Future The Honda Talon 1000 is coming!

S

Ship4brains

Aug 4, 2015
The rear end of the Yamaha is an acquired taste. I thought they were ugly as F when I first saw them, the slowly warmed up to the looks, then fell in love. Drive one. The handling is amazing. Now, I personally don't think it's an ideal slow trail rig. Without the gear reduction kit, it's just not geared for such use. Let out the clutch, and at idle its moving 5mph. It doesn't really build good power until 4000 rpm. It's intended for racing tracks and open areas. The damn thing spins almost 11000 rpm. I didn't buy it for tight trail rides.

My 700 has gone anywhere my friends bigger machines have gone as well, but I've had to have a 250lb friend stand on the front bumper once to get up a stair stepped hill to keep the front end from coming over. Another area where I've had problems is off camber climbs.....it wants to tip where the longer machines with better suspension have no issues. Other than that, it's been a good machine.

Reactions: LandPioneer
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
IMG 3255

Reactions: JTW
Bam85

Bam85

Feb 7, 2017
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This click bait s*** from Honda SXS Club is really getting old. At least change the title of this thread and get a little credibility. I'm glad this is stupid forum is linked to my Yahoo account like all the other spam notices.

H

HondaTech

I will NOT purchase any Honda vehicle with the dual clutch transmission, especially considering the transmission components share the same lubrication as the engine. No. Never.

I got tired of waiting for this and bought a Yamaha YXZ. Manual transmission. Transmission case is divorced from engine. No cross contamination of clutch fibers/tranny junk into the engine lube. It just makes sense.

I have a Pioneer 700 I use for most trail riding. The little turd is slow, but rock solid. The torque converter is perfect for slow riding, stop and go riding, and trail crawling. Double the HP, add 2 more gears and I'd be interested.

I hate to tell you this, but your 700 is the same way as the 1000. They both use the same oil for both engine and transmission. If you want to talk about transmission problems then look no further than the old Big Red. Same engine as the 700, if you don't change the oil regularly then the 700 won't give you the reliability either.

I've seen more issues out of the 700 engine overall then the 1000. Cam chain tensioners, worn cam lobes, bad oil suction tubes causin low oil pressure. Like I said in a previous post, the 1000 seems to be a rock solid engine overall. I had 2 out there with over 6000 miles and not the first issue, other than heat complaints. I don't regard the heat issue as a real problem, cause every SXS I've ever ridden in gets hot.

QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I hate to tell you this, but your 700 is the same way as the 1000. They both use the same oil for both engine and transmission. If you want to talk about transmission problems then look no further than the old Big Red. Same engine as the 700, if you don't change the oil regularly then the 700 won't give you the reliability either.

I've seen more issues out of the 700 engine overall then the 1000. Cam chain tensioners, worn cam lobes, bad oil suction tubes causin low oil pressure. Like I said in a previous post, the 1000 seems to be a rock solid engine overall. I had 2 out there with over 6000 miles and not the first issue, other than heat complaints. I don't regard the heat issue as a real problem, cause every SXS I've ever ridden in gets hot.

I think almost every hand clutch motorcycle I've owned until recently (new 4 stroke motocross bikes) has had shared clutch and motor oil. Wasn't a problem then.

I'm Not that things don't evolve. I'm just saying no matter what you own if you change the friggin oil and it prolongs your engine life and shouldn't be the cause of an engine failure. I've 200x's 400ex's XR's, I don't even think my 08 WR20R had separate engine and tranny oil.

Reactions: ohanacreek
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
The rear end of the Yamaha is an acquired taste. I thought they were ugly as F when I first saw them, the slowly warmed up to the looks, then fell in love. Drive one. The handling is amazing. Now, I personally don't think it's an ideal slow trail rig. Without the gear reduction kit, it's just not geared for such use. Let out the clutch, and at idle its moving 5mph. It doesn't really build good power until 4000 rpm. It's intended for racing tracks and open areas. The damn thing spins almost 11000 rpm. I didn't buy it for tight trail rides.

My 700 has gone anywhere my friends bigger machines have gone as well, but I've had to have a 250lb friend stand on the front bumper once to get up a stair stepped hill to keep the front end from coming over. Another area where I've had problems is off camber climbs.....it wants to tip where the longer machines with better suspension have no issues. Other than that, it's been a good machine.
I haven't driven one but there's no way I start liking the look of the rear end:eek:. The front looks fine but the plastics just end in mid air in the back... All I do is trail ride mostly very rough terrain. The occasional run down the road but not very often. So without a change the YXZ would not work well. Hopefully they come out with something geared more for mountainous terrain. I will say I love driving a 5 speed. I've had a 5/6 speed vehicle of some kind since I was 14. However, it'd be nice to turn it on or off when rock climbing. Not necessary but nice...
Yep you can see mine sitting straight up in the air on my avatar. We are resting on the back of the cage Lol. I agree with the off camber climbs as well. Installing Fox Shocks and taking my sway bar loose helped tremendously. However, I am constantly on 2 wheels in places that the RZRs don't even flinch at. An aftermarket long travel kit would do wonders for this machine as far as stability. It also needs the wheel base spread out a touch (front to back). I've beat the H3LL out of the bottom of my front bumper since it is the first thing that hits a steep hill. A longer wheel base would also stop the raring up problem IMO.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
other than heat complaints. I don't regard the heat issue as a real problem, cause every SXS I've ever ridden in gets hot.
There are ways to fix (or drastically reduce) the heat issue. Why does that responsibility fall on the customer? Honda should put in a little fan, add some heat reflective material, etc. I think it's a cop out to say all SxS's have heat problems or other similar faults. Fix those problems and be the Honda name people love and trust. If I wanted (virtually) required aftermarket parts and poor quality I'd go buy a Polaris.

