1 and Royal purple both make a great product, just stick to the recommended weight range and specs. But I definitely wouldn't want to run gear oil in the sub trans.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Wow! what a great procedure guide you posted for these oil changes. So helpful.
Is this still current for my 2021 Pioneer 1000-5?
Yup!

Where bouts u in the Big Gretch🤢🤮 state?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I Live in Baldwin Now and Retired. origainally from Livingston county,mi
Ahhh cool!
I have a cabin in the Gaylord area.
Use to live In Livingston co, now in Ingham in the sticks. Your not too far from trails in Baldwin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!