Reactions: sharp
H

HondaTech

There are ways to fix (or drastically reduce) the heat issue. Why does that responsibility fall on the customer? Honda should put in a little fan, add some heat reflective material, etc. I think it's a cop out to say all SxS's have heat problems or other similar faults. Fix those problems and be the Honda name people love and trust. If I wanted (virtually) required aftermarket parts and poor quality I'd go buy a Polaris.

Ride in a Teryx, then the heat becomes an issue. Kawasaki never has given 2 s***s to fix those things. Maybe they updated the newer ones to some degree but never thought about helping out older units. The only reason this has become a big whoop is because it's Honda.

I relate this to the big b**** fest about the news CRF250R. Everybody wanted Honda to make an
e-start ever since KTM started it. They did now everyone is pissed, why? Because there isn't a back up kickstarter. KTM has never had one and nobody gave 2 s***s about it. Honda does it, and the whole world's gonna end . I hate that everyone looks past the junk Polaris has put our for the last 10 or more years and piles a few small issues on Honda. I'd take a P1K anywhere, anyway over a junk ass Polaris.

H

HondaTech

I think almost every hand clutch motorcycle I've owned until recently (new 4 stroke motocross bikes) has had shared clutch and motor oil. Wasn't a problem then.

I'm Not that things don't evolve. I'm just saying no matter what you own if you change the friggin oil and it prolongs your engine life and shouldn't be the cause of an engine failure. I've 200x's 400ex's XR's, I don't even think my 08 WR20R had separate engine and tranny oil.

The only difference in these units is the trans utilizes the oil to engage itself. Most others are just lubricating the gears. When you use pressurized oil to enage stuff it needs to be held to a tighter tolerance than just sloshing around in some gearbox. I really wish Honda would've separated the 2 oil sumps. Make for alot better and cleaner oil for both sides.

advertisement
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ride in a Teryx, then the heat becomes an issue. Kawasaki never has given 2 s***s to fix those things. Maybe they updated the newer ones to some degree but never thought about helping out older units. The only reason this has become a big whoop is because it's Honda.

I relate this to the big b**** fest about the news CRF250R. Everybody wanted Honda to make an
e-start ever since KTM started it. They did now everyone is pissed, why? Because there isn't a back up kickstarter. KTM has never had one and nobody gave 2 s***s about it. Honda does it, and the whole world's gonna end . I hate that everyone looks past the junk Polaris has put our for the last 10 or more years and piles a few small issues on Honda. I'd take a P1K anywhere, anyway over a junk ass Polaris.
Let's say Bill has a small drinking problem. His wife is on his @ss questioning him about it. Bill's reply is my buddy Marty has a drinking problem worse than me. Does that mean Bill doesn't have a drinking problem? He may not have a drinking problem as bad as Marty but he still has one. Obviously you can see where I'm going with this... Bill needs to find a wife that drinks beer Lol. Really though, just because Kawasaki has a heat issue doesn't mean Honda should overlook theirs. If it were me I'd aim to fix all problems however minor they are. Will it cost money? Sure... But I'm sure most of us are willing to fork out a little more coin to get the best machine possible. I don't want to worry that Honda half @ss put the machine together. I don't want to need to install a heat deflector under my seat, upgrade bushings in my door, or snorkel it for mud puddles day 1. I want Honda to take care of that crap. Hell that's the reason they are the brand I support. I want them to set the standard that other brands are chasing after. The whole off-road community would benefit since it would also encourage other brands to stop producing junk. I'm tired of hearing "that is just part of owning a SxS". People don't accept that in the auto world, why should we accept it in the SxS world? ***I realize there are unavoidable costs like scratching stuff and breaking stuff from driver error, etc. I'm talking about the things that are noticeably overlooked and evident when riding a stock machine for a couple of hours...

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
This click bait s*** from Honda SXS Club is really getting old. At least change the title of this thread and get a little credibility. I'm glad this is stupid forum is linked to my Yahoo account like all the other spam notices.
Your on the s*** list now.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Between having e-start and kick then two separate oil reservoirs is why I chose the crf250x over the WR.16000 miles on a problem free bike.
Always nice to separate the two for conditions and temperatures. I do wish the 1000 did this as well however none of our other bikes separated oils but I don’t think bikes are as susceptible to clutch issues having 1/2 the power, twice as many larger clutches,pulling 10% the weight and 1/4 the traction.

Last edited:
QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand

The only difference in these units is the trans utilizes the oil to engage itself. Most others are just lubricating the gears. When you use pressurized oil to enage stuff it needs to be held to a tighter tolerance than just sloshing around in some gearbox. I really wish Honda would've separated the 2 oil sumps. Make for alot better and cleaner oil for both sides.
OK, I can see that point. Don't want to reduce the pressure to engage from a flow problem. I still don't think I'm going to worry about it on my 700. :)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
OK, I can see that point. Don't want to reduce the pressure to engage from a flow problem. I still don't think I'm going to worry about it on my 700. :)
Your 700 is an entirely different design much like an automotive torque converter. The P1K concern does not apply.

QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Between having e-start and kick then two separate oil reservoirs is why I chose the crf250x over the WR.16000 miles on a problem free bike.
Always nice to separate the two for conditions and temperatures. I do wish the 1000 did this as well however none of our other bikes separated oils but I don’t think bikes are as susceptible to clutch issues having 1/2 the power, twice as many larger clutches,pulling 10% the weight and 1/4 the traction.
I'm guessing it for s

The KTM's had back up kick start for a while after the E-Start. Maybe that softened the blow at first. I have two an 08 XCF and an 08 XCF-W, both have kick and the magic button. I'll tell you though. The kick start never get's used LOL. I bet Honda was aware of this and thought why bother.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!